Unpopular Opinion : the criticism of aespa lacking stage presence only started after they're winning best dance performance at MAMA

Approved the thread.
  • I don't think so. I distinctly remember people saying this right after Black Mamba and thinking how unfair that criticism was for a group that just debuted and had never performed in front of a real audience before.

• people criticise aespa's stage presence when they started become popular.

• No, they really lack stage presence especially Winter.

Why does she look mad when performing?

• They have the best stage presence of 4th gen GG and most of 3rd gen GG

Everyone is just jealous of their success

• Honestly, they aren't bad. People just wanted them to compare with ITZY who are already 3 years into their career and can get extended perfs. While aespa is a rookie its impossible for them to bag an extended-themed perf and SM wants to keep them low budget for awards. The only distinction I would say is STAYC surpassing them due to new remixes (even though they are at the same level as aespa). Only if Giselle and Winter push themselves to the level of Karina & Ningning in terms of dancing.

SM's weird obsession with camera work makes it difficult to catch their expressions, if you compare it with their fancams they are nicely giving the right expressions but recorded performances telecasted live with a fast-paced camera-work its difficult to show their real stage presence.

• It started before that actually. They have been lacklustre lately and I'm a fan

• Haters are clutching at straws here.

People have been so brainwashed by the Produce series that they think stage presence = winks, lip bites and aegyo.

Or that having an elaborate set, dynamic lighting and backup dancers means a group has "stage presence".

Aespa have plenty of stage presence. People like to watch them. That's stage presence.

Their fancams and stage performances consistently get some of the biggest views on Youtube compared to many other groups.

Why are so many people watching them if they have zero stage presence as the haters like to claim? It's certainly not because they have a much bigger fandom than many other groups out there.

Just say you don't like them and move on.

• No, they really lack stage presence especially Winter.

Why does she look mad when performing?

why do people always think like expression=stage presence?? i don't get it, facial expression is important but it is no needed all the time. song like Black mamba and Savage would look weird and constantly a turned off if the members keep smiling and show their teeth too often LMAO, just admit it that they just got mad when aespa becomes popular and thus the so-called "stage presence" is created

• kpop fan nowsaday,

expression = stage presence.

what kind of med are u on? ?(?(?(

• why do people always think like expression=stage presence?? i don't get it, facial expression is important but it is no needed all the time. song like Black mamba and Savage would look weird and constantly a turned off if the members keep smiling and show their teeth too often LMAO, just admit it that they just got mad when aespa becomes popular and thus the so-called "stage presence" is created

Exactly. As we all know only 2 facial expressions exist. Smiling face and blank face. And since they can't do the smiling they have to go with what's left?

• A lot of people were criticising them for their Macy's performance while not taking into consideration that they were out in miniskirts at minus weather, all have gotten sick after that (remember the airport drama?) and they were on something that was moving while they were performing and their stage was unstable. Delusional if you think your faves would've done better.

• no ive literally seen people saying it since their debut?? While I dont doubt that a lot of people are just now voicing their thoughts on it out of jealous im pretty sure the majority of those people still actually believe in what they're saying because no matter how you twist it they really do lack stage presence.

• That's not true. They've gotten such criticism since debut maybe you weren't just paying attention. I can see where people are coming from though. It never seems like they are that engaged with the audience and most times it looks like they're only going through the motions.

• It started before that actually. They have been lacklustre lately and I'm a fan

So you haven't watched their DCT performances then. Idk if you are fan or not.

What is stage presence actually means for you? No dance break in special performances? Or should they exaggerate expression? Flash a smile? Act sexy and flirty? They are singing about beating Black Mamba not talking about loving someone. Imagine aespa doing those kind of things while singing about fighting with snake so they should flirt the snake or what? I'm savage *winking*:*

It doesn't make sense

• Wasn't it about the parade as well?

But the award shows performances showed there's a difference between them and other groups that debuted close to them or even way after them.

All the members of Ive are better than Aespa on stage.

I don't know if it is the ae concept and they were told to have a blank face and show no emotion but it doesn't look good.

• for those of you that saying they're gotten the hate since debut is partially incorrect.

Yes they got hate but it's the combination of basically everything they did and those fake rumors not helping at all. Actually, the stage presence criticism were not as big as after they have gotten best dance award. Notice how the widespread lack of stage presence conversation began after they are perfoming in MAMA. In tiktok, twitter, reddit and here.

• They are not engaged in their own performances

It seems they are thinking about the next step they will have to do instead of just move naturally

It's hard to enjoy from viewers' perspective

• aespa stans need to accept criticism. It’s normal for a new group from a big label with highly promoted members to be scrutinised to death.

