Being offended on other people's behalf

• I remember seeing some tumblr posts that were like "this is racist" and then the person, who actually was of that race said "no, it's not."

e.g. when there was this tumblr post of this little girl dressed up in a kimono and having a tea ceremony, and some users called it racist and cultural appropriation. But an actual Japanese person said "No, it's not racist."

I remember though when I saw a kpop artist wearing grills, I was wondering if it was cultural appropriation and thought that the artist was going to get into controversy for it. But I was wrong. People seemed to like it. (or at least, I didn't notice any negative comments about it)

When I hear a relative of mine using an ethnic slur, I tell them to not do it.

One reason because I know that it's not okay.

I get called "sensitive" by those relatives, but them saying that doesn't make me change my mind.

I remember going to a school, and there was this guy who was half Greenlandic.

And another guy made a "drunk Greenlander" joke in front of him.

The teachers told him then that it wasn't okay to joke about such things.

There have been times when I'm thinking "I can't say anything about this because I'm not ______".

But there have been times when I'm also like "I'm ______, but I can't speak for all of them" (the only _____ in this context, I can think of, is the fact that I'm autistic.)

I feel like I can't say that something is racist, disablist etc... unless it is obvious.

Well... I have heard that there are also cases, where some people of a certain race say that something is racist and then this one person of same race says "I'm ____ and I don't find it racist."

And I know that there are autistic people, who don't mind it, when people say "person with autism" or use the word "Aspergers".

I'm one of those people who don't mind the two things, but I am that kind of person who says "autistic person" instead of "person with autism". And I don't use the word "Aspergers."

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!