what would you describe vcha as: kpop or just pop? what about xg? black swan?

• for me, vcha is a regular pop group but xg is kinda 50-50 since their songs are in english but they do appear in korean variety shows. and i would call black swan just a straight-up kpop group since their songs are in korean and some of the members have appeared in shows like knowing bros and whatever

• I think it starts getting into what the definition of what "kpop" is, and if that definition has shifted/is shifting in recent years as kpops global reach increased.

If you define kpop purely as "pop music from korea/korean labels/(more controversially)majority of members are Korean", then I guess only Black Swan counts.

If you look at the definition of kpop as a genre or style of music, with certain elements that help distinguish it from other musical genres, then it becomes more difficult. Maybe it'd be more fair to say kpop inspired?

But theres precedent for a style of music breaking free from its more regional definition to a more genre based one. The various Britpop waves (and British Invasion) that spawned copycat style groups in countries that music became popular in. The late 90's/early 00's Latin music boom that heavily influenced music elsewhere. Or Rockabilly, which really has roots in Southern Americana, but is emulated and copied in many other countries.

• finally someone understands how important it is to define this!!! lol

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!