Posts by AyanEva

If these are similar to the BTS books they're really excellent Korean textbooks for a fair price and they should be really cool! I have the beginner-intermediate BTS set, although I've just moved beyond them recently and will likely purchase the next level up soon. It might not be music but if you like learning new languages, specifically Korean, it will probably be worth buying.

Why are they cursing at the US? Every time we get involved, it just makes things worse and we get cursed at even more. We can't be responsible for everything (and again we have a habit of just making things worse even if it's by accident). Go yell at NATO. They have a whole joint military force they can use.

BigHit/Hybe just seems to be slow af in general with debuting groups. They're perpetually behind schedule with all of them and I really don't know why there's so much slippage in their estimated timeline. I know they're extremely cautious, maybe excessively so. One theory I have is that they are so risk averse that they over plan everything, causing their deadlines to slip repeatedly until they're eventually like a year behind.

I have to admit that i found some of the uwu stuff weird as hell when i first got into kpop. I remember just cringing any time i saw a poster call their faves "our boys". Like, seriously? That "boy" is 27 years old. He's a full grown man and no, he's not afraid of girls. What are you smoking? The desire to infantalize them with aegyo, cutesy nicknames, and childish outfits was baffling to me. I understand it and accept it more now cuz "cute" is just more of a thing in that culture but I still feel that a lot of fans want to view idols like innocent cartoon characters from a children's show than a grown real life human being with lots of different traits both good and bad.

I'd say calling adults "our boys" and "our girls" is super common in some contexts though so that one has never seemed odd or infantilizing to me in most cases. Sports are huge here in Philly and we always refer to the Eagles as "our team" "our guys" "our boys." Same with the Flyers or the Sixers. Even with other artists or groups, "our boys" "our girls" "our guy" "our girl" is super common. I think it's that parasocial relationship aspect.

Before I got into BTS, here were my reactions, as gp, to kpop:

1. "This music is terrible. It sounds like 3 songs mashed together and none of it works. Also, the sound is 3 years out of date. This is lame af." (I still think that about quite a few songs. I'm not a fan of Next Level...)

2. "I'm not watching that cultural appropriation ni**aboo shit."

3. I definitely had some prejudices towards Asians because of what I'd heard from folks around me when I was growing up.

Now, obviously my opinion has become more nuanced and hopefully more educated over the years but I can say that the way my old self thought about kpop isn't unique. Just look around Twitter and you'll see similar opinions. This is certainly a factor in why it's been more difficult for kpop to really catch on.

I primarily stream but I do buy a lot of physicals and digital music to support artists that I like because they make so little money per stream. I also buy vinyls because I have a turntable and the sound quality of vinyl is superior. Many vinyls are lovely just as art, as well. Most recent purchase is Purple Rain on purple vinyl and the Bill & Ted Face The Music soundtrack on red marbled vinyl.

Allegiant is a beautiful stadium so fans should have a lot of fun there. I've not been inside yet but what I've seen of it looks great. Also it's much easier to get around the Strip and Downtown than it is to get around LA.

If you're going, I recommend eating off-strip at Ellis Island. Just walk behind Bally's and you'll run right into it. Also there's a great inexpensive ramen shop in the Grand Bizarre Shops at Bally's. If you don't want to go completely broke though, eat Downtown (Binions Cafe is wonderful and there are a shit ton of great, inexpensive dining options if you walk just off of Fremont Street). You can take the bus easily if you don't wanna do rideshare.

Also hit up The Peppermill for a lot of food at a pretty low price. Make reservations for EVERYTHING or you're not eating, unless it's at like Nathan's Hotdogs. They're still short staffed so they can't seat full capacity yet. You often won't have much luck just walking up to a place and expecting to be seated quickly.

Absolutely! When I used to work with middle school kids 4 or 5 years ago, SO many were ARMY. They didn't necessarily have money for merch or things like that so you wouldn't know unless they said something. It's similar with adult fans. Even if we can afford merch many of us aren't wearing it consistently so if you look at us, there's no way to tell we're ARMY. But if you get us talking, we'll probably show you the photocard collection stashed in our laptop bag (or a badge collection, in my case).

I love to see it! I was babysitting sitting my nephews the other week with my sister's friend, who is around my age (they're 37, I'm 38). It turns out, they're an ARMY/ATINY and they were at the LA show the day before mine. We were in LA at the same time and had no idea because we had never met, only to find out months later that we probably passed each other on the street. Anyway, I bring this up as another example of just how many fans are in the US. We're not all obvious but it's a massive number. I remember on my flight from Philly to LA, it was just all ARMY in their 20s, 30s, and older and I'm like, "Where the fuck did y'all even come from?!"