Posts by RunOutOfIdeas

You absolutely said it ❤️

But yes you seem to be finally on the same page as exol about what causes popularity ❤️❤️❤️

The hearts made you being triggered all the more funny. I mean I just said something and went about my business eating my chicken soup any I came back to see you losing it. All about my opinion on something that happened so long ago.

Istg, this is why I will never leave kpop. This infinite source of entertainment is hard to find elsewhere.

Naaahhhhh, I still don't need exo to be popular in the west or whatever, I want them to be active. EXOLs were mostly pleased with what exo did in Korea, it wasn't perfect but it was good. I wouldn't mind exo touring the world and promoting globally here and there, but in reality (we) I just need regular comebacks and that is something that shouldn't be affected with or without so called western validation. Without setting the foot there exo was always recognized for being the legends that they are, despite kpop fans poping their veins and SM ignoring them, and that's so exo of them.

Give exo regular schedule and popularity will come naturally, as it always did.

Well, it turned out that what they did in Korea wasn't enough in the long run.

I already mentioned that SM was incompetent in managing them.

Anyway, that's the way I experienced things back then and what I saw. Let's agree to disagree.

Lol the rhetoric change from “they’re not popular because my favs music was better and theirs sucked” to “they didn’t become popular because their fandom wasn’t good enough”

Is honestly hilarious. But sure glad you’re saying some groups only became popular because of rabid fandom push and no other reason.

I didn’t say it nor do I think that but from the mouth of their own fans is sweet to hear and funny.

Wow, you got so triggered that you got angry about things I didn't even say.

Impressive how anger can make people lose any rational thinking along with reading comprehension.

I beg to differ. And judging by how Exols moved in 2018, by which time they had realized the benefits of Western Validation they ridiculed so much, despite being a little late as the ship has sailed, I don't think I am wrong.

I agree with Ves that Jennie is more popular with the gp since she has had more opportunities to build her brand, even before her debut. I remember people knowing Jennie Kim from her GD video and anticipating her debut. And even after that, the way YG promoted them helped her get more individual attention. So, with her cfs her face was everywhere in Korea and people thought she was the female GD, especially when it came to fashion. So, it was no surprise Solo was huge.

At the same time BTS as a group, let alone the individual members, didn't get the time of day from the Korean media until after the Billboard number 1 in 2018. They hardly ever appeared on Korean TV and shows and anyone who was in the BTS at that moment remembers that, even big international BTS achievements trended lower in Korea in major Korean sites than a big 3 idol getting a haircut or a new bag.

Plus, Big hit focused on the group rather than solo careers and that was both a blessing and a curse.

Exo was really popular among kpop fans back in their heyday but they had been little popularity outside of kpop. When the kpop expansion in the West in 2017 happened, the SM made a huge mistake but having them disappear for more than a year. Despite my dislike for the song, kokobop was well received by kpop fans and was a hit so while they could have followed up on this success by releasing a good song, they released Power that did nothing for them.

And then they disappeared.

Their fans were another issue. Exols were too stubborn, only focusing on domestic or Asian popularity. Instead of taking advantage of the then current kpop wave in the West, they loved to make fun of 'Western Validation ' and 'No 24 Daesangs no opinion ', believing it would be impossible for the group to be surpassed.

Also other great opportunities like the Olympic games didn't work out, mostly because of SM incompetence.

Still, they reached a high that very few bgs have, and their success and popularity back then won't be reached by most bgs, despite kpop being much bigger now.

Well, this comes as no surprise because at the end of the day, this was the clever thing for them to do.

If I were Lisa, for example, I would be tempted to leave after being treated like that in my company and knowing that I have great connection to do more.

But the BP brand is too big and being the biggest gg group in kpop and worldwide, is not something you can easily leave behind as it will help them keep getting those opportunities for endorsement deals and cfs.

Even as a non fan, I hope they got a better deal when it comes to releasing music. Maybe, they will be even able to do different things and show a different side of theirs than typical Teddy songs. That's why it's good news they didn't sign with TBL, although sorrow and prayers to Hardy.

SM bridges tend to be so out of place in a song. You might have a futuristic song with Ross' keyboard sound effects and bed squeaks and then suddenly it feels like someone just changed the radio station and a whole different song is playing, just because they want to flex a high note that belongs to a whole different song.

But my main issue with those bridges is that they are so overdone. They just have to have them almost every single time.

The first half of the song was nice enough but then the rap made me cringe a little. It felt unnatural and it ruined the song a little for me.

