CNN spilling more tea on Grammy snub and BTS engagement supremacy; ARMYs discuss

• ARMY discuss!

So epic that CNN picked up @ResearchBTS who did stats on BTS related tweets (4.4m) vs Grammy-only tweets (1.5m). That was one epic graph.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/15…e-opinion-yang/index.html

But it was Korean superstars BTS who had perhaps the most anticipated number of the night -- celebrating the group's first-ever nomination with a rendition of their English-language megahit "Dynamite." Their number was sleek pop perfection, with the polish of countless hours of practice -- but sung and danced with a sheer joy that made clear that they put in the work out of love, not duty. It was the kind of performance that clearly reminded us how music transcends boundaries, connecting us despite differences of race, language, culture and identity -- when we give it the chance to do so by giving a full spectrum of performers time in the spotlight.

The bottom line is that the Grammys need diverse creators and audiences more than diverse creators and audiences need the Grammys. Consider this, after all: As noted by one Twitter account reporting on the platform's hashtag data during the Grammys, fans generated over 4.4 million tweets about BTS. The #Grammys hashtag on its own — when stripped of BTS references — had just 1.5 million.

Are you a new baby ARMY? Want to meet fellow ARMYs? >Click here!<
    ezgif.com-gif-maker_3.gif

• drchimchim

Changed the title of the thread from “CNN spilling more tea on Grammy snub; ARMYs discuss” to “CNN spilling more tea on Grammy snub and BTS engagement supremacy; ARMYs discuss”.
  • I just shared this in myaza’s thread. But I agree that this need a whole new thread :borahae:

What I’m seeing here is that win or lose, BTS is creating noise and making people think and discuss old old problems. The movement of needing diversity and loosening the gate keeping in Grammy has started for a while now, and I’m happy that BTS is a part of it.

And I’m also happy that BTS performance made many non fans appreciate their exuberance and charms on stage because their love of performing was evident.

• I just found out that Grammys even shortened the original Dynamite length and had them sing a shorter version to wrap it up in less than 3 minutes. They kept announcing BTS as the next performer in every ad break for the last 1.5 hours of the show and gave them that!!!

The shamelessness Grammys displayed that night deserves more call outs.

• Looks like the Grammys still got the W on this one.

Didnt give BTS the (well deserved) win just to bring them back again next year (hopefully with a win this time) and gain some insane online traction once again.

You hate me? Well, remember it's mind over matter. I do not mind and you do not matter.

9469e72bd497f024e0531bc6136b58c078539597.gif

• The data is shocking tbh :eek:

Atleast the fandom ended up not giving them the social media clout they wanted by boycotting the hashtag and instead dominating the trends with our own hashtag. Initially I was opposed to such tactics thinking it would hurt the boys in the long run but after the shitshow Grammy pulled that night, idc anymore, it can't possibly get worse than this.

• If you look at the Grammy governing board isn’t it like 70% middle aged white people. The Grammys are out of touch and afraid of change. The whole debacle with The Weekend made zero sense to anyone. Was it true they did it as retaliation for his super bowl gig I don’t know. Do they not respect artists of KPop, possibly. But the Grammys need an incredible overhaul of how work is nominated and judged

• Atleast the fandom ended up not giving them the social media clout they wanted by boycotting the hashtag and instead dominating the trends with our own hashtag. Initially I was opposed to such tactics thinking it would hurt the boys in the long run but after the shitshow Grammy pulled that night, idc anymore, it can't possibly get worse than this.

I’m also kinda happy about the pre-show getting more views (12m according to Grammy themselves) than the main show (8m). The pre-show had no sponsorship or ads so scammys couldn’t really profit off of it at all. And the huge viewership gave the spotlight to all the artists and musicians who actually care about music: the classical musicians, musical theater artists, alternative independent musicians. We also saw some pretty dope and soulful performances. Honestly the pre-show was way more interesting than the main show if I had to be honest. The winners were actually ecstatic to win.

• If you look at the Grammy governing board isn’t it like 70% middle aged white people. The Grammys are out of touch and afraid of change. The whole debacle with The Weekend made zero sense to anyone. Was it true they did it as retaliation for his super bowl gig I don’t know. Do they not respect artists of KPop, possibly. But the Grammys need an incredible overhaul of how work is nominated and judged

Transparency is all people wanted for years. But they are literally just killing themselves slowly at this point

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!