Will YG make their real japanese girl group in the near future?

• The answer is yes. They just appointed a new CEO for YG Japan and moved to a new building.

Board Analysis] Is YG Entertainment Growing Influence in Japan Through YG Japan?

Sunghee Kim, Executive Vice President, Prospects to Accelerate Overseas Expansion... Multinational group debut this yearReporter Sunjoong Hwang | Public 2023-02-28 12:45:40

This article was published on February 27, 2023 at 07:47 THE CFO .

At this year's regular shareholders' meeting, YG Entertainment announced that it would appoint Kim Sung-hee, Vice President of Strategy Division, who is concurrently serving as YG Japan's representative, as a new inside director.

In the market, there are observations that it is a rough sketch to target the Japanese market in earnest. It is explained that it contains the will to increase the influence of the Japanese market, which is lagging behind competitors.

YG Entertainment is expected to speed up its overseas expansion through the multinational girl group 'Baby Monster', which is scheduled to debut this year.

◇ Kim Seong-hee, CEO of YG Japan, rises to head office inside director

According to the electronic disclosure by the Financial Supervisory Service, YG Entertainment plans to appoint Kim Sung-hee, vice president of strategy division, as an inside director at the regular shareholders' meeting to be held in March. Vice President Kim, born in 1973, served as COO at NATURAL9, a corporation jointly established by Samsung C&T and YG Entertainment. He also served as the head of global business development at Samsung C&T.

Currently, YG Entertainment has a total of three executive directors. Singer Sean (Noh Seung-hwan) serves as an executive director along with co-CEOs Yang Min-seok and Hwang Bo-kyung. Considering that Sean's term as an inside director expires in March, Vice President Kim is expected to replace Sean. Sean has maintained his position as an inside director for nearly 10 years, from 2014 to the present.

20230224174423108.png

What stands out is the fact that Vice President Kim is concurrently serving as YG Japan's representative. YG Japan, located in Japan, serves as a forward base for YG Entertainment's advancement into Japan. In addition to YG Japan, YG Entertainment established YG Asia in Hong Kong to advance into China and YG USA in the United States to advance into North America.

Among the three, the corporation that plays the most pivotal role is YG Japan. Based on total assets as of the third quarter of last year, △YG Japan 30.2 billion △YG USA 6.3 billion △YG Asia 2.4 billion won. In terms of sales, △YG Japan 4.7 billion won △YG USA 1 billion won △YG Asia 100 million won. In terms of profitability, all three companies are in the red.

◇ 'Baby Monster' debut this year... Accelerating global expansion

The market sees this change in inside directors as a sign of YG Entertainment's acceleration of advancement into Japan. Of YG Entertainment's total sales last year, sales from Japan only accounted for 4%. It is lower than competitors Hive (20%), SM Entertainment (10%), and JYP Entertainment (10%).

In fact, YG Entertainment is also showing signs of advancing into Japan. Boy group Treasure under YG Entertainment held a Japanese concert tour for the first time since their debut from November last year to January this year. It is said that they toured 8 cities including Tokyo and mobilized close to 300,000 spectators. Treasure is a 10-member group consisting of 8 Koreans and 2 Japanese.

In addition, the new artist 'Baby Monster' is also scheduled to debut in the first half of this year. Baby Monster is YG Entertainment's first girl group in 7 years. It consisted of 3 Koreans, 2 Japanese, and 2 Thais. As a multinational group, it is expected to actively explore the global market. It seems that YG Japan's role will grow even more as its artists advance overseas.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

• Uni909

Changed the title of the thread from “Will YG make their real japanese group in the near future?” to “Will YG make their real japanese girl group in the near future?”.
  • I mean Treasure was basically supposed to be that but YG just sucks.

TREASURE is.

They sold out Domes and added dates to their Japan tour. The 2nd day of their Kyocera Dome concert was broadcast in over 60 sold out movie theaters across Japan.

In terms of Kpop group success in Japan, TREASURE is top 5 currently.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!