Posts by FoReveries

If I’m not mistaken, Twice and BP typically receive similar amounts of likes within the same period. Only RV received an extra boost than usual, but I assumed that’s because their fanbase was more dedicated on Melon, so they always had that extra push on that front. I wouldn’t think much of likes though. They don’t really indicate much with the way how easily they can be manipulated by fanbases.

We'll never know for sure of course, but it's weird to assume that Red Velvet have a bigger/more active fanbase purely only for this, when up till now always was assumed that BP and TWICE have the bigger, more active fanbase as seen in album sales etc.

Also, wouldn't streams be something that fans have more influence on? Genuinely asking.

Because 1 active fan can count for 10-100 casual listeners, due to the enormous amount of streams that 1 active fan can contribute compared to a non-fan casual listener, while 1 fan can only like a song 1 time, equally as much as a casual listener can => likes seem to equalize fans and casual listeners and bridge the gap in their individual influence, while streams seem to be where an active fan can really outdistance a casual listener.

Unless I'm interpreting streams and likes incorrectly, and the system works in an entirely different way.

The same like right now Melon has lower ULs because theyre losing market share. ULs peaked in 2018, imo, which was the optimal point where streaming became dominant and Melon hadnt lost much users yet.

But I just read in this same thread that the number of Melon subs has increased significantly last year (see @TheBotter 's post about it)

Shouldn't that mean that Melon hasn't lost that many users at all, but even gained some?

It's still confusing, but that's probably because I haven't paid close attention to it.

I always assumed that ULs (for both Melon and Genie?) are about the number of people (the unique listeners) that listened to a song in the past 24 hrs. So if Melon ULs says 300k or 400k, then that was the number of people that listened to the song at least once in the past 24 hrs.

But I understand there's also other UL stats, that range in the 3-4M? Are those the number of accumulated listeners since the release of the song?

I can see though how the 24H chart will have ended the huge peaks straight from the start, and spread it out more. But does this also apply for Genie? Or does the Genie chart not use ULs as a stat?

This one popped up in youtube :D

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Interesting how the other members manage to cover for Wendy's superb vocals, and are still able to sound good.

Only possible with true vocal groups :siptear::eyebrowsr:

Neither of those things are exclusive true or false. Melon has lost market share, other major apps are making leaps in growth against Melon too.

But the thing to remember(the important part most ignore) streaming as a whole is growing in Korea, in fact the whole music market in Korea has grown substantially in the last half decade. So yes 5 years ago Melon had 60%, compared to low 30's now, but the market is bigger so it has a smaller share of more people so the subs per month(people who can actually stream) are at an all time high the last time the data was made available in 2020.

It's also important to remember regardless of any and all anecdotal evidence such as hearing it's less popular, UL's going down, etc this information is published info and readily available on reputable sources.

I thought that ULs going down was usually a sign of decreased interest, and people jumping ship to other platforms.

But if Melon's ULs are going down, but their subs are going up - does that mean that there are more people on Melon, but that they're more casual, less active listeners?

Come to think of it, Melon does still show streams iirc, would be interesting to see how the current streams amount of the top charters compare with the stream figures of the top charters a couple of years back.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com

NL really is the nomination of the year

External Content

:wow: Aespa have been such a surprise.

They're completely leaving all the competition this year behind, from top trending girl groups to established top groups to digimons, you name it, they've surpassed it.

True monster rookie aces indeed :yesr::omgr::eyebrowsr:

You have to remember, in 2016 when those song hit big Melon had about 3.6 million monthly subs compared to late 2020 it was reported by the Korean Herald Melon now has over 8 million monthly subs.

So Melon has been increasingly getting more and more popular over time.

A lot of Me Gustas Tu and Rough's success was kind of compartmentalized into the year of 2016. Streaming was a much smaller pie back then.

? wait, what? :whatb:

I'm getting confused, I thought that Melon has steadily been losing market share, popularity and listeners to other digital platforms the past years?

A few years back, Melon had above 60% market share and now barely 30-35%, and also their ULs have taken a deep dive over the years.

I'm confused how to rhyme this with their increase of subs.

What is true? Is Melon losing popularity to other upcoming digital platforms like Genie, youtube streaming and Spotify, or is it gaining popularity?

to everyone confused LSM is apparently dating Giselle's aunt Joohee Cho she's 52 (53 in KR) and she's a new reporter so people (army's) are saying her articles on SM groups are all media play and trying to make it a huge deal and also saying Giselle only got into aespa cause her rich family background and her aunty being LSM GF.

I don't get it. Why would Army's of all fandoms be particularly invested and upset about LSM dating or Giselle being a niece? :/

As for the rest, it's kinda clockwork to see other-company stans and Aespa/SM antis trying to turn this into something to create 'controversial' fake news narratives in an attempt to throw shade towards Aespa, in order to cloud out all the positive buzz surrounding Aespa right now, that's basically how the anti & sabotage game has been played for years in K-pop:wellr:

yeah reporters made it sound like she is super young

honestly people dont mention this, but he resigned from all of his duties to dedicate his whole time when his wife was diagnosed

Might not be the perfect person, but he is actually a good partner to whoever he dates

Oow. He resigned from SME when his wife got cancer, and she also died from it? (since he's a widower now, apparently)

I didn't know, that must've been hard, to watch someone you love and spend a big part of your life with wither away due to cancer.

:wow: She has been in my PD 48 Top 5 ever since I saw her perform 'Very Very Very' in the PD48 show: she's just so cute and adorable that you just gotta love her.

And in IZ*One she showed how great she can be on stage with all kinda concepts and styles (and blond Hitomi is everything :lover3: )

It's a shame she isn't a part of K-pop anymore, now that IZ*One has dissolved.

And Eri is in it too (I couldn't spot her :/ )? She has such a phenomenal smile.

People trying hard to make a thing out of a grandma and grandpa dating

bc someone LSM age and with his money is only allowed to date a twinkie, not a mature person with a respectable job duh

Oow, I assumed the reporter was someone in her '20s or '30s, but I read now that she's in her '50s :wow:

Ah well, it still has a funny 'sugar daddy' vibe when he's handing out $4m condo's :P

Huh, interesting. Is this another thing like the monthly brand charts, what is it based on? :/

Congrats to all the ones listed :-)

Taeyeon's listed when she hasn't even had a comeback in the first half of 2021, but the beginning of July. Wow.

Also, well done to Aespa who managed to top the list with a clear gap, even while being a rookie group.

Still, I'm interested what this new list is actually based on, what it measures :-)