I liked the vocals, especially the black haired girl that sang 'like a bee' first.

It's not a bad song but totally underwhelming for a debut that took so long. It's just a typical YG song they have released a thousand times.

With the group singing towards the end, the customary big vehicle scene while rapping and the typical gangsta, swag YG lyrics and face expressions. It could be a either a Treasure song or a BP song.

They brought nothing new to the table and it feels like they want a new 2NE1/BP. That would be bas because I think these girls do seem to have potential.

I am Craig this is not for me.

It's odd that even though it's such a hype song and the video is so intense, I felt zero excitement.

I wonder whether it's because it's what one would expect from them so it's not that exciting anymore and it feels like I have heard this song before.

Hands down the best gg mv of the last few years. It's been a while since I was shook by visuals that much.

When I first listened the song, I was a little underwhelmed and disappointed because Better Things was my jam last summer. But since I had to watch the mv again and again for the visuals, it took two listens to like it.

It seems that I will be playing it a lot.

Akmu was/ is (?) number 1 on melon but not many people cared much either. The Korean charts are not what they used to be and being successful there is the cherry of top, not the cake itself. Unless you are one of the few popular members that will manage to do variety shows and even get a role in a drama , while you can that is because the Korean gp is extremely fickle, the money and popularity are elsewhere.

I think it depends on how you see it. Some 4th gen stans are in their bubble and they think that no one cares about other groups but it's just that the vs threads about the two biggest ggs are all we have here these days because kpop has slowed down. People do care enoughabout Stray Kids or other groups.

When a group gets successful, and remains successful, that means people like them so their success it deserved but it's the career trajectory that makes all the difference. So here's my essay about it.

Even non fans agree that BTS more than deserve their success because it went against the status quo and the way things used to happen in kpop until that time. Not only did they have to work with limited budget and resources, they also had to deal with the industry working against them. There are plenty of stories of how they were mistreated and not taken seriously, even on air.

They were even taken to court, something no other group had to face, afaic.

So, it's admirable that they never gave up and they kept working hard for their fans. Even on top, they had a rookie mindset to giving their 100% percent in every performance. They also singlehandedly managed to make their company huge and became a symbol of Korean culture abroad in the process.

Twice was considered a failure because success was expected from them. Jyp had other really successful ggs so their results were a disappointment for the first few months because they didn't live up to people's expectations.

Despite their huge success, they kept working hard for the fans and they try different things. People thought they were over but they never gave up and always reach new highs internationallly.

BP's debut was highly anticipated so their success wasn't a surprise. They debuted with a hit song, had cfs from the first days of their debut. YG was the main reason for the initial success with their connections and string YG brand at that time but people liked the members and that's why they stayed successful. Back then you could see how much for they were on stage and that's what brought people in their fandom. I think the hiatus cooled down their passion and now their stages are hit or miss. Maybe they prefer the celebrity life now since it's easier and less exhausting than being an idol.

NJ's initial success had almost everything to do with the concept. They did something different and unique and I guess people liked that. I did too a large extent. But the girls work hard too. They can also utilize the Hybe connections, resources and money and that made promoting them way easier than other ggs from smaller companies. They can go all out to a degree that even BTS never got.

My thoughts on the songs

3D: when it was released I was still on my Seven high so I didn't appreciate it fully. But now I really like it a lot. My only complaint it ends a little abruptly and it shocks me every time.

Closer to You : I think this is my favorite song in the album. The vocals and the music are chef's kiss. Words can do justice to how much I like it. 100/10

Seven: it was love at first listen and it's still going strong. It makes me feel good and it's totally addictive. The only problem it's that it's my ring tone and every time I listen to it, I think someone is calling me.

Standing Next To You: very 80s and MJ. I love love the vibe of the background vocals. His vocals shine as well. I love that it's different from the other two singles so far. I am happy with his choice.

Yes or No: very early 2000s vibe. My old ass would love this back in the day. It's a good song but this sound is not for me anymore.

Please don't change: very radio friendly song. It has potential to become a hit if promoted. I really like it.

Hate You: when it comes to slower songs, SGOT feels more Jungkook and I prefer the other one to this one.

Somebody: this is my kind of song. Love it love it love it

Too Sad to Dance: reminds me of Justin Bieber songs. I like the whistling in the end.

It's nice but not for me.

Shot glass of Tears: this feels very Jungkook for some reason.

All in all a very good album. He really put a lot of thought in it and I am glad it's successful. He totally deserves it.