Japanese 7.3 magnitude earthquake causes nuclear fuel spill in Fukushima power plant

• It's like 10 years without a month since tragic tsunami,

and this happens

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/ne…uake-sparks-leak-23496187

first news was that earthquake had 7.1 magnitude but it was now upped to 7.3

luckily for now it looks like there isn't any potential radiation danger, and this time there won't be any tsunami

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Not really. I mean yes is strong but “normal” strong.

I’m from Chile and 7.3 is not something to be terrified for

A 7.3 magnitude is the same anywhere else in the world. Magnitude 7 is already considered a major earthquake and damage is estimated to be on the serious level. The estimates of an earthquake of that strength is only around 20 per annually. Some of the most catastrophic earthquakes recorded are within that range.

I live in the Philippines and we too are smack dab in the Ring of Fire and are not strangers to strong earthquakes. Maybe not as frequent or as strong as what other countries experience but we do have our fair share. It's like this: we are also annually visited by Signal no. 4 typhoons (Category 5 hurricane). It's a regular occurrence, sure, but it is still a catastrophic event and the frequency does not diminish its strength.

I do not know the structural and logistical readiness in your country - and that's good that you are prepared enough not to be alarmed. I checked how many times a 7 magnitude earthquake have hit Chile for the past 40 years, and it's around 17 times with some considerable years in between.

• A 7.3 magnitude is the same anywhere else in the world. Magnitude 7 is already considered a major earthquake and damage is estimated to be on the serious level. The estimates of an earthquake of that strength is only around 20 per annually. Some of the most catastrophic earthquakes recorded are within that range.

I live in the Philippines and we too are smack dab in the Ring of Fire and are not strangers to strong earthquakes. Maybe not as frequent or as strong as what other countries experience but we do have our fair share. It's like this: we are also annually visited by Signal no. 4 typhoons (Category 5 hurricane). It's a regular occurrence, sure, but it is still a catastrophic event and the frequency does not diminish its strength.

I do not know the structural and logistical readiness in your country - and that's good that you are prepared enough not to be alarmed. I checked how many times a 7 magnitude earthquake have hit Chile for the past 40 years, and it's around 17 times with some considerable years in between.

A magnitude 7 earthquake can destroy a country that’s not used to them but will never really damage countries like Japan or Chile.. or even yours

Everything here is built “earthquake” friendly so unless is a >7.5 magnitude one, we don’t really worry too much

We don’t even get up with a magnitude 6..

i guess every country has it’s different parameters for natural disasters

• A magnitude 7 earthquake can destroy a country that’s not used to them but will never really damage countries like Japan or Chile.. or even yours

Everything here is built “earthquake” friendly so unless is a >7.5 magnitude one, we don’t really worry too much

We don’t even get up with a magnitude 6..

i guess every country has it’s different parameters for natural disasters

That's why there are measuring devices and standardized international alerts and classifications so regardless of region, communication is uniform. If a seismologist from California say a magnitude of 9 earthquake, scientists and aid workers all over the world know what that means or the scope of probable damage and life loss.

What is different from one country to another is governmental response.

• Damn some of you seem like earthquake experts...

7.3 magnitude earthquake in Europe could be devastating because there are many old buildings here and new ones also ain't build in a way to "move" properly when earth is shaking.

But in this case there is also another thing, it was 7.3 but it was 60-70 km from coast, if 7.3 magnitude epicentre would be in Fukushima or Tokyo itself then damage will be much bigger.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• That's why there are measuring devices and standardized international alerts and classifications so regardless of region, communication is uniform. If a seismologist from California say a magnitude of 9 earthquake, scientists and aid workers all over the world know what that means or the scope of probable damage and life loss.

What is different from one country to another is governmental response.

Not just that, but how used to them regular people are and how are cities built to resist the earthquakes. A magnitude 6.4 destroyed some parts in Croacia not so long ago, there were deaths too. A 6.4 does nothing in my country, i don’t even get up from my bed because i’m used to them, i can even tell how strong it was just by feeling it.

7.3 magnitude earthquake in Europe could be devastating because there are many old buildings here and new ones also ain't build in a way to "move" properly when earth is shaking.

But in this case there is also another thing, it was 7.3 but it was 60-70 km from coast, if 7.3 magnitude epicentre would be in Fukushima or Tokyo itself then damage will be much bigger.

i live in probably one of the top3 fave earthquakes countries so yeah, I’m very used to them

• Not just that, but how used to them regular people are and how are cities built to resist the earthquakes. A magnitude 6.4 destroyed some parts in Croacia not so long ago, there were deaths too. A 6.4 does nothing in my country, i don’t even get up from my bed because i’m used to them, i can even tell how strong it was just by feeling it.

Exactly my point. Governmental response. If earthquake building codes are not put in place, there will be wide spread damage. Same with post-disaster coordination because they still need to have a plan to asses the damage, assist victims, and rebuild after. And this goes not only for earthquake but any disaster that is imaginable. A 6.4 does nothing in your country because your government has probably planned for a magnitude 9 earthquake. And natural disasters while at times unpredictable, leaves a lot of historical data to pull from so they can plan for the worst.

It goes with living in a country that is often visited by earthquakes. Put me in a place that have extreme winter and I wouldn't know the first thing to do and would probably be a popsicle in no time.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!