Exo became first million seller after 12 years in 2013. What makes Exo such a force back then?

• There wasn’t any million seller in Korea fron 2001 until Exo came and did it with an album and repackage in 2013. They won Album of the Year at MAMA for 5 years straight from 2013 to 2017. Many groups at that time get hits, even more hits than Exo, but Exo felt like a phenomenon. What makes Exo so crazy popular back then?

pasted-from-clipboard.jpeg

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Approved the thread.
  • Phenomenon to who? To their fans, of course.

• Exo is the First million seller with repackage. The first to sell 1M from one album is BTS. Only SM loves to mediaplay by saying they revived the album sales and the fans bought it.

• Not according to GAON

rQv8Pfy.png

Exo ls still living in SM mediaplay bubble. Why do you think SM no longer mediaplay repackaged albums with their groups now? Because GAON called everyone out stating that different barcodes are not the same product. Big 3 stans gave BTS hell for Bighit saying the exact thing about hyyh twp years later and everyone was on board then that having multiple albums all counted together was invalid so why do exo and SM get a free past?

• its 2022 and stans still say "exo first million seller in x years".. only certain stans though

• we know this but why you all acting like you weren't downplaying others to lift your faves in that thread

twice achievements were amazing during their peak if people said twice you all got mad

• Nice set up op.

Everyones just going to deny and twist everything anyway.

• they directly appeal to Chinese audiences who bought a lot of albums. That same market has been responsible for the dramatic increase in album sales.

• you should clarify that 1 million is from combining repackages and tons of versions and not show in gaon as 1 album combined.

• Repackage and Chinese version. Without them EXO can't even reach 500k (till Ex'act in 2016)

• The way this post backfired... doesn't even look like a set up... I'm sorry OP

To answer your question, focusing on Chinese market and the whole "im your boyfriend, please support me" image was what made them sell so well back then

• I don't know but somethig about EXO must bother so many people when they come to every EXO thread to bash them. I didn't know people was so sore about their "irrelevance."

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!