Posts by bokeh

And China action for the last 5 years have shown they care less and less about soft power. They don’t even pretend to act nice like they did under Deng. They have been unapologetic aggressive. A country like China if they want to increase their soft power there so many ways to do them.

It's still free money especially for major companies like Tencent, Youku and iQIYI, especially when it comes to promoting their own subscription products. Subbers don't cost a lot, and the product is already there. Whether it's a large or small production, the product is a 100% return on investment with the added cherry on top of projecting soft-power.

You brought up a good point. I start seeing so many of these Chinese drama with Eng subs flooding on YouTube since early 2020. I really wonder what’s the point? But most of these are also low quality web drama anyway. I wonder if they earn much money posting on YouTube and why is it allow when YouTube is blocked in China?

It would be nice if someone has answer for that.

Three good reasons, it grows soft-power internationally (international viewership), gives international Chinese easy access to content, and it makes money.

Anyone can use a VPN, no one is getting hauled off to prison camp for clicking a button and watching YouTube. It's like Jaywalking in NYC, no consequences unless there's a power-tripping police officer around.

Putting aside political implications, smaller fully industrialized countries have nothing else but to export themselves.

SKorea literally made it their national mission to export culture.

Japanese foreign power projection went from hard to soft after the war. You can't scroll thru a Japanese related TikTok video without people commenting how cool and cute it is.

China has a large developing consumer base, they're not as desperate to export culture. Their entertainment industry has been playing catch-up just alongside other industries for the last few decades. To put it in perspective, their music industry value went from ranked 19th in the world to 7th in a matter of five or six years. Even if you look a mainland Chinese drama or movie from ten years ago, it's literally night and day compared to today's offerings in terms of quality. Taiwan and Hong Kong regions are now irrelevant in the entertainment field. It wasn't long ago when Chinese entertainment was dominated by Hong Kong and Taiwan - appealing mostly to a large Chinese diaspora and maybe South East Asian nations like Vietnam.

Vietnam entertainment is niche, small, and even more underdeveloped than China's, so that's self-explanatory.

haven't seen any photos

and also there is some info that they will debut boy group and girl group from this Chinese survival, and both will have 5 members...

so it's possible that they brought Cheng Chen for some hype and don't really have plans for her,

also she is '04 liner so she probably would fit more into kpop group because cpop groups are usually older

I saw this with Jin Zihan and Cheng Chen a while ago. So it might be for either of these shows.

FxcxIpt.gif

Anyways, even if she's on this 999 show, I don' think it would be due to her age. She's been on TV shows before she was a pre-teen.