Posts by 4d-maknae

Gaon index I guess that's what they talk about, and as I already replied there isn't really a big difference among nct units and svt if we count the latest two years.

Since 2020, both svt and dream have only one song with above 100M points. 127, svt and dream have one or two songs near the 100M amount.

In comparison the best performing 4th bgs on gaon only have around 28M points for their best selling songs iirc

I'm not readin this trash thread.

But I'm sure someones already said it. those site eclipse domestic charts in monthly listeners and overall popularity. They are given more importance as they've shown them selves to be more important.

Nobody here was fighting idk why are you calling this a trash thread...but once again username check confirms you are one of these people obsessed with dragging certain groups on anon so anything contrary to your belief must be trash I guess

Kpop fans will use whatever metric makes their own group look better. For 4th gen boy group stans it is convenient to ignore Korean charting (cos their faves chart terribly there) and instead talk about Spotify to make themselves feel superior.

In my opinion - clearly groups are popular in different markets and this is reflected in these streaming platforms. One is not superior over the other and a lot of the discourse has a stench of xenophobia like American/European fans are superior to Chinese/korea/SEA fans.

Yeah the discussion turns biased when you have certain group of fans being the ones constantly downplaying metrics where their faves don't do as well and hyping up the ones where they excel.

I mean, I could be one of them too because I'm defending the importance of some charts and sales, but I'm not going around implying something is fake or bought by the company because it didn't match my standards. That's conspiracy territory and people are using it far too much recently.

What does “hard to digest” mean? :pepestare:

For example I found the mememe song hard to digest bc while it wasn't bad it's not something I would download or replay due to how dark the vibes of the song are (same as their debut song), some of the parts were also hard to listen not because they were bad but because It's too strong and you have to be in a certain mood for it. Maybe it's like the noise music category people give to bgs

Actually the part i dont get is why Spotify is worshipped but Youtube is downplayed. I mean, at first i thought it was because YT was free but then doesnt Spotify also have free service with ads or some shit like that? And then i thought because you can buy views with ads on YT but cant you also buy playlisting on Spotify?

YT Music and regular YT are perfect for me, their algorithms are top notch. Which is why i dont get the Spotify worship among chart watchers. Spotify might have 180 million users but doesnt YT have like 2 billion?? Isnt YT a far better metric to determine popularity?

I think the youtube audios of songs should also be taken into account as much as Spotify streams but here we are

because it doesn't make sense for an artist to sell 1 million in 1 day but I couldn't make 1 million streams in 24 hours on Spotify and Spotify is much easier to get

Maybe their main buying fanbase is not living in countries that use it the most. For example I know nct dream main support comes from china, korea and SEA countries. The first two don't use Spotify and that leaves the other ifans who may support the group in other things (sales, concerts and cfs as evidenced) but for some reason aren't enough to get the 1M streams on a day. They didn't like the song, focused on other things, whatever reason they had, they exist and are one of the strongest fanbases for bgs as they proved in other areas. Just because they are bad in one of the metrics should the rest be dismissed?

This is the same group that can reach 1M views on the first 20 minutes before ads run, they do have the fanbase, just not a consistent casual interest which affects the longevity

yes, I consider it strange for a group to sell 1 million copies and I was not able to have compatible consumption. You can use LWY as an example as a million seller with popularity only in Korea, however LWY can be considered (in terms of fa base) even bigger than BTS currently

And why is spotify (and Apple music if you want) the only valid metric for compatible comsuption? Maybe a song wasn't liked by casuals and fans didn't support it as much on these platforms. Does that invalidate all the other metrics where they are growing and surpassing their peers?

I just don't see how physical sales should only be matched with Spotify or these other charts, ignoring all other factores including that some countries where certain groups have a big fandom don't use it

streams is the main form of music consumption today, if it were irrelevant kpop groups would not massively promote their music on spotify and apple music

Once again,nobody said it's irrelevant because everyone knows it's. but that it shouldn't matter as the only metric to determine a group success and much less be used to drag the legitimacy of physical sales if they don't match according to the standards ifans have.

Like if a group is selling out all their tour dates, having contracts with big brands, getting the loudest cheers everywhere they go, improving their domestic charting each cb etc why would a low Spotify stream be the reason to say their sales are mediaplay or fake? It makes no sense

op is addressing this to people who question the legitimacy of the groups physical sales and i think a lot of responses are not seeing that part

Thank you

People think I wrote "Spotify is irrelevant nobody uses it and my faves are better than it" when I recognized how popular it's and that it does show the interest on artists music but i just don't see how it's the end of the world and why it should be compared or "matched" to album sales when these are two different things. One being low doesn't mean the other is fake.

i'm sorry its just sm fans have the same complaint all the time. Like get over it and just be happy with ur faves' album sales and all that sm privelege.

Do they have the same complaints or are they just defending their faves when others have the same drags all the time?

Idk man, just looks kinda weird when you sell millions but can't chart regularly on Spotify with the other groups who sell millions.

And it's not like Korean charting is better, can't break past 150k uls and hits #1 weekly Gaon while being unable to get a measly 100M for the year. The difference between NCTs physicals and their charting numbers is just so high and unlike any other groups it's not hard to see why people question their fans. They clearly have fans tho, it's just there is a noticable disparity between their metrics that no other group with big international fanbases has, even SVT who also does weaker on streaming does better then NCT (regularly on Spotify global for comebacks, has multiple songs with 100M index, etc) so why is NCT so different? Whats stopping their fans from streaming their music on the biggest global streaming platform when they are a globally popular group based off sales? The answer is pretty obvious but I know people in this thread won't want to hear it.

Cmiiw but out of all their recent releases, Seventeen and dream both got 1 song with over 100m index points (hot sauce and l&r) while they + 127 also have 1 song with over 90m (kick it, rock with you and glitch mode). So I don't see the big difference and the three groups are double million sellers. Dream also did better last year on Spotify this time it looks like Seventeen took the lead. Then why is one more questioned than the other according to you? Don't be shy nobody here is going to cancel you lol

I agree it doesn't bring that much income, but in case if you go viral or your song gets popular, new people will see it, new opportunities come, you can get famous in countries you never would imagine, plus it brings international charting so it has very big potential, that's why

My girls weeekly went viral there yet it was crickets the next comebacks, maybe that's why I don't think it will impact careers in the long run