Luna - Free Somebody

• I. Introduction

Free Somebody is the debut solo mini album by Luna, released on May 31, 2016. It contains six tracks, including the single and title song "Free Somebody". The EP marks Luna's debut as a solo artist, and incorporates a range of genres, including electropop and R&B.

II. Background & Overview

On May 26, 2016, Luna was announced to be releasing "Free Somebody", a promotional song for the album. A teaser video for the song was released on May 29, followed by its music video and digital release on May 31. Luna performed the song for the first time at the Show! Music Core.

The title track ''Free Somebody'' is a future house track composed by Swedish production team "The Family" and the American singer-songwriter JoJo.Lyrically, the song describes a desire to freely spread the dreams in the heart of the other party."Keep On Doin'" is of the electronic dance genre, and has an "addictive sound with a hook melody and a groovy funky base rhythm". "Breathe" is a trip hop based song.  "Galaxy" is of the electronic pop genre, its lyrics about "trying to stand out in the colourful galaxy"."Pretty Girl (I Wish)" and "My Medicine" were both written and composed by Luna.

According to Luna, the lyrics of "Pretty Girl (I Wish)" describe her hope that "young girls and young boys will never know the bitter taste of coffee and the dark side of the world''. "My Medicine" is an "R&B ballad song with a warm and fantasy-like feeling" that Luna wrote for her mother.

III. Tracklist

Title Lyrics Music Arrangement Length
    "Free Somebody" Kim Min-ji, Seo Ji-eum, JQ Anton Malmberg Hard af Segerstad, Joy Neil Mitro Deb, Linnea Mary Han Deb, Joanna "JoJo" Levesque Anton Malmberg Hard af Segerstad, Joy Neil Mitro Deb, Linnea Mary Han Deb, Joanna "JoJo" Levesque 3:20
    "Breathe" Ku Tae-oo Henk Jan Kooistra, Jantine Annika Heij Henk Jan Kooistra, Jantine Annika Heij 3:39
    "Keep On Doin'" Le'mon, JQ, Bae Seong-hyeon Sara Forsberg, Anton Malmberg Hard af Segerstad, Joy Neil Mitro Deb, Linnea Mary Han Deb Sara Forsberg, Anton Malmberg Hard af Segerstad, Joy Neil Mitro Deb, Linnea Mary Han Deb 3:13
    "예쁜 소녀 (I Wish)" Luna, Choi Luna, Park Seul Gi, Choi Park Seul Gi 3:43
    "Galaxy" Jo Yung-yeong Ross Lara, Todd Wright, Phoebe Sharp, Cassidy Ford, Sean Kendall Ross Lara 3:06
    "My Medicine" Luna, Choi Luna, Park Seul Gi, Choi Park Seul Gi 3:23

IV. Spotify Playlist

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

V. Videos

Free Somebody Teaser

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Free Somebody MV

Free Somebody Performance - M Countdown June 9, 2016

Keep on Doin Performance - M Countdown June 9, 2016

VI. Reception

The EP entered the Korean Gaon Album Chart at number five, and charted on the U.S. Billboard World Albums Chart at number three. It was the 15th best selling album in South Korea, in the month of May, selling over 8,000 physical copies. As of September 2016, it has sold over 10,000 copies. Free Somebody was considered a refreshing and unexpected move from Luna's predominant image as a ballad singer, with its electronic style resonating especially with international audiences.

The title track peaked at number 57 on Gaon Digital Chart. "Free Somebody" was also nominated for Best Dance Solo and Song of the Year at the 2016 MAMA Awards.