HK Cinema: Once Upon a Time in China 1 - 1991 - Jet Li

• Ahh A Better Tomorrow 1 is a timeless classic. I don’t remember part 2 at all but CYF is also another great HK actor. My family has a joke because my father looks kind like him - so they all joke that he is channeling his CYF lol. His series The Bund (a la Shanghai mobsters) was the first that I remember seeing when young because my Chinese grandma was a huge fan.

The holy HK actor trinity for me: Tony Leung, Jet Li, and CYF.

Tony Leung Chiu-Wai or Tony Leung Ka-Fai? :pepe-devil:

Yes, A Better Tomorrow is a classic and was responsible for the new wave of crime movies that made wu xia/kung fu pian outdated at the time (until OUATIC).

The thing is, Chow Yun-Fat only plays a side character in it. The story really revolves around the two brothers played by Ti Lung and Leslie Cheung. But the movie made CYF a huge star, so when they quickly decided to make a sequel, they couldn't pass on making CYF return (even though his character died).

There's no two ways about it, when you want to make a character return even though they died, you have to rely on very stupid plot devices. So what they did with CYF is, he didn't return as his previous character, no. He returned as his twin brother! Of course, it makes so much sense! The long lost twin brother we never heard of.

lol I swear, so shameless. It's the reason why John Woo didn't want to make the movie, he thought the story was stupid. And he killed everyone in the final act so no sequels could be made afterwards.

At least the action scenes were excellent.

• Part VI (OUATICAA) oh boy. I now know why I never watched this one again after the first time lol. Def a product of its time and totally the worst one among the Jet Li films. I am sure fans were happy JL was back as HFH and the only good aspect of the plot was the highlighting the plight/situation of Chinese immigrants that built the rails out West.

But the plot with the amnesia was terrible and none of the fight scenes made much sense or can be compared to past films.

The whole cowboy and Indians plot was flat and silly too. At least the portrayal of Native Americans was not as bad as I feared (like total trash) but it was still be def inaccurate + insensitive but the film showed that there were good and bad ppl within all groups.

• Part VI (OUATICAA) oh boy. I now know why I never watched this one again after the first time lol. Def a product of its time and totally the worst one among the Jet Li films. I am sure fans were happy JL was back as HFH and the only good aspect of the plot was the highlighting the plight/situation of Chinese immigrants that built the rails out West.

But the plot with the amnesia was terrible and none of the fight scenes made much sense or can be compared to past films.

The whole cowboy and Indians plot was flat and silly too. At least the portrayal of Native Americans was not as bad as I feared (like total trash) but it was still be def inaccurate + insensitive but the film showed that there were good and bad ppl within all groups.

The funniest scene was when HFH was giving a lecture to the migrant workers about gambling and making China proud and they were all zoned out and sleeping lol.

• I've always had a slight preference for 2. Its paced better and has two Li/Yen fights in it. Hard to beat that.

92 was actually a break out year for Yen as he played the villain in this and also the great remake "Dragon Inn".

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!