Posts by FoReveries

One of the things I love the most with comebacks is the abundance of content that you're flooded with, performances, special show appearances, behind-the-scenes videos, interviews and more - up to the point that it's hard to keep track of it all.

This Red Velvet comeback isn't anything different, so I made a compilation :-) in case people were curious and wanted to browse and check up on stuff they've missed.

Let's start with the Live Countdown to the comeback:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Killing Voice and Lee Mujin Service: a blissful dive into a cloud of songs

Followed up by their awe inspiring, truly divine Killing Voice attendance (finally!) as a full group, a full 33 minute experience:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Twenty songs, a mix of title tracks and b-sides makes this not only interesting for Reveluv but also for other K-pop fans. This is a great introduction in the best possible way to Red Velvet's discography: the harmony, the adlibs, the energy and excitement. It's banger after banger, the RV girls made even songs like Zimzalabim sound infectious repeatables.

I could've easily listened to several hours of this. But for those who wanted more, there's an extra treat in Wendy's visit to Lee Mujin's Service show. Her interpretation of Chill Kill and her astonishing cover of Whitney Houston's I Have Nothing already make it a must-watch:

I like some reaction videos because the reactors can add additional viewpoints and depths due to their expertise. For those interested, check the one in the quote below

Those weren't the only special show appearances, there's also a hilarious show where Joy and Billlie's Tsuki meet ^^

Music shows: performances, interviews and encore

And of course, let's not forget the music show attendances and performances they've done so far. I love the variety in styling and outfits. While Wendy has me completely floored once again with her glow and glamour in the performances, I noticed that the other girls really shine as well and have their moments where they rule the screen.

Production diaries

What I also appreciate are the many behind-the-scenes production diaries that have been released, especially the RV recording videos which are always great to watch

The other production diaries, check below :-)

There were also some radio shows they attended but unfortunately, they weren't subbed (yet) so I haven't included them here.

I did find some other recent content, which you can check out below

ReveluvTaglist

Alright, that's it!

While I made this compilation post and rewatched some it again, I found myself realising that Red Velvet's vocal performances made me appreciate many of their songs to a higher level than I'd expected, better than the recorded versions. It's not just that they sound better: their harmonies, adlibs, their energy and sheer joy that they radiate - they really love performing and singing on stage, and they show it, they shine with it.

I'd have expected that choreo and MV add extra richness and flavor to the song. But no, with Red Velvet it's their vocal performances. I could easily watch hours long shows of them doing that.

I just don't like the kind of Music they released. And I do not like their style either. But I respect them.

They had a typical style of music that I'd like to call US-inspired 'uber swag' that you either like or leave it.

But Teddy in his peak days also gave 2NE1 other sorts of songs, with a different sound and vibe to it, like for example these that you might enjoy

Encountered this thread via another one.

... well, maybe at least you liked this setting for Feel My Rhythm :whatb:

I hope so ;( it was very unique, 4 gens in 1 group where it didn't look as 'mom with her daughters' and where none looked out of place.

I like these unique projects SM did (multi-group collab, SM station, classical versions of their groups' songs etc), and I loved the behind-the-scenes videos and fun interactions between the members.

But hopefully it'll also be with different members from all those groups if they do it again, and not only these 7.

Well, there was this thread:

OP

But looking at this thread and OP's comments in it, yeah, OP was most likely troll-baiting, since this thread was posted in the weekend, it was probably a boring Sunday so it was trolling out of boredom :wellr:

As for the question, if it's about popularity in SK, then it was Red Velvet according to Gallup: both peaked at 6th rank in Gallup, but Red Velvet with 7.8% and Aespa with 6.5%.

I think it was 2NE1, PSY, Bigbang and basically the whole YG 2nd gen era reputation that helped YG's 3rd gen groups like BP, Winner and iKON with their debuts: for a couple of years, YG felt almost untouchable when it came to digital charting, from their groups to their solo artists.

However, with the fading glory of YGE and over-reliance on just 1 group, BP, I'm not so sure that's still the case for YG's 4th gen groups.

I don't think it's right to automatically blanket judge all critical and negative comments as all K-pop stans being biased or prejudiced.

Sometimes people simply like or dislike a song or MV, nothing more to it.

However, since K-pop fans are humans too, all the usual human psychological and emotional mechanics work in K-pop situations too:

If people like a certain style or previous groups of the debuting group's company, they will look more positively and favorably towards the debut of that new group (or negatively, when they dislike the company or sibling groups of the debuting group). What I'd call 'the Apple effect'.

And then there's expectation management and 1st impression vs follow-up impressions: sometimes a song sounds disappointing or just ok at the first listen - only to really start to shine when seen/heard at performances or after a few listens.

Hmm. This feels more like assassination posting: some netizens saw an opening or opportunity to bring an idol (that they dislike, or from a group they dislike or that competes with their bias?) down, and they took it by fake news/selective taken-out-of-context 'evidence'.

Then other netizens and K-pop stans ran it and jumped on the bandwagon, for fun or drama or because they like a good, popcorn-worthy witch hunt.

People are often so extra :/

As soon as some people don't dislike a song, they're said to be 'hating', as soon as 1-2 of a fandom are being critical or negative, it's suddenly 'the whole [fandom] is hating on this/that', as soon as some negative tweets on twitter pass by, it's suddenly representative for entire fandoms or the whole K-pop scene.

Huh, ok. It's his choice and he's entitled to it, it wouldn't be my choice. If he was in his '20s or '30s I would've found it more agreeable, but he's already in his '50s, it just makes me think 'do you really still want or need to do stuff like this?'

But I give him that, he is courageous, those were daring choices.

Huh, weird :whatb: Not that they're bad, but of the Big 4, I would've rated HYBE's visuals last of the 4. I guess it shows how personal bias and preferences leads to different likings when it comes to beauty and looks.

Always makes me wonder how much whether you like a group or person (or dislike for that matter) influences how you view their looks more positively (or negatively), also not just in K-pop.

Unexpected, but nice! :claps:

what a beautiful encore. these girls never fail to amaze me. <3 pure talent.

i was shocked to find out it's their first encore since queendom. i totally forgot fmr promo was limited bc the girls had covid.

True! I'm happy for them when they get a music show win, but personally I like it because then they'll do an encore.

Whether it's them appearing on Killing Voice or their encores or otherwise, I live for their vocal performances, they're always so fun and enjoyable to watch. And their adlibs and harmonizations are just heavenly :send-love-bunny:

Hmm, what should be considered a hit or not... let's just say that CL's early solo projects underperformed considering the top tier popularity status she was enjoying in those days and compared with the solo projects of her male colleagues at YGE.

True, there are a lot of factors that play a role into someone's success. But based on the results while she was under YG and outside of YG and comparing it with her colleagues, I myself think that her fans were overrating her songwriting/producing/lyricist talents and that in those areas she wasn't on the same level as a number of her YG male colleagues, who had more tangible results with their songwriting activities.

As for YG, the guy who groomed his current wife since she was 13 years (and he 23 years) old and he became obsessed with her to the point of him sabotaging her career, who repeatedly called his own group 2NE1's members ugly, and confessed he was super jealous of SNSD and that he wanted a really pretty girl group for his next girl group... well, somehow I don't think he was the ultrarational type who kept his misogynistic tendencies away from how he treated his female artists vs his male artists.

Or if we want to phrase it more gently, that he had different goals and strengths he sought for his girl groups vs the goals and strengths he was looking for in his boy groups.

The money thing puzzles me: are boy groups not more profitable as a rule? If those talented producers make their own boy groups, doesn't it stand to reason that they'll make more profit from them than from girl groups?