Posts by spark

All their main songs break top 20 on Gaon, except "Uh-Oh"

Before Tomboy, their highest charting song on Gaon was Hwaa peaking at #4.

Yeah but from earlier, Hwaa isn't really considered a hit is it? Its peak is pretty nice, but both it and OMG free-fell from the top after a short period of time from what I recall (I know there was the Soojin scandal during Hwaa, but that doesn't change the fact that what happened happened). Peaks are nice and all, but for a song to be a hit it needs to have longevity as well. A good combination of both is what makes a song an even bigger hit. Imo, the only songs of theirs before Tomboy that could be considered hits are Latata and Dumdi Dumdi (honestly not even solid hits either). Their digital performance so far up until Tomboy has been really just okayish, especially if we compare it to other big GG hits (Psycho, Hip, LSG, Next Level, Eleven, Nonstop, etc.) its clear that Latata or Dumdi Dumdi wouldn't really hold a candle to any of those songs in terms of digitals. Tomboy is honestly like their breakout song imo, like their Rollin, Up & Down, or Nonstop. We'll have to see if they can keep up the momentum though.

I don't think I would call myself a fan, but recently I've been really getting into alot of their music. And yes It's still beautiful is an amazing ballad! I really like the bridge and Junhyung's part at the end with the piano. I really like All my Life too (especially the end where all of the instrumentation is taken out). Some of their other ballads that I really like are

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

and of course the one that everyone probably knows

Sorry this kinda turned into a ballad recommendation but these are pretty much all of the ballads I know by them so far and every single one is good to me, so I will definitely be checking out more of their ballads in the future.

I don't even think we can get people to agree that they're a 4th gen group (which they are) so I doubt people will agree on this.

They should at least be up there though. Debut song was a hit, OMG and Lion were hits, Hwaa was huge before the Soojin scandal and now Tomboy is a big hit.

They're at least a contender lol

Where are you getting that OMG and Lion were hits? From what I remember, OMG had alot of hype and did really well initially, but fell off really quickly and Lion performed subpar. I think only Latata and Dumdi Dumdi could be considered hits. The rest of their songs didn't really do too well digitally. Tomboy is really an anomaly for them so far and is probably going to end up being their biggest hit.

I think the best I could explain it? I said Fbb. That is a pure E.

But if you go two black keys on the piano on F5 and hit it, it sounds different from the E5.

Does that make any sense?

Sorry I don't think I get what you're saying lol, do you mean F is a black key?? From this picture this is how I understand it:

pasted-from-clipboard.png

All of the white keys are without the sharp or flats and all of black keys have them. The note in Step Back is an F, which is one semitone above an E (which is the note in I).

To me it sounds like an E# in Step back and Fbb in I. It's still the fifth so she's good.

E# is an F and Fb is an E, it's interesting how you represented it that way because usually they're just called E or F lol. If you think about it, E# is the note that's a semitone above E (which is F) and Fb is the note that's a semitone below F (which is E). But yeah regardless they're both in the fifth octave and pretty high notes

Wow this detail completely slipped from my memory. I have no recollection of him being involved or leaving highlight.

Yeah I know lol, they aren't too popular so that could be why, but I've been kinda into them lately and tbh I think Junhyung makes really good songs and is a good rapper so I definitely feel his absence

I said this in this thread once and seems like people really didn't pay attention. Artists don't matter anymore, songs do. Arguing how is Nayeon going to do or why did Miyeon flop after Gidle success is really just void. Songs decide. Songs and songs alone. Artist is just there to give it a little boost.

I agree to a certain extent. I think the artist that releases the song can definitely give it more than just a little boost, but ultimately it is the song that decides whether the song will have good longevity and be a solid hit. For example, IU has two title tracks that underperformed for her standards (Coin and Winter Sleep), but would have performed greatly by other groups' standards. I feel like those two songs wouldn't have really done well if released by most other artists, but because it's IU, they were able to do as well as they did.

I think it's because of her reputation as a potential soloist that had already been built basically since If. People knew her for her voice (being the main vocal of snsd) and OST hits. That definitely translated into her solo debut being really anticipated, and when she released I (which did really well), it really catapulted her solo career to a place where it would be hard for her to be unsuccessful. Comparing her to the other members, they didn't have the things that she had. Not to say that they couldn't have been successful, but every snsd solo debut besides Taeyeon performed okay-ish or flopped... I think if one of them had a really well received solo debut, that member probably would have continued to try to branch out with their solo career and could have been pretty successful. So I think for Tiffany and Seohyun (who both had pretty good initial charting and anticipation) it was their solo debut and the songs that kind of held them back (also Tiffany's scandal probably would have killed any momentum her solo career had if it was really successful) . For Yuri, it was the timing, because she debuted 11 years after snsd debuted and way after they were past their prime, so she had pretty much no anticipation. I mean for Yuri, there was a point in time where she was super popular (I think around Genie era) where I could see her having a massive solo debut given the right song. Tbh for Hyo, I can't really ever see her having a successful solo career due to her lack of popularity and for her reputation (being known as a dancer rather than a singer). If we're going to be honest, popularity matters too, and another reason why Taeyeon was successful and some of the others had at least a decent amount of good initial reception was because of their popularity. The other 3 remaining members have not had official solo debuts to my knowledge, so it's hard to judge them there, but if any of them were to hypothetically have a solo debut in the near future, it would most likely perform poorly due to the same reasoning for Yuri.

oh nice to know, I don't really keep up with survival shows so I didn't know Tempest