JYP's country-trot "Corny Love Song" performed by YOYOMI music video released!

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The experimental song penned by JYP that fuses American country music and Korean trot, "Corny Love Song" was released today, performed by YOYOMI.

YOYOMI is an up-and-coming trot singer who debuted in 2018, and has won multiple rookie and popularity awards in trot circles. She is dubbed trot's "Singing Fairy" and "IU of the Highways" because of her cuteness and popularity on the playlists of long-distance truck drivers and cargo shippers. She's also well-known for performing trot-influenced cover versions of both K-pop and American pop songs on her Youtube channels.

Late last year, JYP began his HardDrive Release project, in which he started to release songs he had written, but didn't have an artist in mind to perform. "Corny Love Song" is the first of the HardDrive Release projects, and was briefly demo'ed to Rain. Rain suggested that JYP hold public auditions to find a suitable singer, which JYP eventually took. He released a public call on Youtube for people of all backgrounds to send in recordings of them covering the chorus of the song. This resulted in an outpouring of audition videos ranging from established singers, indie artists, entertainers from other fields, Youtubers, and singer-aspirants. JYP then held in-person auditions alongside Kim Tae Woo of g.o.d. to find the final singer of the song, on the online show GoStar BuStar episode 16 (part 1 and part 2, eng-subbed.) This resulted in YOYOMI being chosen as the winner.

At the start of this year, there was a series of videos released online at J.Y. Park's official Youtube channel which showed the process of YOYOMI preparing for the song, including discussing musical influences, visiting JYP headquarters, and getting advice from Nayeon of TWICE: episodes 1, 2, 3 & 4 (all with english subtitles).

And now, here's YOYOMI performing Corny Love Song live on SBS Cultwo Radio:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This song is so terrible...just so terrible. The song is just a total bad miss from JYP.

What level of success did he think this was going to have? The whole promotion has been strange for it too....like he had Nayeon as part of the promo video for it, probably hoping some Once would be interested and check it out, but released the MV 5 minutes after Chaeyoung and Dahyun released Switch To Me cover....so it's like why even try to hype it up with Nayeon when you gave Once something else to watch/stream at the same damn time lol...

Do the separate divisions in that company even know what each other are doing on a day to day basis?

• This song is so terrible...just so terrible. The song is just a total bad miss from JYP.

What level of success did he think this was going to have? The whole promotion has been strange for it too....like he had Nayeon as part of the promo video for it, probably hoping some Once would be interested and check it out, but released the MV 5 minutes after Chaeyoung and Dahyun released Switch To Me cover....so it's like why even try to hype it up with Nayeon when you gave Once something else to watch/stream at the same damn time lol...

Do the separate divisions in that company even know what each other are doing on a day to day basis?

JYP and TWICE belong to the same division... but are you criticising the song, or the promotional efforts? It seems to be more about the promos than the actual song itself.

Also, I don't think JYP ever really counted on ONCEs to stream this song. It's in a completely different genre than they're used to with Kpop. We are not the target audience. The target audience is the families who will gather on Lunar New Year (in two days' time) to sing trot songs together. Perfectly-timed release, in my opinion.

• JYP and TWICE belong to the same division... but are you criticising the song, or the promotional efforts? It seems to be more about the promos than the actual song itself.

Also, I don't think JYP ever really counted on ONCEs to stream this song. It's in a completely different genre than they're used to with Kpop. We are not the target audience. The target audience is the families who will gather on Lunar New Year (in two days' time) to sing trot songs together. Perfectly-timed release, in my opinion.

Yes that's right actually...now that I remember some time last year(?) Jinyoung mved to Div 3 as his music career picked up more, was he previously in the same as Itzy and Got7 or am I wrong on that...?

Which in that case it makes it even more strange considering the fact that he had Nayeon in the videos and clearly that is only for 1 reason, to bring this to her fandom or get some attention from Once since it features for most of the video. So regardless of weather or not you think they want interactions from Once it was in some small way marketed to us.

Which makes it really odd to drop a melody project at the same time, we were obviously not going to check it out.

But also, my critique is about the song too. It's supposed to be an attempt to marry country and trot but it hasn't really worked for me, the song just sounds bad, it sounds like it was made by a person who isn't particularly experience in producer either country or trot music.

It's just really boring to me.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!