Posts by magicwand18

Artists who rely solely on the GP are the same ones that fizzle out in a couple of years because they aren't able to create a following that would have helped them to last. Fanbases are necessary to keep artists relevant because the GP's attention to them will always be fleeting and inconsistent. That's why so many artists envy people like Taylor Swift and BTS because they have the best of both worlds and their careers have lasted this long BECAUSE of their fanbase, not in spite of it. So those who spew non-sense about GP vs fanbase power are just kidding themselves

There are live performances in music shows and lipsynching in the other shows you mentioned (even from BTS like that Black Swan performance from that one American show last year) so I don't really agree with this distinction and putting more value on lipsynching in certain shows as opposed to others. That sounds like selectivity and nitpicking to me.

So let's just agree to disagree.

I had a friend who had actually saw that black swan live and they in fact did sing it live, the backtrack was just up-ed in volume in the air-ed version. This post-production change to help drown out the audience and their screams happens to a lot of their american performances, most notably with the AMAs and the BBMAs which is why so many ppl back then thought they were lipsyncing but armys set them straight. But overall it is not by any means a stretch to say that most music shows require lipsyncing, which is why other events are a better indicator but if you want to see that as nitpicking then whatever. agree to disagree.

Most music shows are typically excluded in the discussion of lipsyncing in kpop because each show has it's own set of rules regarding how they want artists to perform there, with most requiring multiple takes and lip-syncing so that their job is easier in post-production of the show. So it's excluded for a reason....people know that when their faces attend, they will mostly likely be lipsyncing per the show's rules. Now other events such as Korean/American award shows, concerts, american tv appearances are a better reflection of how groups perform without a set of rules made to follow per production companies.

i see that you are refusing to acknowledge that this thread SPECIFICALLY was about the SM artists and Seventeen mentioned in that article and not about BTS. not a single part of the op alluded to BTS let alone shade them. but of course you won't acknowledge that because it doesn't bode well with the edgy act you tried to pull with your first post here. keep barking the wrong tree i guess.

because "my faves" don't lipsynch all the time. this is not a case of a singer who is singing live all the time and a singer who is lipsynching all the time. BOTH artists lipsynch and some find one better than the other and bash the other for their shortcomings, you can't use the fact their faves lipsynch to silence them because yours lipsynch too and their sing live just like yours as well. when you put it this way you make it seem like SM artists lipsynch all the time lol, and that's exactly the point op is addressing.

also there is no protocol in SM regarding lipsynching, where did you get that from even? for the 3rd time in this thread please stop painting every SM artist with the same brush, they are not a monolith. besides, the lipsynching "protocol" you are talking about is created by TV shows and music shows not by SM. if you did actually check SM artists out you'd realise that they don't lipsynch any more than most kpop groups, maybe even less depending on the artist but of course it is easier to jump on the bandwagon and parrot popular narratives.

not sure who your faves are but I never suggested they lipsync all the time. In one of my earlier comments in this thread, I even say that I can understand lipsyncing occasionally but don't enjoy it if artists lipsync for >50% of their performances so idk if your faves fall into that category or not. And again, I didn't paint SM artists with a single brush. I even said that they seemed to be stereotyped despite groups from other companies lipsyncing as well. As for the SM protocol, I have heard they require their artists to lipsync at award shows and such similar to the rules placed on artists who perform at music shows like mcountdown. I could be wrong but even an SM stan told me this. But on to the bigger question, who are you referring to when you say "my faves lipsync as well"?? I only stan BTS and you would be hard-pressed to find a time where they lipsync outside if music shows that have the protocol.

Not quite understanding your first point. Bashing live vocals of a group when your own doesn't sing live sounds exactly like hypocrisy. The debate isn't about the ability of an idol to sing (they all can), but whether they choose to sing live with or without choreo. And for ppl to come for groups that actually put in that extra work to sing live while they scream kings! queens! for their faves that are just moving their lips to match the words......yah you wouldn't be hard pressed to call those stans hypocrites. Also your right about SM. It's not solely them because plenty of other groups from other companies lip-sync as well. I think SM just gets most of the heat because a ton of their groups lip-sync as per the company's protocol. It's a pity but thats kpop for you.

i can understand lip-syncing occasionally or under circumstances that require it, but if >50% of your performances are lip-synced, that's when you lose me. If you trained for years and years in kpop because your dream was to become a singer/performer then ACTUALLY sing. And if your company is the reason you can't or aren't allowed to, then they are automatically trash :boredr:

I agree. You could be great at dancing but if you don't command a stage and draw in an audience's attention and are just proceeding through the moves without performing them, then you don't have stage presence. To me, stage presence is more innate rather than learned. For example, no matter how many performances Dua or Taylor give throughout their careers, their performance style always seems to be lacking in charisma as compared to others in the industry (though to be fair Taylor had improved a ton over the years). Stage presence is what keeps a viewer watching.....if you don't have that then no matter how good your singing or dancing is, the performance falls flat.

I actually think the standard is already average and not too high. I mean they picked one of BTS's achievements in 2018 to be the rule, but it's 2021 now and BTS have been achieving so much more than that.

Though it's good to know these companies admit it's 'impossible' to even get on 2018 BTS's level :teeheek: .

Agreed. And other exemption criteria are on par with the cultural merit seeing how they are all national-level accomplishments (olympic medals, world cup entry, 1st place awards in national competitions,etc). So idk why these companies are pitching for anything else.

Everyone has illegal streams, i don't understand what you're trying to prove

Mots: one stream that I watched on twitch had 120k viewers alone, god knows how many others were there. It's about profit. Groups organize concerts to make money, who cares about those who watched it illegally, they are irrelevant

I agree that counting illegal streams are irrelevant. With BTS for example, they had multiple streams with 100k each along with armys sharing their paid stream with up to 2 devices. So if every individual viewer was actually counted (paid and illegal), the total viewers would be well above the recorded 990k but it's a fruitless attempt to try and figure the real number out honestly. Best to stick to what's given