Posts by bollino

Just curious, for best vocal performance apparently it's about the best song composition and not the best live performance?

Vocal Performance is a confusing name for the award.

Technically is a genre awards, so evaluate a specific song performance on charts like SOTY but for a specific genre.

In Vocal Performance are usually nominated ballad/pop ballad but there may also be generic vocal driven songs/groups nominated.

For best composition exist professional awards which nominations aren't known and isn't voted by the public. And the award is given to the composer not to the artist.

Same for Dance Performance it isn't given to the best choreography but to the best performing dance/idol song on charts. For best choreography there is a professional award given to the choreogeapher.

I did a small collection of data from Gaon, Spotify and Youtube to determine the biggest one.

Gaon

1. Don't Call Me (142M)

2. Hot Sauce (103M)

3. Rock with You (83M)

4. Sticker (67M)

5. Hello Future (59M)

6. Favorite (57M)

7. Ready To Love (40M)

8. Beautiful Beautiful (35M)

9. Dive Into You (28M)

10. After Midnight (27M)

Spotify

1. Fever (106M)

2. Lovesong (99M)

3. Drunk-Dazed (86M)

4. Anti-Romantic (84M)

5. Loser=Lover (65M)

6. Thunderous (63M)

7. Hot Sauce (58M)

8. Magic (34M)

9. Hello Future (33M)

10. Fireworks (33M)

Youtube

1. Thunderous (146M)

2. Hot Sauce (146M)

3. Don't Fight The Feeling (95M)

4. Hello Future (76M)

5. Sticker (72M)

6. Drunk-Dazed (62M)

7. Fever (60M)

8. Don't Call Me (59M)

9. Lovesong (57M)

10. Rock with You (52M)

I weighted this three differently: 50% Korean (Gaon) and 50% International (40% Spotify + 10% YouTube).

YouTube views are counted less since they are the most easily manipulated with Ads.

For Gaon if it isnt ranked i give 0 as score.

The system is the same as music show, the highest in each category get full points (500,400,100) then the other in percentage.

The Final Total

1. NCT Dream - Hot Sauce 684 (365 + 219 + 100)

2. Shinee - Don't Call Me 657 (500 + 117 + 40)

3. TTX - Lovesong 464 (51 + 374 + 39)

4. ENHYPEN - Fever 441 (0 + 400 + 41)

5. SEVENTEEN - Rock with You 419 (293 + 91 + 35)

6. Stray Kids - Thunderous 390 (54 + 236 + 100)

7. NCT Dream - Hello Future 389 (210 + 127 + 52)

8. ENHYPEN - Drunk-Dazed 387 (20 + 325 + 42)

9. NCT 127 - Sticker 362 (238 + 75 + 49)

10. TXT - Loser=Lover 317 (41 + 244 + 32)

Congrats to SKZ for selling more than double their last album and being the best JYP seller. But it's funny that before them it was J.Y.Park itself, (especially seeing how many hate him). 🤣

Post produce being too big is a factor but not the only.

Post IOI:

Pristin had 10 but they were the one that were doing good because 7 of them did well in produce with 4 reaching final and 2 debuting. Plus 1 of three not in produce did Girl Spirit. So people knew 8 of them plus they promoted pre debut with 8 members and even released "We" so fans already know the group. They failed because Pledis ditched them for still unknown reasons.

Weki meki has 8 with 4 on produce. The problem is that only Yoojung and Doyeon were known, many didn't remember Elly and Sei from produce and the other four were completely unknown. Nor they promoted much predebut with the full group. Once they debut all the attention was on the 2 from ioi and the main vocal. So here yes was a factor especially since this three are still the most promoted.

Dia is a mess, they were 7 then one was replaced, then 2 got added became 9, the other left. They were always doomed being in MBK. More than the number it the continuous line up change and the poor promotion.

WJSN were already debut and from a know company and already a big group with 12 then 13 and they are doing ok.

Gugudan were 9 and were too many. People didn't like the concept, the name, their debut being during ioi promotion. Most only wanted Semina as they had 2 amazing vocalist and a good dancer and rapper, but when the subunit was created people only cared about Sejeong as she already debuted solo. If they were maybe 5 with Hana and mimi as visual they would done better. But maybe Jellyfish would have still ditched them like Pledis with Pristin.

Chungha and Somi are doing well as solo like every member when promote alone is liked and known.

Post Wanna One:

Nuest the most successful of all but they were already debut and known.

CIX and AB6IX both from small companies and hype faded pretty fast because of long hiatus and Youngmin DUI scandal. Sad thing is that they sell less each comeback, so also the fandom in shrinking.

But i think Wanna one problem is too many solo too soon. Only Daniel is still popular both in show and with music. All are selling less with each album, with poor promotion and the attention completely faded. At least Ong and Jihoon are also actors. But no one seem to remember Jaehwan, Jisung and Sungwoon.

