Square Enix Games Discovery Thread

• Final Fantasy XIV: LE Cover - Minitokyo

Drakengard (video game) - Wikipedia

The Dumbest Game Names Square Enix Ever Inflicted on Us | WIRED

Here are a couple of my favorites, I have been a huge Square Enix fan for a long time and own over 50 games of theirs in physical formats. I even own the Final Fantasy Collection with 4-6 in it which is a limited release. If you want some recommendations on good Square Enix games to play. Ask Me here!

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Utada-Hikaru-Blue-Stay-Magical-Sig.png

• Go to Best Answer
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - It was an Eidos franchise developed by Crystal Dynamics but since Square Enix bought them, its folded into their portfolio. Dormant. For nearly 20 years. A cancelled follow-up leaked a couple of years ago. WTH is wrong with you Square? We need a remake. Not a remaster. A remake. Damn you.

Legacy of Kain - Soul Reaver.jpg

Vagrant Story - Not even a franchise :(

Vagrant Story.jpg

Chrono Trigger - The game has been ported so many times but there hasn't been a proper tie-in sequel. Sure, there's Chrono Cross (another good game by the way) but it's a different beast and there's I Am Setsuna, a supposed spiritual successor but that game kinda sputtered out. This game is in my top ten, maybe even top five, of my favorite RPGs of all time.

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1588783595

Final Fantasy Tactics - Yeah we got Advance and War of the Lions on handhelds and the JRPG tactics games have been done so many times and better on some occasion (e.g. Disgaea) however I personally could do with a new game set on Ivalice (which happens to be my favorite FF setting)

Fftbox.jpg

Parasite Eve - Another dead IP. Really Square Enix. This could have been their Resident Evil. I even enjoyed Third Birthday.

Parasite Eve.jpg

Fear Effect - The other game that could have been their Resident Evil killer. It has a unique setting and the story wasn't shabby at all. They did Sedna a few years ago under the Square Enix Collective banner but it was neither good nor was it the Fear Effect of the yesteryear. Sigh.

601352.jpg

Front Mission - Another Front Mission. Please. They did Evolved a decade ago but it wasn't turn-based, strategy RPG. I need a proper sequel. I'm sure there's an audience for this. While were at it, FromSoftware needs to revive Armored Core as well.

Front Mission.jpg

Thief - Another Eidos franchise that got folded into Square's portfolio. The last one was decent IMHO but critics and ultimately, sales, disagree. It was a disappointment. I thought it was fun. I hope that wasn't the last we have seen of this franchise. The old games were revered as one of the best stealth titles out there (yeah, even the third game).

220px-Thief_box_art.jpg

Deus Ex - Deux Ex died for Marvel's Avengers. Let that sink in. While that's the common internet theory, the last one didn't do well which is sad and the Avengers have nothing to do with that. It was a good game right until the end. The ending was abrupt but the plan was for the game to span several titles to tell it's whole story. Obviously that didn't went as planned. I just hope we'd see another Deus Ex this generation.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQL5LpJCW4VH-pvbftZadxDC3d1N7OGjB1hGA&usqp=CAU&ec=45761791

Anachronox - A little known RPG from Ion Storm. Another one of those Eidos games back in the day. It was janky, buggy at times and not really good-looking even then, however the script was great and the story was decent. Gameplay-wise, it copied (i.e. satirizes) systems from turn-base JRPGs. Doesn't need a sequel, it was obviously a one-off. A remaster would be great though.

Anachronox.jpg

Tomb Raider - I enjoyed the last trilogy and would like to see where they would be taking the IP next.

220px-TombRaider2013.jpg

The SaGa series - One of their better RPGs that is neither Final Fantasy nor Dragon Quest.

SaGa Scarlet Grace.jpg

The Last Remnant - Not even a franchise :(

The_Last_Remnant.jpg

• I have played all of these except Deus Ex. I loved Last Remnant and Vagrant Story so much I am very mad they undersold.

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

• Best Answer

I have played all of these except Deus Ex. I loved Last Remnant and Vagrant Story so much I am very mad they undersold.

I know it's unrealistic to expect Square Enix to fund development for all the games in their library, but man, they have a lot of dormant gems that might do well with a modern take. The other publisher I could think of is Capcom. A lot of great IPs that are just gathering dust.

• I know it's unrealistic to expect Square Enix to fund development for all the games in their library, but man, they have a lot of dormant gems that might do well with a modern take. The other publisher I could think of is Capcom. A lot of great IPs that are just gathering dust.

Yes, I may start a Capcom thread as well TBH. I think Valkyrie Profile, Front Mission, and Live A Live really need revamped as in more titles in the series. They at least deserve the Nier treatment bare minimum. I also think that if Dewprism had been promoted properly it could have been just as successful as Final Fantasy X

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

• Bahamut Lagoon, Secrets of Evermore, Treasure Hunter G, Final Fantasy VI - A bunch of SNES JRPGs that I can barely remember playing now (aside from FF VI) but were really good at that time. Treasure Hunter G and Bahamut Lagoon I played later on an emulator with the English patch as they weren't ported to the west as far as I know.

Bahamut_Lagoon_Coverart.png

71ZSV2T54KL.gif

TreasureHunterG_boxart.jpg

Final_Fantasy_VI.jpg

• I have played the first and last game numerous time, the two in the middle I will admit I have not played yet.

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!