People may compared them to Itzy (also from Big3) who already had great stage presence and commanded the stage during debut. As long as aespa keeps improving, who cares.

• aespa stans need to accept criticism. It’s normal for a new group from a big label with highly promoted members to be scrutinised to death.

People may compared them to Itzy (also from Big3) who already had great stage presence and commanded the stage during debut. As long as aespa keeps improving, who cares.

We don't need to accept criticism because we don't agree with it.

You have your opinion, we have ours.

• MAMA? I think people start talking about their stage presence after their awful performance at macy parade.

and that performance deserve criticism

• No it started when they debuted. Even before that when Karina stiffly waved her limbs about in the Kai dance performance looking like a praying mantis that just assumed human form. Continued with Next Level. Savage. That float performance where they looked as frozen as they felt. MAMA was just another confirmation.

They lack stage presence. It's OK. Just hype their songs and singing.

• I don't know why some non fans waste their time watching performances from groups they don't enjoy.

• I don't know why some non fans waste their time watching performances from groups they don't enjoy.

maybe because their life is boring and their supposed group " with stage presence" don't give them enough excitement

that's why they are checking performance of group they don't stan or care about

Yes with success comes hate. Actually only ifans hype itzy stage presence, knets aren't because lia dragging down their performance as a group.

They are not engaged in their own performances

It seems they are thinking about the next step they will have to do instead of just move naturally

It's hard to enjoy from viewers' perspective

How do you know aespa are thinking about the next moves? Based on their expression? Just saying anything i guess. What so they do? Twirling their hair? Winking? Fliriting with the camera? Again, Hey they are fighting with Black Mamba ;(

MAMA? I think people start talking about their stage presence after their awful performance at macy parade.

and that performance deserve criticism

no, macy parade mostly because of the weather, narrow stage and poor choice of song. Not because of stage presence.

Miserable Kpop stans started questioning aespa stage presence ever since MAMA. Starting that day, aespa stage presence became an issue and continue online slandering with video and caption with "no stage presence " blah blah blah

• How do you know aespa are thinking about the next moves? Based on their expression? Just saying anything i guess. What so they do? Twirling their hair? Winking? Fliriting with the camera? Again, Hey they are fighting with Black Mamba ;(

I didn't say It's what they are thinking, I said It seems. It can or not be, but It's the impression I have, because the moves are too robotic.

• I didn't say It's what they are thinking, I said It seems. It can or not be, but It's the impression I have, because the moves are too robotic.

because it's depends on vibe of the songs. BM, Next Level and savage are supposed to be robotic and the choreo.

Watch DCT and Forever. By the way you shouldn't compare aespa with other groups since others songs aren't the same as aespa. they're mainly talking about love, breaking up, basically about daily lifes . Aespa main title tracks are talking about killing Black Mamba

• I didn't say It's what they are thinking, I said It seems. It can or not be, but It's the impression I have, because the moves are too robotic.

dont just spit out nonsense, come on now, u want something nice? go watch their Forever and DCT stage and if not also watch some of their contents to actually help you to focus on something nice about them.

• They have been critised since debut but the criticism wasnt much since most people gave them benefit of doubt and waited them to improve since they have just debuted, but performances after performances they didn't improve, i just don't feel the passion and energy when they perform, even with blank face if u have oozing charisma u can catch viewers, but aespa just lacks that, but its okay since 99% of kpop groups lacks it anyways.

• No it started when they debuted. Even before that when Karina stiffly waved her limbs about in the Kai dance performance looking like a praying mantis that just assumed human form. Continued with Next Level. Savage. That float performance where they looked as frozen as they felt. MAMA was just another confirmation.

They lack stage presence. It's OK. Just hype their songs and singing.

well said

• They look dead on stage. It doesn't help they are subpar at dancing and bad rapping. No one deserves hate unless they do something actually questionable but the criticism is warranted

• so what then is the point of this thread? Aespa fans don't want to accept the (justified) criticism because they don't agree with it but at the same time they want us to accept their belief that people are just jealous?

• People were criticizing Karina even in her performance with Kai and her solo dance snippet. It definitely did not start at MAMA - it just got worse after MAMA because Itzy pulled out all the stops while Aespa looked like they would rather be anywhere but on stage. I think Karina has decent stage presence - she was able to hold her own in Step Back. But Winter's is god awful when the song demands anything more than just smiling at the camera like in Forever or Dreams Come True. She couldn't even move one facial muscle in any of her Step Back close ups? Ningning is improving. Giselle has regressed, or maybe Savage really doesn't suit her as a song. She was fine during BM and is doing okay during DCT but there are so many clips of her being either completely off beat or giving absolutely nothing while performing Savage

• OP sounds like they're just setting up aespa.

• This thread contains 45 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!