[BTS CONTENT] Clive Davis, the man who discovered Whitney Houston, calls BTS an "INCREDIBLE HITS MACHINE"

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

@4:00 mark

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Personally, I don’t like what he said. It is a bit dehumanizing to refer to BTS as ‘machines’; he could have simply said artists that have produced several incredible, global hits etc.

Especially after reading the LA time bit about the Gscrammy “throwing BTS a bone” in order to win the best collab with Coldplay. Ugh.

I’m glad Bang PD was acknowledged and spoke Korean at this event but I dunno - I don’t have much faith in the US music industry after what all we have witnessed

• I will take it as an acknowledgment of BTS by one of the most revered names in music business. Are they a hit machine? They always produce music at an incredibly high and artistic level and more frequently than any American artists.

• Throwing BTS a bone comment. BTS doesn’t need the Grammys and the Grammys desperately need BTS for ratings. No one gives a shit about these awards unless BTS is present

• Especially after reading the LA time bit about the Gscrammy “throwing BTS a bone” in order to win the best collab with Coldplay. Ugh.

Throwing BTS a bone comment. BTS doesn’t need the Grammys and the Grammys desperately need BTS for ratings. No one gives a shit about these awards unless BTS is present

that is what i was reading & found very fucking weird & necessary to say but :pepe-shrug: it's western media so what could we expect

˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ᵐᵃᵏᶤᶰᵍ ᵐᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵒʸ ʷᶤᵗʰ ˡᵘᵛ˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷

Aesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFsK-POPPIN IN PINKAesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFs

• they're humans not machines so maybe refer to them a little differently

edit: so hit machines is a good thing?? alright then : )

but wow being acknowledged by one of the biggest names in the western music industry is cool

˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ᵐᵃᵏᶤᶰᵍ ᵐᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵒʸ ʷᶤᵗʰ ˡᵘᵛ˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷

Aesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFsK-POPPIN IN PINKAesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFs

Edited once, last by BTS-ae-1320 ().

• Coming from Clive Davis, "hit machine" isn't an insult AT ALL. That's a really common way to refer to an artist who has hit after hit. It's not a comment on their humanity. Sort of like how Detroit was Hitsville, USA and the artists coming out of Motown were hit machines.

(Wait, are people here familiar with Clive Davis? That might be where the misunderstanding is coming from.)

• Clive Davis is a Legend at spotting talent and taking them to their fullest potential. The fact that he said one word in the direction of BTS is the highest of all compliments

• Please don’t quote me or respond when you can’t even respect other people’s posts. Clearly you don’t understand and don’t have any empathy for Asian that grew up in the US and Europe and had to live and deal with dehumanized language and micro aggressions because of being Asian.

TS and LM are NOT Asian so why would it ever matter? They don’t face the racism Asian artists face. Like c’mon. Are we not going to remember how in the West, KPOP is not perceived as a ‘machine factory and its artist are mass produced’ and all that crap. My point was that Clive’ phrase aligned with this POV and didn’t highlight the genuine artists/musicians that BTS are etc.

Metaphors and language has different connotations, right and the amount of people clearly not understanding what PoC and Asians experience re dehumanizing language is telling…..

Also, the that you are downplaying and trying to make a hot take on my personal thoughts on this totally fits too. We can’t even raise the issue without being seen as over reacting. I didn’t keep silent when the US industry calls ARMY bots either.

But go ahead and you do you and I will continue to say that I didn’t like the way Clive worded his statement.

Edited once, last by Yinye ().

• My point was that Clive’ phrase aligned with this POV and didn’t highlight Metaphors and language has different connotations, right and the amount of people clearly not understanding what PoC and Asians experience re dehumanizing language is telling…..

I'm Black as Black can be so I'm included in the PoC you just mentioned above and will share my opinion. I disagree with you. You're free to have your own opinion. In this context, MY opinion is that this language was not dehumanizing since it's applied equally to various races and ethnicities and is only a description of hit potential. It's fine if you disagree but I wanna make it clear that my opinion is coming from another PoC person.

• I'm Black as Black can be so I'm included in the PoC you just mentioned above and will share my opinion. I disagree with you. You're free to have your own opinion. In this context, MY opinion is that this language was not dehumanizing since it's applied equally to various races and ethnicities and is only a description of hit potential. It's fine if you disagree but I wanna make it clear that my opinion is coming from another PoC person.

You have your thoughts and I respect it and I am not here to change anyone’s mind. I am just saying from my Asian POV that experienced and have seen dehumanizing statements aimed at Asian artists for decades, I don’t like the statement.

• Throwing BTS a bone comment. BTS doesn’t need the Grammys and the Grammys desperately need BTS for ratings. No one gives a shit about these awards unless BTS is present

Exactly. I believe the Grammys were trying to get any of the BTS members to show up this year to boost their ratings. BTS certainly does not need them. :ooo-bee:

• You have your thoughts and I respect it and I am not here to change anyone’s mind. I am just saying from my Asian POV that experienced and have seen dehumanizing statements aimed at Asian artists for decades, I don’t like the statement.

I respect that. I thought about this a bit and I may have been too dismissive of your concerns, particularly since social climate matters a lot with how different descriptors are perceived. Also, I don't have the experience of being Asian so I don't know how that hits for you.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!