Post X1 is just sad. Only Victon and Cravity are doing well but aside the fandom they are not that known or talked. Drippin is already selling less each comeback. BAE173 is on hiatus and struggle to reach 20k album. Wooseok, Woodz hype have faded and Eunsang still don't have a group and as a solo is not doing well. WEI last album sold 80k but nobody seemed to talk about them after their debut. Same for Mirae but they sold only 50k.

Are you sure about Shoo? I always thought that she was ethnically Korean, but born and raised in Japan. And according to this Wikipedia article, her mother and her father are ethnic Koreans.

In other website like kpop wiki and kpop profile it says her mother is Japanese, so I dont know. In both case my argument was that before twice it was rare to have idol from japan, so it is still valid.

First of all, Kpop ain't Asian pop nor east Asian pop. It is Korean pop. They obviously chose the biggest music industry that are also closer to them both geographically and culturally so China and Japan.

If we look back before twice, the only two relevant japanese idol were SES' Shoo and MIB's Kangnam and both were half Korean. Then Twice J line happened and showed how useful could be adding japanese in the group. Only then we saw so many japanese debut in kpop

With thai its strange because there are a few. And the most famous, Nikkun and Lisa, are mostly promoted in China. But in reality during 2nd gen there were more thai than Japanese (Nikkun, Mintt, Natthew) so its not common but its not something new.

With other SEA idols there are like 1 each. Kriesha for Philippines, Isaac from Malaysia, Dita from Indonesia and Hanbin for Vietnam. All of debuted recently and none of them showed how profitable their country's is. So it might take a bit before it common for them to debut.

And again kpop is Korean pop so Korean companies can choose whoever they want. They could only debut Koreans if they wanted and we can't judge them if chose "Korean passing". Because kpop is not Asian pop and it doesn't exist to be Asian representation in the western music industry.

Sorry for the long post.

Actually you chose a terrible example.

Stray Kids never charted when Realtime was a thing, never charted when Melon 24 Hits was a thing and with this system they were able to chart for the first time.

Shouldn't you be using BGs that used to do well in other reforms and didn't do well in that one to fit your example better?

No SKZ its the perfect example they only chart because the reform help fandom streaming instead of showing what songs are popular.

At the team it isn't helping either mid tier group having hits because they fell out the chart too quickly. And so the fact that they chart is not a real improvement.

Skz doing fine. I’m not a fan but I think they would agree with me and view them the same way I view txt and their charting. I would never swap TXTs style to better charting.

Skz seem to have found their style and if it’s not for the GP then that’s not their fault. I think they are happy with the song appeared on the chart, why are you trying to belittle other fandoms happiness?

:pepenomad:

I repeat my they was generic and I only used SKZ TBZ and TXT as example because they are the first boygroups that comebacks after the reform

you do know that the 24 hits charts only released last year and the main realtime chart (which is even easier to chart than top 100 chart) was the main chart before... charts existed and worked even before 24 hits even came to play so are all the achievements pre 24 hits (last year) are now false achievements according to your logic?

And infact they changed it to represent more realistically what people were listening because real-time chart was too manipulated by fandom streaming, zombie hours ect.

Many groups stopped charting but the ones that continued to chart well were the deserving ones.

What i mean is that you all say that they at least have charted. But none of these song would in 24 hits, its like a "false" achievement they only chart the day the song is realised thanks to fandom streaming.

Charting in top 100 dont have a real meaning like it was with 24 hits.

So SKZ are out of the charts after only one day.

this being is their result with Kingdom hype which they won, is really sad.

TBZ and TXT at least were charting for more than a week, falling off at night when it switched to 24 hits.

This show how stupid this new chart is. And unexpectedly Lim Young Woong is the one that benefits the most while boygroup are still doing bad.

I was looking the top 100 and I was wondering how are they already off the chart. They were charting multiple song with the title in top30 and now all of them are gone.

Do this new system help that much fandom streaming?

if I counted well they showed 29 girls from C group so only 4 of the remain. Two of them are Su Ruiqi and Xu Ziyin.

For j group 19 and K group only 12 (yujin not included)

Because bgs need to do catchy songs or enjoyable to listen without the performance. Think about the hit from bgs they are either ballad or a songs with a catchy chorus and point dance.

For example BTS biggest songs are Spring Day, Boy with luv, Dynamite while a song like ON did good but didn't last long. Same for big bang their biggest hits are bang bang bang, fantastic baby, haru haru, loser.

For Winner Sentimental and Really Really.

Also for smaller groups, Btob their ballads, Pentagon Shine, Suju Sorry Sorry, 2pm Again Again, Heartbeat and Hand Up etc