Posts by willrubert

Lisa's two tracks are the first released by BP, solo or group, that I've ever not wanted to listen to a second time. I think I'm more of a vocals person and it ended up going too rap-heavy for me.
    HYLT, KTL, and Pretty Savage had a lot of strong vocal parts to balance out the rap. Also good music breaks. Formula-wise Lisa's releases are different from usual.

If the song was better, she would have been rising on melon rather than dropping like a rock.

I'm saying this as a big BP (as well as Lisa) fan. She's talented and the videos were great, but the songs just aint it.

Fake Love has more worldwide certifications than D4 and has more Spotify streams. Fake Love also charted in 25 countries besides Korea. D4 charted in 11.

That is true, but many countries have no official certifications (and YG never usually pays to have the audits to receive certifications in the countries where that needs to happen). D4 has the most youtube views of any kpop song besides Gangnam Style, currently with 0 danger of being passed by any other song, regardless of year. Youtube is the biggest platform in the world for music, which says a lot about the effect of that song worldwide.

It's not exactly black and white.

And people still think a high peak is more important. If anything 1st hour ULs mostly showcase how big the fandom is, that's really all.

There's a difference from a few hours or a few days of a high peak vs a month or more of a high peak and then falling on the faster side. Many fans tend to glorify the songs that can sit at the bottom half of melon for an extremely long time, but most of the time that doesn't result in all that much relevance either.

1st hour ULs could be fandom if it's a big fandom, but if the ULs are high enough (like IU numbers), it's often more anticipation from the public. What you've said could also be said for the artists that stay on melon forever. It could be said that it's because of dedicated fandoms (like that guy that sang the Hero song, forget his name (Lim something?), as well as BTS, Wanna One, etc).

There needs to be a good mix of both ideally. Initial high peak and longevity can both be the cause of a big fandom potentially.

So this will probably the first year when BTS won't be "growing" in GAON digital points since 2018 (when it was introduced). Kind of disappointed but I know they are gonna come back with a bang next year so yeah no problem.

It is very interesting to see kpop girl groups find it very difficult to get even 1b points in a year. Can you tell me who and when have they done so? I only remember Blackpink & OMG in 2020 and Momoland, Blackpink & Twice in 2018.

BP did it in 2018, 2019, and 2020. The only girl group to do that. I think a couple other girl groups may have hit 1b in a year, but I'm unsure of who.

BP would have 1b this year too if they released even one digital single, but they'll probably end the year with around 900m if they don't release anything.

Wow. Interesting

I guess including B-sides almost every BP track has made at least 1m ULs.

I didn't realize such a small amount of Twice's releases reach 1M ULs. Considering they have so many b-sides.

Did Stereotype even get into the top 20 on Melon Daily chart? Or the old Melon 24Hits chart? ASAP peaked near or in the top 10 on Melon Daily and 24Hits charts.

If Stereotype doesnt improve, BEP have only themselves to blame. They made it the title song when they had a MUCH BETTER SONG, their b side Slow Down, ready to go. I'm actually quite peeved i might even do a rant thread about it. :cursing:

I remember it got up to like #7 or #8 in the daily chart, and I think it spent a few weeks there but I can't recall if the second part is true or just my memory.

Older songs that were viral/fads are a bit disadvantaged as they're probably not picking up many UL's now and Melon had more subscribers in 2019/2020 than 2015/16. You can also gauge this from how much quicker big songs pick up likes versus before.

Melon had twice as much market share and usage in 2015/2016 than now, so the older songs actually have a bit of an advantage. It was much easier to get higher ULs and streams back when more people used Melon. The reasons subscriptions are higher now is due to not really needing a subscription back then. The free plan was more than enough for many users as far as streaming was concerned.

You can see this by looking at other streaming platforms (like Genie). Songs from 2015/16 have much much lower streams and ULs on Genie than songs released from 2017-2020 (due to Genei's increase in market share and usage). It's even more obvious if you look at Melon and Genie both for a song. An older song will have a vast majority of their streams from Melon, and a newer songs will usually still have more streams on Melon, but the amount of streams on Genie won't generally be that much less.

If you lower the key 2-3 semitones, most Twice songs don't require much skill to sing. It's usually just the key (as well as them struggling in that key) that makes it seem more difficult. I Can't Stop Me is one of their few actually somewhat difficult songs, so if you wanna sing Twice, just pick a different song and lower the key and it shouldn't be hard.

Your other suggestions seem fine. I like the user that suggested "It Hurts" by 2NE1. It's a challenging song, but in a doable key (since none of the 2NE1 members, except Dara, have that high kpop voice). Being slower, it's also easier to remember the words.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Blackpink's digital consistency is no joke. They have been doing this for both old and new songs, over few years. It is not frontloaded or just recent releases only.

#1 girl group things

1 person downloading the same song like 10 times isn't exactly manipulation since they are still spending the money legitimately, but it is strictly for charting purposes and not because that fan actually needs or wants 10 downloads. BTS' charting is mostly due to sky high downloads. It makes them seem more popular and their songs more successful than they *already* are. It's not manipulation, since they are legitimate sales, but manipulation-adjacent I'd say considering the point is to increase their charting. I believe Hybe encourages it by releasing so many remixes, instrumentals, and such.

Good for the fans being able to do that.