Posts by Recollect

you may be incredibly talented, but if a company can't use your talent well, how is it really different from people who aren't that talented? music is a priority, not hignotes you can hit or good dance technique. look at aespa or nmixx, they have amazing talents and would easily achieve the same as IVE if their companies managed them well but their companies are stubborn and illogical with their goals. do they deserve success? just like any other group that has worked hard to become an idol.

The stubborness that spurs Aespa is a commitment to experimental and vocal excellence with intriguing choreography, and the supposed illogical goals are expanding hip hip, pop and rap by mixing in r and b and jazz interludes to create a colorful kaleidoscope of sound that is aesthetically appealing and sensitive but also edgy and aggressive.

Totally agree tha 4Minute is way underrated. To take just one composition and performance. How're Doin' Today is one of the best kpop songs I have ever heard- the quintessential mix of cuteness, almost Latinesque dance flavored sauciness and rhythm with hard pumping rap mixed in. A lovely earworm when it comes to catchiness too.

I just realized how many of 4Minute songs really resonate with me over the last few weeks and their stage presence is dynamic and gels really well. I think they're fantastic with they're combination of hard hitting, catchy dance songs mixing elements of hip hop, r and b, softer cute concept and industrial music with generous doses of captivating rap done just right not to bad ass on the swag or too cutesy. They also have slower more authentic r and b with softer sensitivity and dashes of beautiful ballads. There is something about the sensational smorgasbord of styles in the vocal mix that creates a beautiful hard hitting hum in the ear drums with more than a few touches of contemporary soul music too. Favorite songs: What're You Doing Today? Muzik, Volume Up, Hot Issue, Pretending Not to Know, What a Girl Wants, I My Me Mine, HUH, Mirror Mirror, Is It Poppin?, Heart to Heart, Why?, Sweet Suga Honey and finally Wait a Minute because it reminds me so much of an f(x) or Red Velvet song.

I think Feel Special is a really good song that has strong vocals with the synthesizer effect and interesting rhythmic changes, and an overall feel that gells well, but I love Panorama because of the cool dance choreography with the quick hand poses synchronized with Panorama and the hard arm pumping moves matching the pulsating rhythmic drive coupled with the catchy vocal melody, which includes beautifully sustained high pitched notes almost screamed out and interwoven with super cute softer almost spoken lyrics like Ring my Bell near the beginning and Down Down Down at the end. The song by Twice that reminds me most of IZone's Panorama is Likey Likey because I love both these songs and they are both super catchy, cute and upbeat with cool hand choreography.

In sequential order beginning in 2000

aiko - Beetle -cheating a little since it came out in late 1999 but it's my favorite song by her

Namie Amuro - Please Smile Again

Hikaru Utada - Wait and See

Mai Kuraki - Love Day After Tomorrow, Secret of My Heart, Stay By My Side, Simply Wonderful ra no Toki

Ayumi Hamasaki - Surreal

hitomi - Love 2000

Morning Musume - Koi no Dance Site

Namie Amuro- No More Tears and Never End

Hikaru Utada- Travelling, Kettobase, Drama, Eternally, Distance

hitomi- Inner Child

Mai Kuraki - Stand Up, Perfect Crime, Always

aiko - Rosie

Ayumi Hamasaki - Unite

Morning Musume- The Peace!

Mika Nakashima - Stars

Morning Musume - We're Alive

Hikaru Utada - A.S.A.P, Shiawase, Deep River

Mai Kuraki - Feel Fine, Winter Bells

hitomi- Samurai Drive

Namie Amuro - Wishing on the Same Star

Mika Nakashima - I Will

Ayumi Hamasaki - Everywhere and Nowhere

Namie Amuro - Put'em Up, So Crazy, Shine More and the spacy sounding Come from

Four Seasons

Mika Nakahima - Yuki no Hana and Love Addict (can't choose)

Hikaru Utada- Simple and Clean, Colors

aiko - Eriashi ahd Hot 热的

Mai Kurak - Time after Time

Ai Otsuka - Daisuki Dayo (favorite song by her), Amenbo

Namie Amuro - All for You and Girl Talk

Mai Kuraki - Ashita e Kakeru hashi

Mika Nakashima - Glamorous Sky

Ai Otsuka - Planetarium, Kuroge Wagyu Joshi Tanyaki 680 Yen, Neko ni Fūsen,

Hikaru Utada - When Someone's Wishes Come True, Blue and This is Love

yui - Rolling Star, Merry Go Round, Goodbye Days, Feel My Soul

Ai Otsuka - Ren'ai Shashin, Frienger, Yumeku

aiko - Shutter,

Mika Nakashima - Hitoiro

Mai Kuraki- Diamond Wave

Nana Mizuki - Eternal Blaze

Ayumi Hamasaki - Heaven

Namie Amuro - Baby Don't Cry, Full Moon and Pink Key

Hakaru Utada - Beautiful World

Ai Otuka - Peach, Chulip,

AKB 48- Seifuku ga Jama o Suru

Hikaru Utada- Stay Gold

Namie Amuro - Rock Steady

aiko - Kiss Hug

Ai Otsuka - Kurage, Nagareboshi

yui - Again

Scandal - Doll

AKB 48 - Oogoe Diamond

Kana Nishino - Motto, Dear, Maybe and Kimi ni Aitaku Naru Kara

Namie Amuro - Dr., Wild and Fast Car

Ai Otsuka - Bye Bye

Scandal - Shojo S

AKB 48- Nadmida Surprise, River

Kana Nishino - Best Friend, Kimi Ite, Aitakute Aikakute, If, Hey Boy and Kono Mama De

