4 Hot Takes Interviews 🔥

• The debut of minors in the Kpop business is a hot topic of discussion. Some fight against it, while others encourage it. This month, I interviewed various people to discuss this topic with us! We've seen many examples of young people making their debut in Kpop, and some of them (or should I say most of them) didn't fare so well, with people sexualizing them or just hating on them! Some students were unable to attend school because of idol work. Should 14-year-olds be working or attending school? Hmmmm, I'll let our interviewees respond to that!

Let's start with our interviews! :check-bee:

TOPIC: Minors debuting in Kpop

QUESTION #1

What do you think the minimum age of debuting idols should be?

16, at the minimum.

ultraaviolet

Overall I don't think there should be a limit on the debut age of an idol. If I had to pick one it would be 13.

prodigy210

I believe that the minimum age for an idol to debut should be 17-18.

itsymoo

QUESTION #2

If minors make their debut, do you think it's okay to have full-grown adults in their groups as well? (Example; 15 year old with 26 year old)

I think its fine to have adults in the same group as minors and tbh its very common in the industry. What I wouldn't be fine with is a group doing mature concepts when they have minors.

ultraaviolet

Yes i think its fine to have adults debut with minors. Even if you debut a group full of minors eventually one of the members will be an adult and the rest minors. Also it can be beneficial for a group to have adults in the group for leadership and guidance.

prodigy210

Hmm This a really good question, I feel yes it is ok. My reason to this is that, this grown adult is most likely going to be the most mature out of the group and will most likely now how to handle the youngest if a certain situation happen.

itsymoo

QUESTION #3

What additional steps should companies take to ensure the safety of their younger idols?

1. ensuring clothing/dance/concept is appropriate

2. allow underage idols to go to school consistently

3. regulate the amounts of hours they work/train for

ultraaviolet

1. Ban minors form entering into groups with explicit sexy concepts like Girl Crush. I understand it can be difficult to ban minors completely from sexy concept since there can be a debate to what is and is not sexy. For example people debate about le sserafim whether that was ok or not. But explicit activities such as Girl Crush shouldnt be up for debate and out right banned for minors.

2. In a thread we were discussing this topic a law such as the jackie coogan law was brought up. I think that would be a good regulation to add for companies to set aside a certain percentage of income into a trust account until the idol is of legal age.

3. Set a limit to the amount of debt a company can force an idol to pay off. I understand that it would be impossible for small companies to completely eliminate trainee debt but their should be a limit and what the idol is paying off should be transparent.

prodigy210

They should make sure that their youngest idol privacy is respect mostly at school from both the students that attend the school and from outsiders. Another thing is to make sure their younger idols aren't both Sexualised or aren't being shower with toxic hatred comments. I also believe that the companies should also focus on their younger Idols mental health (Like they should with any of their artist tbh) and give them breaks. (I'm not really sure if this makes sense lol)

itsymoo

QUESTION #4

Do you think that debuting minors should be illegal?

I would like it to be, but realistically it won't happen.

ultraaviolet

No

prodigy210

Until a Certain age yes I feel like that will be the only way for kpop companies to stop debuting really young idols.

itsymoo

QUESTION #5

Do you think it's appropriate for minors to perform for adults? (With concepts like "girl crush")

I don't think it's appropriate for minors to perform for ANYONE with inappropriate concepts. I don't think the girl crush concept in general, is that bad. But a sexualized concept would be a big no.

ultraaviolet

Depends on what you mean by perform for adults. If your talking about room salons, adult clubs, or 19+ festivals such as water bomb than no. If your just talking about regular festivals or concerts than yes.

prodigy210

This may seem like an easy one word answer question but it really is not because behind there are also other questions that can be asked such as "what if they are ok with it?" or "what if their parents allow it and see no problem with it?". In my opinion, I truly believe that It is not appropriate for Minors to be Joining this types of groups, by allowing this teens to join this groups it will allowed for this wave of oversexualisation of minors to become more big, we are already suffering with this types of things imagine if groups like this were more normalized?

itsymoo

Do you agree, disagree? Please share your thoughts and feel free to respond to the questions yourself. Also, keep an eye out because YOU might be the next user to be interviewed. We'll see you next month. :ooo-bee:

• I agree that 16 should be the minimum. idk about Korea, but in most states in the US that's the minimum age to take the GED test so they could at least ensure they have their high school diploma. That's also generally the legal age for most minors to start working here outside of certain fields.

• I've worked with child actors on commercials and been in casting sessions. There are some kids who are completely and wholly focused on this as a career, pursuing it with the same passion other kids pursue sports or ballet, so I'm not against teens debuting in the music industry. However, I wish there were some stricter standards around mandatory education requirements (because let's face it, not everyone is going to make it here) and a clearer filter about what is and isn't appropriate for teens. I don't care if someone is twerking at their homecoming dance or in the yard with their friends, but they don't need to it for an audience of grown people. (A lot of people argue that "real teens" wear this or dance that way but there is a HUGE difference here.) A 15 year old has no business humping the ground in booty shorts in a kpop group for public display. It's not that difficult to make those tweaks if you want to include teenagers in your group.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Oh, an interesting range of thoughts this time! I probably land closest to @ultraaviolet on this topic.

The comments also made me think... do you think it puts pressure on the adult members of the group to basically babysit or be held responsible for the (in this case, literal) children? Like we all know that individually, idols don't actually have that much power to control their styles, dances, etc. especially at debut. But if something goes wrong, IDK, I could see people being especially critical of the leader of the group for not having the power to stop it.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• I would say 16 international age should be the lowest to debut, especially since they are trapped in multi-year, expensive contracts. If the companies want to debut younger (with the consent of the parents), I think there should be protections in place to watch over the minor and that the minor should go through a psychological screening to make sure they are mature and stable enough to handle the pressures and scrutiny of idol life. I also think there should be a no fault out clause for underage idols that find that they can't handle it. There shouldn't be financial repercussions for minors to leave a toxic industry.

• 16 ideally, but also, if we have to debut minors at all, there should be good laws and regulations in place to protect them. I'm not sure what's there is enough...

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!