Hi Mom's Jia Ling Directs the Most Successful Film Ever by a Woman!

• https://mobile.twitter.com/Tre…tatus/1373266859076771850

"Trending Weibo

@TrendingWeibo

#Trending! #JiaLing's #HiMom has now surpassed 5.3 billion RMB in box office earnings, overtaking #PattyJenkins' #WonderWoman
    HBOMax_Mar_2021_Wonderwoman.png
    to officially become the world's top-grossing film directed by a solo female! "

What's more amazing is it amassed over $800M as an original movie and script that is semi-autobiographical as an ode to Jia's mom who died when she was 19.

Patty Jenkins had the advantage of a franchise like Wonder Woman that had already had a very large fan base.

More than Detective Chinatown which is a franchise, "Hi Mom!" really shows how special the Chinese market place is! Where else can a small family comedy directed by a woman get a box office that is usually attained by Hollywood special effect blockbusters like Avengers, Star Wars or Avatar? This is really amazing for anyone interested in entertainment media.

Why do I watch survival shows? This!

• VVisual

Changed the title of the thread from “Hi Mom's Jia Ling Helm's the Most Successful Film Ever by Woman!” to “Hi Mom's Jia Ling Directs the Most Successful Film Ever by a Woman!”.
  • but chinese movies that are focused on family have always done well

• but chinese movies that are focused on family have always done well

I wouldn't say alway since the top of the box office in China over the years are dominated by spectacles like Wolf Warrior, Avengers Endgame, Wandering Earth, Operation Red Sea, Transformers, etc. The current number 1 film in China is the re-release of Avatar. So in that sense, China is similar to the US market.

But yes where else in the world would a small scale family oriented comedy take in Avengers level box office? Pretty much only China.

Why do I watch survival shows? This!

• I wouldn't say alway since the top of the box office in China over the years are dominated by spectacles like Wolf Warrior, Avengers Endgame, Wandering Earth, Operation Red Sea, Transformers, etc. The current number 1 film in China is the re-release of Avatar. So in that sense, China is similar to the US market.

But yes where else in the world would a small scale family oriented comedy take in Avengers level box office? Pretty much only China.

of course but those heart warming chinese movies always do really well in china...

after all its family and what's the most important thing in china - family lol

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!