XG “New Dance”: BOP vs FLOP

• They are not K-pop ffs. Get the fuck out of here

All they do is appropriate black and Korean culture. If I was black or Korean I’d egg those muggles

Black person here who also happens to REALLY like XG. To me, I would rather a group just go all out hip hop and r&b rather than sprinkling in some rap here and there because it's "cool" and because they have someone in the group that can't sing or dance well but still want to justify giving them a role in a musical group (aka a lot of kpop "rappers"). A LOT of Korean "rap" is appropriation but that is a can of worms and a longer discussion than I would rather have.

Personally, I have critiqued XG in the past because I know they use a lot of AAVE in their songs, which definitely makes me side eye because I KNOW they don't use the same "slang" in every day conversation. However, I am also aware of the unfortunate reality that hip hop and Black culture (much like Korean culture) has become commodified. Do I like that? Absolutely not but it is what it is.

If we were to call out every kpop group for every single culturally appropriated act, kpop pretty much would not exist since the roots of kpop trace back to acts like Seo Taji and the Boys, which made "hip hop" music. So yeah, not worth opening the can of worms but I wrote all of that to say I hope you call out every group that has a rapper dressed in "swag" or have songs that contain AAVE with the same energy that you do towards XG.

• Blop. The verses are a bop but the chorus is really repetitive.

the “i just learnt a new dance” hook is truly the weakest part of the song lol but the rest is good! for some reason i love harvey’s part in the bridge lol ik her voice can be an “acquired taste” for some people but i vibe with it and her execution of her lines :dancer-pepe:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!