Sunmi

• I. Introduction

Sunmi is a K-pop solo artist under MakeUs Entertainment. She debuted as a solo artist on February 26th, 2013.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

II. Previous Career

Sunmi debuted in Wonder Girls under JYP Entertainment with the single "Irony", on February 10th, 2007. They rose to stardom with their hits "Tell Me" (that started the hook trend), "So Hot" and "Nobody" within two years of debuting!

Then in January 2010, JYP announced that Sunmi would be leaving the group up until August 2013, Sunmi announced to be returning to her music career. Debuting as a solo artist with her debut single "24 Hours" on August 26th, 2013. "24 Hours" achieved an all-kill on the music charts and Sunmi would then release "Full Moon" which was released on February 17th, 2014.

"Full Moon" was critically acclaimed by peers, praised for being innovative and sexy.

Sunmi would also later re-join Wonder Girls, after withdrawing in 2010, for their comeback after the group's two-year hiatus. Wonder Girls established themselves by returning with a band concept, with Sunmi playing the bass. In August, the group's album Reboot was released, with Sunmi co-writing and co-producing three of its tracks. In 2016, Sunmi once again received songwriting and producing credits for Wonder Girls release, this time for two songs present on the band's single album Why So Lonely.

And on January 26th, 2017, it was announced that Wonder Girls were to disband and Sunmi will part with JYP. The group released their final single "Draw Me" on February 10th, 2017, which served as a celebration for their 10th anniversary.

III. New Start

In March, Sunmi signed with Makeus Entertainment. In August, she released her newest single under the company "Gashina", produced by Teddy Park of The Black Label. She has since kept on making a name for herself in Korea and showing her pen talent both lyrically and musically.

IV. Discography

First Digital Single: “24 Hours”

Release Date: February 26th, 2013

First Mini-Album: “Full Moon”

Release Date: February 17th, 2014

First Single Album: “SUNMI SPECIAL EDITION ‘GASHINA'”

Release Date: August 22nd, 2017

Second Digital Single: Heroine

Release Date: January 18th, 2018

Second Mini-Album: “WARNING”

Release Date: September 12th, 2018

Third Digital Single:Noir

Release Date: March 4th, 2019

Fourth Digital Single:LALALAY

Release: August 27th, 2019

First Special Single Album: “XX (Original Television Soundtrack) Pt. 1)

Release Date: February 6th, 2020

Fifth Digital Single: pporappippam

Release Date: June 29th, 2020

First Digital Single Album: “TAIL”

Release Date: February 23rd, 2021

V. Music Videos

VI. Collaborations

VII. Videography

VIII. Social Media

IX. Trivia

• She won the award for Best Solo Dance Performance at the 16th Mnet Asian Music Awards for her music video for "Full Moon.
    • She used to be a track athlete.
    • She is a homebody.
    • She is really interested in astrophysics, and things like the universe, light, space, and the concept of time.
    • Her MBTI personality type is INFP.
    • She almost debuted under the stage name Berry.
    • She is close friends with Chung Ha.
    • Sunmi was in middle school when she started being a JYP trainee and her younger brothers were each 12 and 10 years old.
    • On an episode of tvN's 'Talk Mon', Sunmi shared the reason why she wanted to become a celebrity.
    Quote from Sunmi

"I wasn't going to share this story but to be honest, the reason I decided to become a celebrity is my dad. When I was in the 5th grade, I lived with my two younger brothers and my dad. But my dad was sick and he kept getting worse. He lived at home with an oxygen breathing apparatus but he was transferred to the hospital because his condition worsened. So our family faced financial difficulties. I became the head of the house, my dad was immobile, so I worried about what I should do. My teachers wanted me to become a teacher but to be a teacher, I had to study for at least 10 more years and how was I supposed to make money in that situation?

She continued, "So I thought I need to become a celebrity. At the time, the young me believed that was the fastest way to make money. And that was also when BoA sunbaenim was actively promoting so I thought I need to become like her. So I got on the bus and went back and forth for auditions. Then at age 14, I passed JYP auditions and became a trainee. But then there was no one who could take care of my dad so my young brothers took care of him and I was a trainee in Seoul."

• Sunmi has a lot of regrets.
    • Her nicknames are “Mimi” and “Miya”.
    • She can speak English.
    • She can play the bass.
    • Her favourite colour is purple.
    • Her favourite artist is Drake.
    • Her favourite actor is Robert Downey Jr.
    • Sunmi’s legs are 110 cm. (Weekly Idol)
    • Sunmi’s ideal type: Someone who is really good at something.