Hikaru Utada - Goodbye Happiness

yui - Rain, To Mother

AKB 48 - Beginner, Majisuka Rock 'n Roll, Kimi no Koto ga Suki Dakara

Scandal - Scandal Nanka Buttobase

Kana Nishino- Tatoe Donna Ni, Distance, I'll Be There, Alright, Esperanza and Together

Namie Amuro - Naked

AKB 48 - Kaze wa Fuiteiru, Flying Get,

Mai Kuraki- 1000 Mankai no Kiss

Kana Nishino - Watashitachi, Always, Go For It, Sakura I Love You, Happy Half Year

Leo Ieri- Shine, Bless You, Sabrina, Say Goodbye and Last Stage

Namie Amuro - Love Story, Tempest, In the Spotlight. Yeah Oh

Luna Haruna - Overfly and Sora Wa Takaku Kaze Wa Utau

Nogizaka 46 Hashire Bicycle, Sekkachi na Katasumuri, Seifuku no Manekin M

Mai Kuraki - Braveheart

Scandal- Taiyō Scandalous

anekino Manekin

Namie Amuro- Contrail, Let Me Let You Go, Rainbow and Heaven

Kana Nishino- Believe and Sayonara

AKB 48 - Heart Electric, Sayonara Crawl

Nogizaka 46- Kimi no Na wa Kibō, Barrette, Romansu no sutāto, Sekai de Ichiban Kodoku na Lover

Leo Ieri- Taiyo no Megami, Message

Luna Haruna- Kimi Ga Kureta Sekai

Scandal - Awanai Tsumori no, Genki de ne, Overdrive

Mai Kuraki - Try Again

Nogizaka 46- Nandome no Aozora ka?,Mukuchi no Lion, Kizuitara Kataomoi, Free and Easy

Kana Nishino- Darling, Agata no Uta and Suki

Leo Ieri- Junjō" (純情, Taiyou no Megami, Silly, Ijiwaru na Kamisama, Kiss Me

Namie Amuro - Tsuki

AKB 48- Kiboteki Refrain

Nogizaka 46- Gomen No Zutto, Inochi wa Utsukushii, Mou Sukoshi no Yume, Ima hanashitai dareka ga Iru,

Kana Nishino- Moshi mo Unmei no Hito ga Iru no nara, Torisetsu

Leo Ieri- Miss You, Kimi ga Kureta Natsu (The Summer You Game Me)

Namie Amuro- Mint, Time Has Come

Luna Haruna- Kimiiro Signal, Startear

Nogizaka 46- Sayonara No Imi, Naimononedari, Hadashi de Summer,

Kana Nishino- Have a Nice Day, Yeah, Holiday, Set Me Free,

Leo Ieri- Bokutachi no mirai, Brand New Tomorrow, Hello to the World

Hikaru Utada- Hanataba o Kimi ni, Manatsu no Tōriame, Michi

AKB 48- High Tension

Nogizaka46- Itsuka Dekiru kara Kyō Dekiru, Influencer

Namie Amuro- Showtime, Do It for Love, In Two,

Hikaru Utada- Forevermore, Anata,

Kana Nishino- One More Time

Leo Ieri- Zutto Futari de, Harukaze, Relax, Tokyo, Afutādāku, Fantasy, Arikitaridesuga, Datte nekodakara, Papa no tokei

