Wait... what is the meaning of the Ditto MV?!? O_O

• First time(s) I watched and listened to the Newjeans Ditto MV, I didn't pay much attention to the MV, I was just chillin on the song :dancer:

But then, when I paid close attention and watched the end, I see that all the scenes the girl with the camcorder was recording were actually empty, no sight at all of the other girls?!

What... how... :whatk:

Were the other 5 girls just her 'imaginary friends' from the start?

Or were they all in an accident, and she was the only one that survived, with just her arm in braces? (which would be sad, but a great storyline, a la The Ark's The Light :sadr: )

And then there's 1 other scene where the 5 girls are in a classroom, not camcorder girl where a picture of her on the schoolboard gets erased... is this a diverging timelines/parallel universes thing, where in timeline/universe A the camcorder girl was the sole survivor and in timeline/universe B the other 5 girls were the only survivors?

And wait, together with camcorder girl there's 6 girls. But Newjeans is a group of 5. Is the camcorder girl a ghost, or a stand-in symbol for something else, like for the audience or for the fanbase and is it all meant metaphorically??

Someone help please, what did it mean? It's confusing :nervousk::whatb:

• the girl with the camera actually has a yt channel

https://m.youtube.com/@banheesoo/videos

all your theories are basically what fans argued about the week this mv launched

Whoa... an entire fake yt channel was created for this? Is this a found footage kinda thing?

But what has been the final conclusion? What's the answer? Or is this something that's still developing?

• Whoa... an entire fake yt channel was created for this? Is this a found footage kinda thing?

But what has been the final conclusion? What's the answer? Or is this something that's still developing?

i think the imaginary friends theory won out in the end. personally, i thought it was the ghost thing because it just seemed cooler lol

• Here is an interesting analysis of ditto mv if you're interested?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Here is an interesting analysis of ditto mv if you're interested?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thank you! That was very informative. I didn't know there was a 2nd Ditto MV that was a follow up.

I think that guy's analysis made the most sense. There were some things that I was still puzzled by that didn't seem to fit his explanation: like it seems that the boy was seeing the camcorder girl as well as the NJ girls sitting at the schoolyard bench - you don't see an empty scene setting where the camcorder girl sits looking at an empty bench. Plus in several other shots you see the NJ members interact with the camcorder girl.

But her cast wasn't written on as in the dream shots, it was just white.

And when the guy started to mention that the camcorder girl was probably actually a fan, I thought 'ah yes, that's how this could be explained': the NJ members aren't just imaginary friends, they're her idol 'friends', being a significant part of her school life and showing how they're her friends but also not actually her friends: symbolising the relationship between fan and idol.

I couldn't place the last shot of the 2nd MV where she can actually see the NJ girls in the recordings she took with her camcorder. Shouldn't it have shown the empty scene shots, where the NJ girls weren't on? But if it's a symbol for her enjoying the NJ content from her youth, then that makes sorta sense too.

• I couldn't place the last shot of the 2nd MV where she can actually see the NJ girls in the recordings she took with her camcorder. Shouldn't it have shown the empty scene shots, where the NJ girls weren't on? But if it's a symbol for her enjoying the NJ content from her youth, then that makes sorta sense too.

It's like that Dumbledore quote I love

โ€œOf course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?โ€

• Whoa... an entire fake yt channel was created for this? Is this a found footage kinda thing?

Yeah, this was essentially the promo linking Ditto to OMG, you just had to be there, "Heesoo" would post everyday at a random time and make random comments like "Hyein is acting like a princess" etc

And then of course Hyein would portray a princess in the OMG MV

• yup. ditto is about the relationship between young fans (ban hesoo or bunnies) and the stars that can also turn into a parasocial one.

the stars help the fans get through their life and makes them feel less lonely. it's like this whole 'kpop saved my life' sort of story but if the young fans fall too deep into it then it becomes unhealthy and they can lose touch with reality.

the boy represents that, reality and REAL social relationships (or the possibility of it), not the ones lived through cameras. because even tho they bring joy and a sense of friendship, they still aren't REAL. These girls don't even know she exists or what her name is.

So ditto is displaying this fan/celerbity dynamic and all the emotional support young people can get from kpop but is also being critical of kpop in a sense. Ditto is kinda warning young fans to not lose sense of reality and real social relationships. Very deep stuff duh.

that's my take on ditto :wellr:

Ps: and maybe the things that didn't make sense to you is because there is a sense of surrealism in this mv. sometimes there is a difficulty to discern reality from imagination or dreams. which could make sense because ban hesoo herself must be confused about it (which isn't healhty by the way).

• there is an A side and B side

(same song though)

Yeah, I realized that now, I'm up to speed, have watched them both :-)

Yeah, this was essentially the promo linking Ditto to OMG, you just had to be there, "Heesoo" would post everyday at a random time and make random comments like "Hyein is acting like a princess" etc

And then of course Hyein would portray a princess in the OMG MV

Aha. That I didn't know. I wasn't aware it was meant to be a bridge between Ditto and OMG. Nicely creative!

Participate now!

Donโ€™t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!