“The Makanai: Cooking for the Maiko House”: Showrunner Hirokazu Kore-eda, producer Genki Kawamura and starring Nana Mori and Natsuki Deguchi Jan. 12 on Netflix

• My type of J-drama!!! I will be watching it ~~~ join me - starts Jan. 12!

Set in the geisha district of Kyoto, this series follows Sumire, a maiko (apprentice geisha) and Kiyo, a cook at the maiko house where they live, and tells a story of their daily lives through delicious food.

Trailer:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I watched it and it’s a lovely slice of life, chill J-drama. Nothing much happens but there’s a nice focus on the Jpn culture, traditions, and correcting the misconceptions about Maiko and Geisha.

Made me crave Jpn food (will be making Creme Stew sooon) and it was a nice reprieve from all the fast paced drama and shows. I enjoyed all the kimono and sites of Kyoto too.

Beautiful shot, nice cast, and I enjoyed it. I think both Mori Nana and Deguchi Natsuki did well. Hashimoto Ai stole the show as a very interesting, the current ‘top’ Geisha.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!