Nogizaka 46- Kaerimichi wa Tōmawari Shitaku Naru, Syncrhonicity

Hikaru Utada- Chikai, Play a Love Song

AKB 48- Teacher Teacher

Nogizaka 46- Yoake Made Tsuyogaranakutemoii

AKB 48 Sustainable

Nogizaka 46 - Shiawase, Sekaijuu no rinjin yo, Boku wa Boku wo Sukt ni Naru,

Leo Ieri- Mikansei

Nogizaka 46- Fingers Crossed

Leo Ieri- Answer, Kanashi mi no Hate

Nogizaka 46- Actually

For me the album that converted me to really liking Hikaru Utada's music was Distance, even though to many especially it seems in the West it appears to be the ugly duckling of Hikaru's Japanese discography, but I vehemently disagree. Speaking objectively, it is her second best selling album. Personally, I think Distance is Hikaru's best and most underrated album, though I certainly think Deep River and Ultra Blue are really close and Heart Station and Fantom are close as well. One of the greatest compliments I could give an album is to say that it converted me to being a fan of an artist I previously wasn't really into that much and such is the case for Hikaru Utada and Distance. It is the beautiful vulnerability and lovely feminity in her voice and for me Distance is Hikaru's most immediate, passionate and spontaneous sounding album like with the laughs left in at the end of Wait and See, including beautifully silky vocals and lovely sky high whines, cries and agility rising into falsettos with fine fluidity. What it lacks in moments of meditation and empty space, it makes up for in antic energy, sincerity and a fascinating juxtaposition of styles and moods in combining r and b, Latin, rock, and ballads as in the lush strings and big vocal build up in Eternally. It grooves, jostles then soothes the listener between the tracks but isn't afraid to leave in a free rough abrasive sounding edges here and there to give it the feel of the joy and strife of life which gives it a kind of genuine R and B pedigree. It is also makes a great period piece evoking the early 2000's vividly like a recording sent up in a space ship to remind one of this specific time and place.
    Wait and See comes out of the box with an alternating tide of relatively quiet chime like instrumentation rising to a full throated whine that blasts off in the chorus symbolized well in the video when Hikaru races through the streets on a motorcyle while she sports some cool moves with an extended mix of overdubs and a laugh left in providing an interesting outro to the song. The Latinesque r and B Can You Keep a Secret has an intriguing whining and quivering quality in the vocals with some nice backing vocals and a catchy bopping dance rhythm, some tasty Spanish acoustic licks mixed with a whispering interlude, and more appealing whining in the chorus. Actually, there is a slightly neurotic quality that grates just a tiny bit yet this is actually an asset because it gives it a more desperate unsettling quality.
    Personally, I find the claim that this album is a copy of American R and B only in the Japanese language to be erroneous since the composite of styles that are mixed into the songs is quite unique when taken as a whole. For instance, the soothing chimes and silky smooth vocals and intricately interwoven overdubs, that greet the listener in Distance seem to be an embroidered synthesis of American r and B, traditional Japanese and Hikaru's own unique blend of the two with touching subtlety and sophistication. Such lovely rise and fall out of the falsetto in this song too and the seamless production really pulls the listener in. The discordance and distortion in Drama with electric guitar and Hikaru's emotional and gutteral delivery adds some grit and rawness to the album that contrasts "drama"tically with Distance with the cross current of clashing overdubs creating a really pleasing cacophony. Vocally,
    Addicted to You starts out rather deep and quiet but crescendoes into a beautifully full throated plaintive delivery and then the outro leaves in Hikaru's shig a shig a which adds more spontaneity to the album. Then, comes the fabulous Kettobase which combines the vulnerability of Eternally, the Latin rhythms and passion of Can You Keep a Secret and the rocking discordance of Drama with the masterfully phrased, "I Want your bAAAby." with an onslaught of whines, cries, rapid rises and falls in pitch. And then a ecstatic full throated peak in the chorus. This song among many others shows me what a vocal virtuoso Hikaru really is. Finally, Time Limit is a straight up fantastic R and B piece in a bit more traditional style with a fabulous blending of Hikaru's lovely whines and cries, harmonious backing vocals and a really tasteful rap breakdown. These are my favorite songs but For You has a cool groovy breakdown and lovely smoothness in the vocals with some nice keyboard touches and some plucked strings flourishes I also like Parody and Sunglasses. I also really like the flowing silky glossy look of Hikaru on the cover to the album. It is really aesthetically appealing but her downcast eyes suggests the Distance in the title. Overall, I give this album 5 stars.

I am surprised to finally see a fairly new thread about Kana Nishino one of my favorite singers ever from anywhere. She has such a beautiful and resonant R and B base mixed in with cute concept, country, and a roller coaster of emotion bursting with joy to bittersweet sadness in her ballads, also mixing a touch of country like in Darling and When I Find My SoulMate with Japanese traditional and plenty of highly appealing pop. I have no idea what she is doing now, though I miss her singles, albums and live performances. Not only is Kana one of the few single artists who can sell out dome tours by concentrating almost completely on the quality and charm of her voice and personality (since she doesn't focus that much on dancing), but she also set a record by having the most number 1 songs on the short lived digital download chart from 2009 to 2012. During this stretch, she had an amazing 12 number 1 singles on this chart, which I believe is the most during this period.

Here is a list of all her number 1 digital download singles. I love all these songs:

1. Motto 2 weeks week of October 20 and week of November 3

2. Dear 1 week week of December 1

3. Best Friend 3 weeks

4. Aitakute Aitakute 2 weeks

5. If 2 weeks

6. Kimitte 3 weeks

7. Distance 2 weeks

8. Esperanza 1 week

9. Tatoe Donnani 2 weeks last week of 2011 and first week of 2012

10. Sakura, I Love You 2 weeks

11. Watashitachi 3 weeks

12. Go For It 1 week chart is discontinued while this song is number 1

Sooyoung. I also think Sooyoung has the quickest wit, is the funniest and does the best impersonations on variety shows

then Yoona

Tayeon for having such a beautiful, strong and soulful voice and charisma

but the whole group is beautiful most of all in the music and stage presence

My opinion of SNSD has changed dramatically in a positive way over the last couple of weeks. I like them as much as my previous top favorites.