Posts by Zenning

Here's a nice predebut cover from 2012 by Wendy, that I doubt many have seen before:

Wendy's part:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Full cover (Wendy + her friend):

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I remember back at the beginning of 2nd gen, people loved to say SM was just pretty faces.

NOW WHAT? ALL THESE LEGENDARY SINGERS ALL FROM SM :BAS-flattered:

I remember that! ^^ Even as late in 2nd gen era as 2011-2012, there were huge flocks of antis, other-group stans and bandwagoners that actually kept claiming that SM groups were nothing but talentless visuals. And many of them actually, really believed it! :wow:

Even with their proven talents for everyone to see and the many outstanding performances of DBSK, SNSD, Super Junior and other SM groups around they kept saying that, it was mind blowing.

Only when K-pop vocal analyses become more and more widespread and wellknown, showing how wilfully ignorant and utter fools all those haters and their bandwagoners were, did this fake news hater narrative start to slowly die out.

I don't know about the regular performances, but I do love Music Core's encore stages

Abundant enough, great quality live singing shown there :D:eyebrowsr:

lol I can't wait until this song starts blowing up. Ppl be judging so early nowadays with a songs performance. I'm extra confused at comments saying Twice are flopping and Jyp screwed up again since the song is actually doing pretty good on the charts.

That's because everyone only looks at Melon chart. Which is weird, because the Melon chart only counts for 30-35% for all digitals (and Genie for 25%) and that percentage keeps decreasing over time.

It'd be far better if people check up on Instiz iChart which collects all the major digital platforms into 1 chart.

Unfortunately, Instiz has been acting up the past few days, connection and software issues from what it looks like.

Their debut song and concept didn't do justice to the members' huge potential.

Which is a shame because the stuff that was shown before their debut was actually pretty good and promising (and better than their debut song)

Also, Cube stylists haven't been going all in as I've seen being done with several other new groups (i.e. Aespa).

A good example is Chowon, she can look absolutely stunning, she has a unique look and aura that when highlighted immediately dominates the stage. However, her debut styling wasn't able to breach that potential.

When they come back after Irene's scandal and the song is a success it might show the weakness of the Korean cancel crowd and GIDLE can more easily make a comeback as well post-Soojin controversy. They just need to come out with a resolution ahead of cb, either it was a "misunderstanding" and all parties resolved their issues or Soojin out. RV/Irene is leading the way

What fans should start to worry about, more than Soojin, is Yuki's success in China.

Chinese K-pop idols who start to gain success in China, have a habit of leaving their K-pop group behind and continue on their own in China.

Latest example of this is Cosmic Girls, who lost their Chinese members who were all having success in China with Rocket Punch and with a solo OST.

I don't like all Red Velvet's songs equally much, but I love how they always make it interesting to listen to them, their title tracks as well as their b-sides.

Few groups are able to make it as entertaining and varied to listen to on the level that Red Velvet manages to do :lover3:

With MMM and Gfriend gone, the real debate is who is fourth and fifth overall. Twice is fighting valiantly to stave off the onslaught of 4th gen GGs, Idle, Itzy, Aespa, StayC. And then the darkhorse is Red Velvet. With anticipation at a fever pitch among Reveluves and maybe even the GP, what happens if their Aug comeback blows up big with like 500k album sales and #1 on Melon?

Agreed.

Seeing how Wendy easily got 175k album sales for her debut and how Joy has been doing great on the digital charts with her songs (at one time the past week, a few days after debut, she had 4 songs in the Top 20 of Instiz iChart :whatk: ), I'm very curious to see how things will go when Red Velvet have their full group comeback.

Hopefully SM will be smart in their song choice and not come up with a 'Really, Really Psycho' type of song for the girls... :sweatr1::pepe-tea:

Checking all those debuts altogether, I just gotta say, Cube girl groups have great sass and attitude, I love that typical mixture of talent and assertiveness that's so Cube.

And I agree with what some said, Pepe is a great song and MV, it deserved far more success and popularity than it got back then. With some slight, minute changes it could have easily been released this year and been a banger, it doesn't feel outdated at all.

I can see how the first 3 groups debuted under the same CEO, while Lightsum debuted under a new CEO: the first 3 groups somehow have that same vibe, while Lightsum (so far) went a little differently with their debut.

People are so binary, while reality is fluid. Not black and white, but multi-color.

