Posts by PlumIsland

All of the members are so confident and stable, which makes their encores so much fun to watch! You can really enjoy them as fun, informal performances. STAYC has always been talented vocally, but it's really wonderful to see the members grow and become more secure in their abilities. Wishing them the best with this comeback and in the future!

[쇼챔 1위] 2월 넷째 주 챔피언송 <STAYC - Teddy Bear> 앵콜 Full ver. l Show Champion l EP.464
    [쇼챔 1위] 2월 넷째 주 챔피언송 <STAYC - Teddy Bear> 앵콜 Full ver.#STAYC #쇼챔1위 #STAYC #TeddyBear #앵콜송★All about KPOP! Subscribe now★https://bit.ly/3NJTqeGGlobal No.1 KPO...
    www.youtube.com

[4K] 스테이씨 'Teddy Bear' 뮤직뱅크 1위 앵콜 직캠 (STAYC Encore Fancam) @MusicBank 230224
    #SYAYC #스테이씨 #앵콜직캠More from #KBSKPOPTwitter: https://twitter.com/StudioK_twtInstagram: https://www.instagram.com/studiok__official/
    www.youtube.com

[앵콜캠4K] 스테이씨 'Teddy Bear' 인기가요 1위 앵콜 직캠 (STAYC Encore Fancam) | @SBS Inkigayo 230226
    [앵콜캠4K] 스테이씨 'Teddy Bear' 인기가요 1위 앵콜 직캠 (STAYC Encore Fancam) | @SBS Inkigayo 230226#인기가요1위 #앵콜캠 #스테이씨 #TeddyBear--------------------------------------------...
    www.youtube.com

I couldn't find a thread that was related to this although there prob already is one, but I just wanted to write out my thoughts on the meaning of the Ditto and OMG music videos. I think that both are looking at the phenomenon of the relationship between musicians and their fans, particularly in the unique context of K-pop.

For me, Ditto was more about the experience of being a fan and finding a balance between living in the fantasy world provided by being a fan—which can serve as an escape when the real world is too much, and can provide magic and joy—and engaging with your life and the people who are actually around you. Both kinds of connection are real, and Heesoo's memories with NewJeans are still important to her and meaningful when she is an adult, but you can't substitute one for the other.

OMG on the other hand is focused on the perspectives of the NewJeans members as they adjust to their new reality as idols. When you exist in front of so many people, there is necessarily a kind of fracturing of self—or maybe, the creation of new selves. With a focus on Hanni's opening concept of being a "iPhone" (being a kind of receptacle for other people's hopes, dreams, thoughts, etc.), the MV cycles through all of the member's different understandings of what's happening to them. All of these different selves exist in tandem. The two performance videos show both the isolation of being an idol (the scene of them dancing with a holiday party behind them seems to represent their music being played by people in the real world, but they can't engage, only perform) and the fact that they're still real people who would otherwise just be going to school and performing covers with their friends (they don't sing the words in ver 2).

This is so long but what do others think? Did you like the videos/do you see them going together?

They were not the first K-Pop group to chart on the Canadian Hot 100. BTS was.

I hadn't read Hwaa's lyrics because when I first watched the MV they weren't uploaded yet, but I just rewatched with the subtitles on and woah. I already loved the song, but the lyrics, combined with the melody/music and the visual aesthetic, really make it a masterpiece in my opinion. The imagery is so beautiful — the ice melting and the flowers blooming, not as a passive, inevitable change but rather as a representation of power and self-actualization.