Japanese People Ask; Is Japan's "Best Mother Award" Cursed?

• this has been making the rounds around the J-internet

earlier this month it was revealed that the actress Ryoko Hirosue was having an affair with the michelin star chef Shusaku Toba so people were quick to point the irony of how last year she was even awarded with the "Best Mother Award" (ベストマザー賞) by the Japan's Mothers Society to her for becoming "a source of admiration and inspiration to all mothers"

https://www.best-mother.jp/award/

people started noticing how the previous year's winners didn't fare much better

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

2022 winner Ryoko Hirosue: caught having an affair

2021 winner Mariko Shinoda: accused of having an affair

2017 winner Maki Gotō: admited to having an affair with her ex boyfriend while being married

2010 winner Makiko Esumi: admited to having an affair

2009 winner Eriko Imai: caught having an affair

also it seems that the chairman of the Japan's Mothers Society, Shinji Morimatsu, was arrested in 2021 for... beating his wife

Motherhood promoter in Japan arrested amid wife-beating claims
    A man who runs a non-profit organisation promoting motherhood in Japan has been arrested on suspicion of hospitalising his wife by kicking and beating her,…
    www.scmp.com

they also mention how as part of the "curse" the 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2019 winners got divorced but i think that's just reaching, i don't think just because they ended getting a divorce that means they are undeserving of the Best Mother Award, totally different situations from those above

in any case because of the multiple scandals people are now asking the association to abolish the award since 1) who would want it now that it has a negative connotation 2) giving the award to someone can actually hurt their career

so i'm not Japanese, i'm not a mother and i'm not a member of any awards committee

but you would think the moment the chairman of the association was arrested for domestic violence that the award would become worthless, right? i mean who would want a wife beater to tell you that you are good mother?

anyway this person makes a good observation, is not actually a curse as much as if it's because they were given the Best Mother Award and the attention surrounding said award that people got interested and started digging dirt about them

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• like you said, you can be a good mother while having an affair lol.

that said a wifebeater awarding this is sus and "good mother" sounds like a sexist award anyway. How do you judge a good mother? a SAH mom who cooks all her meals organically from scratch? seems inherently problematic.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!