Posts by WhimsyLand

we are talking about kpop idol groups which are going to sing and dance at same time. The main vocalist is to carry the vocal througout the performance. In that sense, stability + stamina are key factors. They dont stand or sit down to sing a song always.

The often-quoted top main vocalists of kpop have always have both vocal technique AND stability. Lacking one, i dont think you qualify as a good kpop group main vocalist

And she has both now so this is irrelevant

Sorry but u did not just brush off Bora like that. Bora is obviously the best in the song.

Chaehyun had her fair share of unstable moment / voice crack during live performance. She is barely a "good main vocal" im sorry to say that. She is at best at Karina level and karina aint no main vocalist

Oh my god, this narrative needs to stop. Bora is NOT the best vocalist on GP technically, Chaehyun is. It's not even a subjective thing, since vocal technique is objective.

Voice cracks with Chaehyun only happened when she was dancing and that's because she has low stamina. I always give this example - if you ask Whitney Houston to dance Antifragile's choreo and sing at the same time, she won't be able to since she hasn't been trained to have that kind of stamina. That doesn't mean Chaewon and Yunjin are better vocalists than her, they're just better live performers.

However, Chaehyun has improved even on that front and is hard carrying Kep1er's vocals because none of the other members can support at all. Also, Chaehyun is a C- vocal-tier wise and Karina is D-, so she's more Winter/Ningning level.

Hmm, I'm not really an expert so I'll just name the top members in each country without ranking all of them.

Korea: Hanbin by far + F4. Taerae is also very popular.

China: Hao and Haobin by far.

Japan: Gunwook is #1 there. For the others, I'd say Top 4 is Hao, Matthew, now Jiwoong

South America: Matthew, Jiwoong

North America: Matthew for fans, Jiwoong/Ricky for non-fans.

Overall, Hao seems to maintain stable popularity across all geographies.

What about in Korea? Is hype for the group big like Wanna One? Is Hanbin as big as Kang Daniel was?

It'll be impossible for ANY survival show group to come even close to Wanna One's hype or Kang Daniel's in Korea. Those 11 boys had a chokehold on the fandom and GP, which almost never happens. Even X1 couldn't get there, so obv ZB1 are not there.

I'd say ZB1 have a good sized fandom, almost close to X1. But their GP hype is very low, not even 1/10th of Wanna One's, but that's to be expected, this is the 4th Gen after all.

Just look at Produce 101 Season 2. Their mission song Never was #1 on Melon for weeks and had multiple all kills and roof hits. No other Produce show after has managed to do it. It'll be pretty unfair to compare them.

Gonna be fun to watch the changes too. Koreans fans are liking more Gunwook since the end of Boys Planet and they found out he's one of the most well spoken members in the documentary and live.

Till now, I think ZB1 fandom get along pretty well for a survival show group. I was afraid that after the kcon performance everyone would fight for lines, but the subfandoms agreed that is impossible to everyone sing the same amount of lines.

I would say he has the biggest fandom while Ricky and Jiwoong are more known to non-ZB1 stans.

Gonna be fun to watch the changes too. Koreans fans are liking more Gunwook since the end of Boys Planet and they found out he's one of the most well spoken members in the documentary and live.

Till now, I think ZB1 fandom get along pretty well for a survival show group. I was afraid that after the kcon performance everyone would fight for lines, but the subfandoms agreed that is impossible to everyone sing the same amount of lines.

Yes! I was surprised, but apart from a few people complaining about Matthew's lines, most of the fandom got along pretty well.

I hope this energy continues, the true test will be their debut title track.

Wait the show flopped in China? I remember X1 was pretty big in China. Do you know why China doesn’t stan the group?

Both Planet seasons didn't do well in China because of survival show fatigue. It was bad in Korea but even worse in China because they had like 6 Produce seasons in 3 years (3 seasons of Youth With You aka the unofficial remake and 3 seasons of the official Produce remake). Fan culture around survival shows got so bad that the government had to ban them and a lot of their popularity fell off after that, even if they were from other countries.

I would say ZB1 popularity is pretty even compared to other groups (even more produce ones). There's no member who's popularity is the least in every country. Example: Gunwook is one of the least populars in Korea, but he's huge in Japan. Gyuvin is one of the least popular members in the west, but one of the most populars in Korea. Every member appeal to a certain audience and country.

Exactly, every member brings something to the table. This is a very balanced lineup with very even popularity imho.

A great example of members rising in popularity would be Jiwoong. He was always popular in Japan, but from what I see, it's risen quite significantly after he spoke fluent Japanese at KCON. So, there's always the potential to rise.

Again, these types of posts should be taken as positives since Zhang Hao's popularity in China will benefit ZB1 as a whole.

We should be glad Hao is in the group in the first place because he's the reason ZB1 will have any Chinese sales at all considering BP flopped in China.

Their situation is actually pretty similar to Wanna One where Korean and Japanese sales will hard carry. ZH is the only reason we might have decent Chinese sales at all. He isn't my bias, but I'm thankful to him in that regard, just like I'm thankful Gunwook pulls the Japanese sales, Jiwoong South American etc.

Edit: Also to people who feel hurt about their bias' numbers, don't be! This is just the beginning for all of them, the group hasn't even debuted yet. I'm sure all the members will grow. Sure, some members may not be popular in China, but they'll have other domains where they are. Every member brings a lot of fans to ZB1 and every one of them is precious in their own way. While numbers are a good way to gauge popularity and congratulate certain members, I hope stans don't get too caught up in it and get upset.