Why do you think people glorify unstanning BTS so much ?

Approved the thread.
  • i wouldn't say glorify but i unstanned bts because i don't like their music anymore.

• Idk it's kind of embarrassing tbh :pepe-hehe:

• unstanning a really popular artist makes them edgy

• cause whenever someone says they dont like bts anymore their fans all act personally attacked and make a big deal out of it

there's many people who will say they dont consume X product anymore because of drop in quality or satisfaction and the general reaction is, i see your point, you do you

even in kpop you can say about a lot of groups whose music you used to like but dont anymore so you unstanned

most people will respect your opinion

but you say that about BTS and their fans will go batshit crazy

at their core they are extremely insecure and live through the validation their idols get

so their reaction is what blows up these statements, not the statements themselves cause they are perfectly reasonable statements that everyone makes about something or the other through their life

• They get brownie points and likes from the kpop community. Everyone likes attention and that's the best way to get it.

• Because BTS are #that group. You can be neutral towards mid tier or nugu groups but for a top group like bts, you have to have an opinion.

• Because people take being able to get out of the herd as some display of superiority or somethig like that. And because for their fans, someone unstanning their faves, especially if they are at the top, it's unthinkable. And the rest take it as a sign that the group is losing popularity as fans are leaving.

People who glorify unstanning an artist, do it for attention or to be recognized for standing for themselves and being able to not go with the crowd just because.

Most people simply unfollow because they are no longer interested, but they don't make a big deal about it.

• BTS' has changed a lot lately, particularly since Dynamite and yet many fans act like unstanning because of this means people were never fans to begin with. It's an obvious untruth, yet they become instantly hostile and demand that former fans leave quietly.

It's always 'good riddance', 'don't let the door hit you in your way out'. There's no conversation to be had, no interest in hearing why.

Former fans are treated like heretics eventhough they might just be genuinely sad and feel a need to talk. Kpop is a hobby for many and we often invest a lot of time into our hobbies over the years. The hostility former fans who are instantly dubbed antis face is pretty disturbing, particularly since it wasn't always like this.

Back in the old forum some longtime fans were talking about falling out of love with BTS as well and those thread were lovely. People calmly talked about why and tried to understand each other's point of view.

Now, those who no longer like the music are supposed to just shut up and keep the supposed negativity to themselves. There's no conversation to be had anymore. It's quite sad, because the fandom used to be more open and welcoming.

• It gets attention. You'll mostly see it on reddit or here though, not so much on twitter where they'll take your account down, or YouTube same thing. There "why I unstanned Blackpink" is still your safest bet.

• i wouldn't say glorify but i unstanned bts because i don't like their music anymore.

and you're free to do that. I've stopped following loads of kpop groups and did not make it a display. So there are people who did just like me when it comes to unstanning BTS but the ones I'm talking about are the people who have this weird "not like the other girls" energy and seek out solidarity from no longer being a fan of the group. What do you say in a situation like that to those people? "Good job!" "You're finally free!" , "I'm happy for you!", "Awesome, you no longer have to listen to them!" ??? It's just weird to me I guess.

• and you're free to do that. I've stopped following loads of kpop groups and did not make it a display. So there are people who did just like me when it comes to unstanning BTS but the ones I'm talking about are the people who have this weird "not like the other girls" energy and seek out solidarity from no longer being a fan of the group. What do you say in a situation like that to those people? "Good job!" "You're finally free!" , "I'm happy for you!", "Awesome, you no longer have to listen to them!" ??? It's just weird to me I guess.

i made a response thread to this (though it's more about a specific comment) and honestly it's because people treat being a fan of BTS like being in a cult or some weird shit like that.

it's not.

honestly ignore those people. i'm an Army and there's nothing wrong with unstanning them, if their music doesn't suit you anymore, that's okay. but those people being weird about it are definitely trying to be special because now that's the cool thing. in the k-pop world, it used to be cool to like bts but now the tables have turned. it's sad but true.

• it's like a badge of honour to announce unstanning the world's top group.

• It’s just edgy kid mentality. And not just BTS. Any act that started out small or unknown that rise up because of their outstanding music and went mainstream will get this kind of reaction. I’ve seen it with various acts like Metallica, Billie Eilish etc.

Some people just wanna be special and stan good acts that are not popular. It’s kinda sad they want their faves to be at the same nugu level just to satisfy their ego. And it’s not enough for them to stop stanning quietly, it needed to be announced! Otherwise, who would know that you’re special and edgy and don’t follow the crowds? Lol

• Because by nature kpop stans are outcasts, social lepers and such. So it feels disingenuous for them to be a fan of the most popular, mainstream group. I say good riddance, go stan whoever, dye your hair 12 different colors, order your mcdonald's meal and write that wattapad fan fic, just stop telling anyone who'll listen about it.

• If you're talking about the essays and giant announcements people make when they unstan a group, people just do it for attention and it's not solely army who do it. I've seen huge essays from fans of different groups as well.

I think armys ones just blow up because like someone else said, army take it as a personal attack rather than just an individual choice whereas most other fandoms I've seen either mock the announcement as great why should we care or just ignore it as a you do you thing.

• I think it's more problematic to gate keep different opinions including negative ones and forcing down the fake positivity when people have something to say.

• i noticed akp ex-armys keep on repeating the line “i used to stan bts” a lot. they keep on getting in bts threads though. kinda obsessive

• i noticed akp ex-armys keep on repeating the line “i used to stan bts” a lot. they keep on getting in bts threads though. kinda obsessive

So true. They'll say that line even in unrelated threads yet they're always the first to comment in threads about them. Can you really consider them ex fans if they still keep up with bts that much?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!