Posts by sleeplessnights

Oh I remembered the anime where otakus raged about the "implied non-virginity" of the main female character because she had a past partner: Kannagi

Fans throwing tantrums at 2ch and destroyed their merch and manga and cancel membership and pre-orders. The author got sick that forced her to go on a hiatus coincidentally around this time, so some speculated that she got threats by these particular fans. The manga and anime did well despite these tantrums, so remember, not all fandom are represented by these morons that argue on internet. They are just super loud.

There're various anime fans, long shounen anime series fans maybe are the most toxic ones?

I guess some hardcore fujoshi are also kinda like different breed. Maybe they similar with kpop shippers.

They always fight about who pairs with who, which one is seme and uke, etc.

Fujoshi do discuss a lot about these frivolous things. When I was still going to anime forums hardcore (and modded one as well), some random fujoshis would argue against each other, but it was still civil in comparison to shonen shippers or people discussing power level and shit. They were getting out of the woods so to speak. Probably they were very active in their own community sites which I didn't visit. I imagine it is similar level of toxicity.

Yes, there are lot of toxicity in anime fandoms. Maybe forums are better regulated, but if you go to dedicated fandom ones, it can be a terrible experience.

Some are within the fandom of certain animes just discussing with pairing is better and it gets messy. Ship wars are kinda like Kpop fan wars I guess. Naruto ship wars was bitter.

I believe MAL did a huge crackdown about a decade ago when it was pretty bad which kinda killed the forums a bit. Also, they had technical issues, so maybe this killed traffic more. ANN also had similar crackdowns.

In DBZ fandom has lot of arguments over canon, power level, and stupid useless shit like this. Also it bleeds on Goku x Superman stuff.

Gundam x Macross fanwars. But it was kinda Nintendo x Sega level. I don't think it was bitter or rabid level.

There are SJW accusing some fans of being pedophiles and real pedophile apologists inside anime fandom. People who like fan-service animes x people who like manly ones. Super ugly discussions.

During Evangelion era. Antis x rabid fans. In this case, I was on the rabid fans side at the time. Not my greatest moments.

Some haters may attack the whole studio. KyoAni haters were notorious.

Recent one is in Boku no Hero Academia fandom. Some get super aggressive protecting certain characters while shit on others. Kinda similar to akgaes.

Comic fans x anime fans can also happen.

Some even participate in review bombing and bumping. Like Code Geass fanboys kept creating fake accounts to review bomb top series while trying to put their series in 1st more notably at MAL, but not just there. Not just Code Geass fans, other fandoms did this sorta underhanded tactics. This type of fandom is very ruthless to perceived criticisms and even praises to other animes if you consider them better than they like.

Also, Japanese otakus can be a different beast. One anime I forgot the name had a female character that the author made some vague insinuation that she wasn't virgin. Fans of that anime who were participating on some official membership fandom just started cancelling their membership and even burn their merchandise in protest.

Anime fandom can be a rabbit hole when you dig deep.

EDIT: Oh dunno if someone will get it:

I like sci fi movies and i like web series like money heist,narcos etc

Oh I missed this:

Sci-fi:

Planetes (realistic take on space, if you like it just jump to Vinland Saga, although it's about Vikings, it's the same author with same quality)

Eureka 7 (but don't touch the sequel, it has mecha but it's more about growth and adventure, the movie is very very different from the series, so my advice to start with movies doesn't work here)

Last Exile (maybe it's more steampunk-ish, also avoid the sequel)

Ghost in the Shell (cyberpunk, inspired Matrix)

Heist/Narco (maybe mostly mafia themed):

Baccano! (it's mafia themed with super natural elements, then check Durarara!)

Lupin III

Black Lagoon

91 Days
    Bungou Stray Dogs

Great Pretender

Banana Fish

People already mentioned this one, Cowboy Bebop is sci-fi with some heist elements sometimes, so kinda kills two birds with one stone. It's one of the best animes out there and bears repeating.

There is one sci-fi I would like to recommend: Legend of the Galactic Heroes, but it is like recommending Star Trek, so it's a long commitment, but IMO one of the best animes there as well. It's basically War and Peace in Space. However, it is 2 movies, 110 episodes and 48 extra ones (there is one more movie, but fans of the series wanna ignore this one). There is a new recent remake series, but it's subpar compared to the old series. It's not really a great one to start with, but if you are into sci-fi like Dune, Star Trek, and shit, you should check it later when you are ready.

What your expectations about anime? Do you have some anime tropes you wanna avoid watching? What is your age group? Do you have a preference for movies and TV series?

Blind advice to people who have very little idea of anime in general:

Start with movies or short OVAs. With movies I'd start with Ghibli movies. Good starting Ghibli movies: Ponyo, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Totoro, and Castle in the Sky. After watching these, just check the rest + Nausicaa.

Other great movies:

Paprika (and if you liked it, check all the works of this director)

Your Name (and if you liked it, check all the movies of this director)

The Girl Who Leap Through Time

Summer Wars

Akira

Liz and the Blue Bird (then check Sound! Euphonium)

Cowboy Bebop the movie (then jump to the series and check other works of the series director)

If a long series have a movie, maybe check the movie first and then jump to the series. Most popular franchises will have movies. Even thou the story of the movies tend to be just spin-offs and some are lower quality than the series in terms of story, it can be a decent gauge if you like the type of characters and themes.

I read that some of the big companies do investigate compared to sports teams that don't bother with it at all. I imagine actors don't get checked. They may just check if someone else can vouch for them and that's it.

Not sure if medium and small idol companies do something about it. This is probably not cheap and they try to cut costs and corners usually.

I guess this would be sorta like Singapore. You have foreigners, Malay, Indian, Arab, and Chinese people living together in a prosperous capitalist society, but with tons of rules with harsh punishments (of course I'm just oversimplifying here). In this case, I'd be OK in living in such society.

Utopias with a catch are usually a step up compared to what we have anyway assuming the catch is just a small and reasonable compromise, in this case it's the lack of "free will".

Now let's say there is a chip that removes some of the free will. Like we get programmed to not violate certain rules. It has to be a voluntary choice to get this chip and by doing so, you can live in such "perfect" society where everyone will have enough resources to get their basic needs fulfilled plus opportunity to achieve their dreams. As long this chip doesn't have some secret catches, this is probably still fine assuming every single member of the society including people who enforce it have it and personal individuality is still guaranteed.

Now in a dystopia masked as utopia the same scenario would be different. For instance, same scenario with the chip, but the chip makes everyone not be able to be unhappy, so they can endure the most excruciating of works and make everyone accepts whatever rule decides by the governing body. Of course not in this case.

I didn't reach The Giver, but from the excerpt, it doesn't seem to be a utopia per se thou. More like on the lines of starting ideal, but revealing something dark underneath which isn't what utopia is about. I'd consider it a dystopia in disguise than utopia with a catch trope.

The problem of the idea of utopia is creating the perfect society. However, society is made of flawed humans, so people always fall back to the catches of such theoretical societies and end up creating dystopias instead. I guess the only way to reach somewhat resembling utopia original meaning would be humans transcending to something less flawed.

Dunno, depending on how the left the group. Isn't a similar situation as EXID ex-members? I don't recall interview or comment about ex-EXID members after the current line-up got popular.

I guess not much. Usually people don't dwell that much about this type of changes (like that ex-Beatles who left before the fame hit). Unless some of ex-members are still chasing the idol dream, they are probably fine with their current situation.

I only recall one member commenting about her reason for leaving was a bad road manager playing games while driving risking their lives.