MSG Wannabee - another stone thrown by Yoo Jaesuk to KPop

• Yoo Jaesuk is quite powerful in K-entertainment and his peculiar music style does not really help KPop, although fortunately foreigners are ignoring his antics now.

His latest attempt is MSG Wannabe.

Who are part of it?

Ji Sukjin - Yoo Jaesuk's toady at Running Man

Kim Jungmin - a rock-ballader popular in 1996

KCM - a ballader somewhat popular in mid-2000s, although mostly as a staple in show programs

Simon D - an ex-exec in Jay Park's company

Park Jaejung - Winner of Super star K5 but mostly an OST staple after that

Wonstein, a rapper

Lee Donghwi and Lee Sangyi - actors

===

Ji Sukjin tried singing in 1992 but was mostly in entertainment after that. (He released a song "I know" at the same time Seotaiji released the super hit with the same name, which basically made Ji Sukjin give up his singing dreams and enter the showbiz instead)

Kim Jungmin's heyday of 1996 is probably too distant for most Kpop fans

KCM was never that popular outside of show programs

Simon D really did not promote for quite a while too

Park Jaejung is mostly known as an OST singer.

I will spare words on the rest since the actors obviously do not belong there and I don't know too much about Wonstein.

Other than maybe Simon D, none of them are really relevant in the narrative of KPop. Jungkook was not even born when Kim Jungmin had his heyday.

What is that?

Hyori and Rain, I can understand. At least they were super popular. However, these people?

• You have been concerned about IU blocking the advancement of K-pop, but did not see YJS coming :)

If he keeps making special project teams, one an year and they keep dominating the charts, that would be quite some fun.

But you should be happy that he supports Laboum, your mythical 'giant or Senior Singer' killers, maybe he will do a special project with them.

Or maybe IUxYJS, doing an old style lyrical korean ballad, that would be the worst case, right?

• It is too little, too late for Laboum. In another words, a day late and a dollar short.

Lee Jieun went to see Yoo Jaesuk in the latter's show. So who knows. When YJS runs out of materials he and Park Myungsoo will summon the Senior Singer.

• Still it is interesting how a non-Kpop personality like YJS has so much influence on Kpop. Just shows where Kpop stands in the hierarchy of entertainment business in Korea.

If I got it right,

Sports

Movies

TV Variety

TV Drama

Music

Kpop

right at the bottom, in influence and earnings. Hence the need to internationalize the market, I suppose.

• Plus e sports. Games like LoL have a lot of influence on Korea and Faker, aka Lee Sanghyuk , briefly reached a celebrity status comparable to BTS in Korea.

• Plus e sports. Games like LoL have a lot of influence on Korea and Faker, aka Lee Sanghyuk , briefly reached a celebrity status comparable to BTS in Korea.

Ah, did not know that.. but isn't e-sports demographically limited like K-pop itself.

On that, is IU one of the rare singers who have had a stint in Gaming as well, another reason for her following.

Are there others? Contributing songs, hosting, or even as in-game characters?

Aespa's concept is well suited to expand into that.

And What is with hip-hoppers calling her the #1?

Even if said in jest, to avoid fan-wars/ego clashes, it still places her in unique position.

Even among Kpop fandoms and company based stans - their conflicts, She is probably everyone's safe second choice.

• E sports are also big in China .

IU does not game anymore.

I think SM is thinking about the e sport demographic but so far aespa's fans say they should rather stick with the real members and stop playing with their avatars.

IU being called as the national hip hopper is kind of a joke.

That aside, hip hop was on the way of conquering KPop back in early 2014 until the Sewol ferry incident basically stopped their progress. More on that in another day when I feel like talking about it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!