Hayao Miyazaki's "The Boy and the Heron" Debuts At #1 in the U.S. Box Office!

• 'The Boy and the Heron' tops box office, soars above 'Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes'
    Hayao Miyazaki's 'The Boy and The Heron' debuts at no. 1, soaring above 'Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes' at the weekend box office
    ew.com

The Boy & the Heron Flies to Break a North American Box Office Record
    Hayao Miyazaki's not-quite-final film spreads its wings to become the first original anime film to headline a box office in the west.
    gizmodo.com

The Boy and The Heron soars above Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes while Wonka dazzles abroad

The Studio Ghibli film debuted to $12.8 million in North America, for a total of $114.2 million worldwide.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Feathers, fur, and musical numbers reigned supreme at this weekend’s box office, where birds, trolls, and a kaiju duked it out for the #1 spot.

The Boy and the Heron, the latest from the mind of Hayao Miyakazi and Studio Ghibli came out on top, debuting to $12.8 million at the domestic box office for a grand total of $114.2 million worldwide.

Clearly cinephiles worldwide were pleased to see the legendary filmmaker behind titles like Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro make his unexpected return with yet another magical epic. The film follows young Mahito, who ventures into a world shared by the living and the dead after his mother’s death. Though the mythical creatures and phantasmagoric imagery says otherwise, the semi-autobiographical story also draws upon realism, not unlike The Wind Rises, the film previously thought to be the director’s last.

• supposedly it's his final film! although who knows, he has already retired before just to come back later

it's been out in Japan for a while but in most of the world premieres this month

just waiting for the chinese version to come out so I can watch it with my wife

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!