TWICE will retire as the greatest female K-Pop group of all time.

• Twice will retire as the greatest kpop girl group of all time

Firstly, what metrics am I considering for the “GOAT” status? Awards (emphasis on Daesangs and Bonsangs), records, sales, streams/views, charts, consistency/longevity, number of songs/albums, cultural impact in Korea/Asia/rest of the world and the versatility of their discography/concepts/performances (the last two metrics are more subjective). When considering all of these factors, I truly believe TWICE dominates most areas in comparison to the rest of female K-Pop groups. Realistically, I only see SNSD with solid arguments to dispute this position, and to a certain extent Blackpink.

My main argument is that by the time TWICE is finished as a group, they will have cemented their position as the GOAT female group in K-Pop, backed by the metrics established above. Currently, TWICE is the group that best balances the musical and national arguments of SNSD with the international reach of Blackpink. They just became the first female K-Pop act with two arena tours in North America, and with consistent music releases, they are bound to remain at the top of the industry in the near future. In my opinion, the only thing that can prevent TWICE from finishing as the GOAT female K-Pop group is if the entire group disbands this year, which would significantly harm their longevity aspect and strengthen SNSD’s position.

I think this is unpopular because most K-Pop fans would argue SNSD is the greatest female K-Pop group ever, given their influence on the genre and Korean culture, as well as their undisputed position as most important group of the 2nd generation. Also, many would argue TWICE isn’t even the greatest girl group of the 3rd generation, giving the edge to Blackpink.

Lastly, I want to say that I appreciate multiple girl groups and that this debate is just for fun. It is also difficult to compare different generations of the genre, since the industry continues to grow with each generation. As a ONCE, I don’t think TWICE would have ever become this big without the role SNSD played in the previous generation, the same way future generations will benefit from TWICE’s impact on the industry.

What do you guys think? I want to hear your opinions on this.

Approved the thread.
  • SNSD is.

They already did all that in an era when kpop was still confined in Korea and without many of the technologies we take for granted like YouTube and social media. They not only expanded kpop worldwide but also shaped and influenced kpop industry. Twice is a copy of SNSD formula after all. They were also an ngg in every sense of the word, every thing they did became national events whether they smashed charts, set new TV ratings, endorsed every product under the sun or was the basis/role model for hundreds of future idols and groups.

• One of the greatest, but I don't see them as the greatest, with all respect.

SNSD had a longer reign and a higher peak on multiple fronts, and TWICE have to share their dominance in 3rd gen era with BP who surpassed TWICE after only 3 years, while being far less active.

I don't get why groups need to be compared like that. They rose in different times which makes it difficult already to compare.

• They will not be.They are not #1 internationally. They have not sold a million albums. They don’t have solo member impact either. Lisa for example had a world wide hit all on her own.

In very metric they are second to blackpink. Except in having more releases. They are consistent and a top group. But they will never be remembered as the #1 group. Unless a group can get better numbers than blackpink, they will stay the undisputed and uncontested #1.

• Before even reading this thread, the title alone just feels like a huge set-up.

• They will not be.They are not #1 internationally. They have not sold a million albums. They don’t have solo member impact either. Lisa for example had a world wide hit all on her own.

In very metric they are second to blackpink. Except in having more releases. They are consistent and a top group. But they will never be remembered as the #1 group. Unless a group can get better numbers than blackpink, they will stay the undisputed and uncontested #1.

Blackpink would never sell million albums without years of drought.

• That's Girls Generation. You think the generic brand ever outdoes the original? Come on now.

• You really typed a whole essay just to be wrong from the title. Just let it go at this point, people who deny BP is the biggest korean gg of all times give flat earther energy

• You know what? They can hold on to the "Nation's GG" title. TWICE needs something to cling to. It sure ain't money. Imagine all those releases and tours and their bank accounts are smaller than 4th gen members.

• You know what? They can hold on to the "Nation's GG" title. TWICE needs something to cling to. It sure ain't money. Imagine all those releases and tours and their bank accounts are smaller than 4th gen members.

Say that without crying. You’re so salty that you even made up lies

• i think they still have 2 good years

• twice are nothing like snsd. if that was the case i'd be a snsd fan as well but i couldnt care less about them

That just mean you like the knock brands over the real thing. Like preferring RC cola over Coca Cola

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!