Shoujo Manga + Anime Recommendation Thread

• I wanted a thread where fans can drop their favorite Shoujo manga or anime in the case that some may want recommendations for something new to read. I will be sharing oldies that I don’t see mentioned much now a days but fans should def check them out. I will start with some that I actually own.

Share away-!

Edited 2 times, last by Yinye ().

• A favorite:

Manga:

Basara by Yumi Tamura (1990-1998) 27 volumes in Japan

Genre: fantasy

Plot: Dystopia in a future Jpn society involving twins and a prophecy

There was an anime series adaptation.

Artwork preview:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by Yinye ().

• Another classic favorite:

Tokimeki Tonight by Ikeno Koi

Original series 1984 - 1992 (30 volumes; sold over 30+million for its day)

Genre: fantasy, comedy

There was also an anime adaptation.

Plot: Ranze is part vampire and werewolf student but falls in love with a human boy classmate against her family’s wishes since they are actually spies sent from the Underworld to observe and report re human activities.

Artwork preview:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It’s so popular that 40 years on, there’s gonna be an exhibit this summer in July!

Edited once, last by Yinye ().

• Another one:

Kodomo no Omocha by Miho Obana

It and the anime adaptation was so popular it has a slang name: Kodocha. (1994-1998; 10 volumes; the anime is also very good that I bought the DVD for the entire series)

Genre: comedy, slice of life, drama

Plot: Elementary student and celebrity, Sana, clashes with her classmate Akito but their relationship is complicated!

Manga artwork Bunko edition:

Anime OP #2 - perfectly captures this story chaotic energy and humor:

External Content youtu.be

• Yinye

Changed the title of the thread from “Shoujo Manga + Anime Thread” to “Shoujo Manga + Anime Recommendation Thread”.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!