Chungha - Querencia, a Review from a Vtuber

• Chungha is a Kpop solo artist who made her debut as a solo artist in 2018 after being in the Mnet project girl group IOI. Known for her dancing abilities and her stage presence, she quickly rose up the ranks. She has had many hits, from Snapping to Gotta Go. Now looking at her prolonged teasers and preleases for this era, it seems that she is taking a more international turn in her career, especially because since she got signed to 88 rising. And these new influences of American R&B, rap, and even reggaeton, are present throughout this album, even down to the title. This a whopping 20 songs, long for kpop, but lets get into it.

Starting off with Side A (Noble)

This song is essentially an introduction to the album. Not much to say about it besides the there is synth horns.

Bicycle- This is unnaturally sexual for a kpop artist. Clearly has influences from American artists like Ariana Grande and Doja Cat, from the raps to adlibs to the chorus. I don’t like the post-chorus because it doesn’t connect to the chorus. It feels incomplete as a result. I see why this was picked as the title to mark Chungha’s international turn, but there are better songs here, and Roller Coaster is still my favorite.

Masquerade- Really love the synth heavy intro here! The chorus is so colorful, from the the big horns, to the trap beat heavy build heavy. Cungha’s vocals seems airy here but the beats are hard carrying here so there is no need to strain. And that bridge with the Maricahi saxophone! Should have been the title track, hope she promotes it

Flying on faith- This is a full English song! Chungha’s pronunciation is pretty good. The guitar instrumental reminds me of Taylor Swift’s Knew You were trouble, and Ariana Grande’s positions. The production in the chorus is just too loud for me, it clouds Chungha’s voice a bit too much. But I like the song, it is decent.

Luce Sicut Stellae- Seems like the token R&B song in kpop albums. Nothing less nothing more

06 Side (Savage) - The intro is like a runway

Stay Tonight, Dream of You, Bother Me, and Chill are like songs you will listen to in the club, so that threw me off a bit. Also Dream of You sounds like an English song that came off Dua Lipa’s Future Nostalgia, not that I am complaining. Chill reminds me of We Can’t Stop by Miley Cyrus even down to the instrumental. Chunga even says I won’t stop, like she is prohibited

Side C (Unknown) Sounds weird but trendy

Play ( a reggaeton dance banger, not much to say other than I like Changmo’s rap)

Demente - SPANISH SONG EVERYONE WE WON! Even Guaynaa, a reggaeton artist is on the song. It is by the mill, but this is revolutionary for kpop to include.

Lemon- Looks like she is dumping all the reggaeton songs here. Cold fits here, but now I am disappointed that there aren’t more features here.

Byulharang - The ballad. Now I see that Light and shining is a big theme of this album

Side D- Pleasure - Nothingburger, just X into

X, and a song I can’t pronounce - are ballads, not into ballads but they are fine

Come N Goes represents the end of the relationship, and closer to the end of the album, slower pop song, but not a ballad song thankfully

Overall- Very good album from Chungha, felt a bit bloated by the end. Did not need three ballads back to back, but it was more complete than the average Kpop album. I would give it a 8/10. Very enjoyable.

Please follow my new Twitter (@cottoncandyrevs), Twitch (cottoncandyreviews), and Youtube accounts down below, and I will see you next time! Please watch my review in video format!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!