Aespa will have similarities with various groups, from a BP (4 members, fashion girl crush) to K/DA (virtual characters, gaming themes, crossmedia) to other SM groups (vocals, harmonisation, certain looks & styles, in-built experimentalism and versatility, variety presence/talent), and Aespa will have differences from all those groups where they distinguish themselves from them.

Some people will focus (only) on the similarities, while ignoring the differences.

Other people will focus (only) on the differences, while ignoring the similarities.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter and it's too trivial to fuss about it or to argue with selective tunnelvision people. Because Aespa will have its own identity, that will include both the similarities with and differences from other groups :wellr:

Now that Cube has launched their newest girl group, we can compare how they've been doing across the generations.

These are the Cube girl groups and their songs that have debuted the past 10-15 years:

4Minute - Hot Issue (2009)

CLC - Pepe (2015)

(G)I-dle - Latata (2018)

Lightsum - Vanilla (2021)

So, which song and MV did you like best? :-)

This is weird. I'd expected their debut MV to be more in the style of their debut trailer, which was spectacular and had sort of a magical and elegant vibe. I also'd have loved if the sound of the debut trailer had been the teaser for the sound of their debut song.

A shame, I think it would've been great and perfect for their debut.

I get the feeling that this cutesy style and song doesn't exactly showcase the potential of the members. Some of the members are like a fish in the water with this style (or maybe any style regardless), while other members adopting this style feel forced doing so.

The choreo also had some parts that felt jarring (which can be seen in the showcase performance).

Maybe it's the pressure of debuting, that they still have to get used to.

I loved hearing Chowon's vocals, although her full skills weren't showcased with this song like happened with former vocal performances and other songs she did. For that matter, the members have shown before the huge potential and talent they have, which is less visible and more cloaked with this song. Hopefully they'll get enough chance to show them off in the near future.

I wish them well and success with their debut :-)

Hmm. This is a tough one. How do you explain something to people who're so rigid and set in their ways, that they'll only believe in 1 possible explanation, namely that people are brainwashing themselves into liking something that they shouldn't have? :/

Aah well... let's try, in baby steps.

1. OP's wrong, completely, right from the start: it's not just Big 3 groups, at the least it's Big 4 groups, but even more, it extends to all kinda songs, regardless the company.

2. Asking other posters to give the same prejudiced conclusion that you already gave in the OP ('it's mandatory to give it many many listens until you like it') is basically asking others to join a circle j*rk :wellr:

3. It's a natural fact of life that there'll be things that you like right from the start, and things that you only like after having experienced it multiple times over time or in other settings, or that you might not like even then. This applies to all kinda things in life.

4. Same for music, music genres and songs. Some you'll like immediately, some you'll only start to like after having listened to it several times. Some you'll never like.

5. Depending on the group and the group's and the song's popularity, K-pop fans might either never give a song a listen, only give it a listen once, or give it a listen several times (nobody got time to listen to every single K-pop album and song that gets released, so choices are made).

6. If a group is popular or the song is popular, chances are higher that people will give the song a listen at least once, and if it's from their bias even several times.

7. Groups of the Big 4 have a lot more fans that stan them. So the chances are higher that fans will give their songs a listen at least once or more.

8. However, fans of a group that isn't from the Big 4 will give their bias group's songs also 1 or more listens.

9. Songs that get multiple listens - due to their popularity, their group's popularity or bc it's someone's bias group - have a higher chance that listeners who didn't like it at first, will start to appreciate it after a few listens (see point 3).

10. The fact that it happens sometimes that people start to like a song after a few times listening to it, doesn't mean they'll always start to like a song after a few times listening to it (see point 3 again).

Ok, that rounds it up nicely. Good luck with it :eyebrowsr:  :danceb:

On youtube chart(without ads) they debut with 24m views and second week with 11m views and on third week didn't even chart..only thing Next level did better that BM is increasing no of ads.

even with more monthly listeners BM did better since NL still at 15m streams.

About 2m likes BM crossed it within 13 days

so nope it didn't do better on youtube and spotify that their previous release

? Not sure if you're an Aespa hater or not, but 2M likes is a lot better than most other 3th/4th gen groups do for their MV's, even their other videos on youtube often end up in the top views of those shows/channels.

As for Spotify, their monthly listeners number is increasing so yes, that's a sign of growth especially since it might peak in the 3.5-4M range before this cycle has run its course. Which beats most of the 4th gen as well as the 3rd gen in monthly listeners, and this with only 3 songs :wellr:

In any case, once again this starts to derail. Let's stick on topic, if you want to discuss this kinda stuff, let's not do this in a thread that's about Knowing Bros and Aespa's trending from it.