Posts by patrik-k

I would say Kpop culture has been for the most part very similar with fanwars still happening. Some people just consume kpop differently nowadays due to social media and all that. I would also say that idols nowadays don't really interact with each other openly and on TV as much as they did back then, let alone opposite gender interaction. Like 'We Got Married' with idols these days would NOT work at all, although some of the idols on those shows did get harassed from people. But shows like this wouldn't even be aired nowadays lol

yeah, the companies don't have the need to put their Idols on TV shows today because they can just do their own little short shows on social media to internact with their fans and promote the members.

Honestly Twice was the group that really mainstreamed and normalized consistently having 2-3 comebacks a year because of their high album sales.

1-2 comebacks was pretty normal back then.

I don't think it's any big difference compared to some 2nd generation groups like 2NE1 and T-ara, even if they maybe had that output only for the first three years or so.

I mean they had three number one singles and and their best singles sold at the same levels clsoe to Girls Generation, so hardly a "failure". But as other have said, the competion during the years around 2010-2012 was brutal for the girlgroups. Girls' Generation, 2NE1, T-ara, Kara, Wonder Girls just to name a few that fought in the top. JYP probably understood it would be very hard to do much more with Miss A then they did.

Breathe is such a bop! Most people just talk about Bad Girl Good Girl but I feel like Breathe is simply a masterpiece!

Question: How was Kpop and its culture like back in 2010? I only got into kpop shortly after but when i watch some of my favorite groups' old variety shows I do regret i didn't get into kpop sooner

Well to be honest I have never been that deep to kpop besided the music intself and never was in to variety shows. I did force myself to watch a bit of a show with 2NE1 at some point, but other that just a few clips here and there. I was not active in forums like this one much at all during the 2nd generation, mostly just reading stuff on sites like allkpop and watching MV on youtube. So it's few groups that I get to know the personalities of the group members well, so that is also something I can regret. I understand from forums like this that hardcore fans spend much more time on show like that to follow their favorites.

But at the time I got in to kpop around 2010-2011 kpop still felt a bit new and fresh, but that feeling was of cource also because it was new for me. But I can't remember it was such fights all the time over which group was the best or most successful, but maybe it was the same as today but I did not just see it back then.

Of cource depends on the defenion of "longetivity"

But not many groups stays among the 1-3 top groups for more than maybe 4-5 years. Kpop have a lot of young fans that don't stay for many years before moving away to something else when they get older and new young fans prefer younger groups.

I'm more suprised some people move so fast. I mean, they end one relationship, meet a new guy/girl and just withing less a year live together with the new one. Or marrige and kids after just maybe 2-3 years. I would feel I would like to be together and enjoy the time together a bit longer before getting stuck with kids and more or less end all free time you have.

I don't think these three group will do much more than go as they do. Twice is at the last leg of their their run and will just go on as they do to the end in a slower tempo and preper to their disbaning. I

ITZY? not a new group either, hard to see them suddenly get more popular, maybe if they suddenly have a big hit, but hard to see that happen.

NMIXX? A bit similar to ITZY, they probably need a big hit to really get a surge in popularity, so a bit of luck is needed.

As I say, these group probably will just go on as they do today. The biggest chance is proably a group coming after a disbanding of Twice.

I must pick my own favorite, T-ara. Their crash from the top is just so sad. Overall "scandals", that for the most time is just minor issues, are made to such a big problems in korea/kpop.

The ending of 2NE1 was not really a downfall, but the last years was a bit sad ending. Too be honest, not many of my favorite groups have had any happy endings, Crayon Pop also was a bit sad ending.

Being successful isn't always the result of good management

Bare bones promotions, excessive hiatuses, blatantly unprofessional behavior that's lead to them being publicly called out by editors, did nothing for Lisa's solo (which she was openly unhappy with), restricting solo activities and appearances.

YG is pretty much the definition of bare minimum, hence why most of their artists have left them

YG have all the right to restrict solo activities if the don't believe if it's for the groups best and the companies best. Sadly they did not do that with 2NE1 and CL, she go to much free hand for her solos and that doomed the group. Solos should be for when a group is disbanded, not during a groups active lifespan.

And nobody is perfect, of cource companies can make mistakes and could have done things better, but that does not mean they mistreat the group and it's members.

that was only in their debut year they already paid their dues so to speak a while back after that blackpink made their own brand they became YG's main bread winner and it's obvious that were limited in terms of releasing more music/ content in general based on how much were are getting after they are no longer under Yg for their solo activities.

It does not matter. If they have sign a contract for seven years, they have sign a contract for seven years and the company have all right do use them as they see benefiting the company the most. Don't like it? Don't sign a fucking seven years contract and go solo from the start. Ah... yes..... the girls are nobodies before they debuted so they would not have a chance.

I don't believe in holding any sort of loyalty over anybody's head to skirt issues

Of course Blackpink benefitted from debuting under YG. YG also severely mismanaged them and it's not like they debuted them out of the kindness of their hearts without benefitting 10x as much. It's work. Blackpink did their job, YG slacked

Having to explain this to someone with a 2ne1 badge is wild

Mismanageed them how? They did them super popular as a group and indivuduals, how on earth is that to mismanagement them? It's just crazy. Yes, the gave them shitty songs at the end and to few singles, that I can agree on, but overall, they still made them superstars.

Fans doing what fans always do, hate companies and think the Idols are some mistreated angels.

Rember, no one of them be anything at all if the company created the group, invested a lot of money in the group and it's members and the indivudual members should be thankful that they where one of the lucky few that was selected to be a member of the group.

I'm more courious if the contract with YG for "group activities" say anything about what they must do for the group or if it's just "all members must feel it the right thing to do, then maybe will do a single together".