Korean Belly Dancers

• Belly Dancing is such an underrated art. Love seeing different cultures finding love in it.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• damn

that was one good and sexy performance

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Belly Dancing is such an underrated art. Love seeing different cultures finding love in it.

External Content youtu.be
    review is here

You're right. This is a dance that is really filled with celebration and joy.

Edited once, last by jadyme ().

• Recently I made a "Belly Dancer" character design for my story set in an imaginary desert village.

The belly dancer design itself is inspired by many classic JRPGs and anime characters I love, with clothings and accessories taken and remixed from pinterest search results.

People love the design, but I also see comments complaining that the art is "Orientalist".

As a Chinese artist, this is my first time hearing this term. I do some research and seems like orientalism means stereotyping the eastern culture and perpetrating a false exotic image of the east. And I have to agree, this is not something I want to be part of.

But my question is, are all belly dancer outfits... Orientalist? Is there any way I could make a belly dancer design that is not "Orientalist?"

And also, how much cultural research should I do for my character design in general? And is taking inspiration from different cultures, and remixing them considered "orientalist" as well?

• Belly dancing originated in a particular region with a particular style. Presenting it in a way that takes inspiration from other cultures instead of being totally accurate to the culture it came from would probably just make the sort of snowflakes who use words like "Orientalist" complain even more. I would ignore them either way.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!