What do you do, if you want to research something?

• I wasn't sure what to title this thread, but sometimes when I want to write a short story about something, I sometimes read books about it and also look up stuff online about it.

Like when I just for fun decided to write a story taking place in certain country, I remember that I read a non-fiction book about that country (even though it pretty much was a tourist book). I remember also once reading a short story collection by authors from that country. (I admit that I have almost forgotten what most of the short stories were even about...)

I also looked up stuff online about it. But tried to also make sure that the information I got online was true. I was watching documentaries about that country too (especially on a website where I often watch documentaries).

And I listened to music from that country, especially Eurovision songs. (because it was a European country)

BTW I still haven't written that story. I kinda had an idea what it should be about and wrote a bit, but I found my own story kinda "meh".

I did find it kinda fun learning about that country.

And when I made a school project (or is it called "assignment"?) in college once, I was writing about a novel and also about a historical event that the book takes place in.

So, I rented a lot of books about that historical event.

But that project got bad grades though... (I still don't know why. Maybe it was too short, and I was maybe being too lazy or something.)

• if i wanna research something i just google it.

i don't really read books anymore and the only books i'm interested in are the fantasy vampire like books such as the house of night series

or books like walter farley's the black stallion 'cause i'm a horse lover.

if i need to do any other kind of research i just google several sources.

• It sounds like you're taking a very thorough approach to researching and immersing yourself in the topics you want to write about, which is great! One suggestion I have is to maybe try narrowing down your focus a bit more when it comes to your short story ideas. With so much information and inspiration from various sources, it can sometimes feel overwhelming to condense everything into a cohesive narrative.

Instead of trying to incorporate everything you've learned into one story, perhaps pick one aspect or theme that resonates with you the most and build your story around that. This could help give your writing more direction and clarity. Additionally, don't be too hard on yourself if your initial ideas don't pan out the way you hoped. Writing is a process, and it's okay to experiment and revise until you find the right story for you.

Lastly, if you're struggling with getting bad grades on assignments, consider reaching out to your professors or seeking feedback from peers to help improve your work. This helped me A LOT!!! Keep writing and exploring, and I'm sure you'll find success.

PS* for school assignments I would recommend using Google Scholar instead of just google.

• Lastly, if you're struggling with getting bad grades on assignments, consider reaching out to your professors or seeking feedback from peers to help improve your work. This helped me A LOT!!! Keep writing and exploring, and I'm sure you'll find success.

Well... I don't go to college or anything like that anymore.

But well... I remember that I never asked for help. I guess I was being too shy or something.

• But that project got bad grades though... (I still don't know why. Maybe it was too short, and I was maybe being too lazy or something.)

Bad grades are because of three(four actually) possibilities

1 The story is not according to taster of person who is submitting the project.

2 Some grudge or misunderstanding or preconceived notion they formed for you.

3 The language used is similar or maybe even the story is similar enough that they could tell what was your reference material was.

Well in recent times few places check project work through AI for authenticity, that thing is hard as well, it check for similar words constitution or similar story as copy of your reference material (happened something similar with me).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!