Posts by Kreatin

No one can't deny their charting is very questionable given the circumstances, if there's actually chart manipulation it will come out.

Unlikely, whetever its true or not.

Theres been pictures and reports about alleged streaming farms and companies selling streams, artists who have said they have been approached for getting onto charts over the years etc.

But theres never been any direct proof or evidence of any accused song actually doing it, and theres been many accusations over the years.

Wait Bibi is smashing???

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

There is some live clip thats trending high on youtube and her audio is also trending first atm.

Bc the song performance isn't trending, where does the vitality come from then?

And like someone said, not even nj got roof hits one melon, that's how difficult it's to get one

To be clear, the roof hits it got is not from the old system but the new hot 100 chart, which doesnt work like the old realtime, because more than one song can get roof hit on it at the same time, as happened with tws song, it was #2 but still got roof hit.

Just how many Melon charts are there?

Well, there's quite a few and often they get confused like in this pannchoa/instiz post which says top 100 melon five minute chart, but its actually the hot 100 five minute chart which is not the same thing (there is no five minute chart for top 100)

TOP 100 - Main chart, based on 50% last hour uniqe listerners and 50% last 24 hours unique listeners

HOT 100 - Hourly listener chart with no songs older than 100 days

HOT 100 5 minute chart - Shows the unique listener per hour in 5 minute intervals (this is the chart that tws song managed to go above LWA on for 5 minutes at 10pm)

Realtime chart - This is the old main chart that was used until 2020. It still exists. Based soley on ul/hour. This is mostly dominated by LYW songs these days and not really used by anyone.

Realtime 5 minute chart -similar to hot 100 5 min, but this only shows the three highest songs for any given hour on the realtime chart.

Daily chart - Shows the previous days total unique listeners. This is the most important chart, but fandoms tend to not use it much because most groups doesnt do that well on it.

24h chart - Replaced realtime chart as the main chart and in use for about a year between 2020-2021, before melon replaced it with todays top 100 chart. This only ranked songs by the last 24 hours UL, similar to the daily chart but not exactly the same. No longer in use.

Then theres

Weekly chart

Monthly chart

Yearly chart

New song chart

Actually, NJ's strategy hasnt worked since their debut and only Attention reached #1. Hybe Boy was behind Blackpink/Ive/project group/Zico/Idle/LSRFM/Event Horizon for all of 2022. However Hybe Boy's record breaking longevity has made up for it somewhat.

OMG was overshadowed by Ditto, never made it to #1, and left way too soon from the top 10. Same with ETA, it peaked way below SS, never made it to #1 and left the top 10 way too soon.

To be fair, Idle tried it with Allergy and kwinka and failed (only kwinka hit). Aespa tried it and failed (only Spicy hit). Ive tried it and failed recently with only Baddie reaching #1...but Ive does hold the record as the ONLY group to have back to back #1 hits (Kitsch and I AM).

In the end there's only room for one song at #1.

But the reasoning is it might be better for the artist overall having multiple well performing songs rather than just one hit song. In this i'd say the have succeded considering they still to this day have 5? songs charting in top 50, and 12 in top 400.

Whats more valueable in the end, having one song at #1 with 400k ul, or having 5 songs in top 20 with a combined ul of 1m? What helps build and maintain popularity the most? Im not sure but im leaning towards the latter.

Is it that hard to belive when 99% of what bgs do today is geared towards woman with evertything they do? What exactly is there to draw the typical heterosexual men to discover or listen to them, if the music isnt doing it alone?

Add on that men in general are much less likely to hardcore fan any single group/artist. Theres a reason girlgroups today are also targeted towards women. In general, they treat it as a hobby and spend more money and time on it.

Same is true for western pop hardcore fans, majority of the hardcore fans are not exactly heterosexual males.

Metal would probably be the genre that have closest male equivialent to the typcial kpop fandoms, but most of the time they are in it for the genre in general and not so much a specific group or two. They spend money on albums (bulk buying isnt really a thing tho) , merch and concerts, but based on the metalheads i know, its mostly just an excuse to hang out with similar minded people, go to festivals/concerts and get drunk.

Here the numbers for the whole of 2023 (first i posted was for december month 2023)

pasted-from-clipboard.png

Here's Year to year comparision which i find interesting, because it goes back to 2016 - now the question is if they are comparing with their old digital point system or if the numbers for 2016/2017 are re-calculated in the same way that 2018- onwards numbers are?
    pasted-from-clipboard.png

Regarding genres:

Among the top 100 songs on the 2023 annual chart, 28 ballads, 36 dance, and 7 rap/hip-hop songs were ranked. (a genre: melon standard)

What's also unusual is that there were 36 songs in the dance genre in the 2023 Annual Chart Top 100, the most of any survey conducted in the last 10 years. This seems to be directly related to the domination of the Korean music market by so-called fourth-generation girl groups. For reference, 18 of the 2023 Annual Chart Top 20 songs are dance songs, and 16 are songs by girl groups (members).

Tbh I think they're as clueless as we are lol.

Link for the 2022-2023 graph and commentary: https://circlechart.kr/page_ar…?sgenre=opinion&idx=23400

Also found another graph for 2019-2021. Added it to my post. Link for that one: https://circlechart.kr/page_ar…?sgenre=opinion&idx=20226

Was about to say, that at least the first months of 2023 didnt really drop at all compared to 2022...but then seeing the 2019 curve its just tragic.

This is all turning into a big mystery, it would be one thing if this was spaced out over a longer period of time but it being so sudden ...

Came across this nice graph on Circle's website. You can clearly see when the decrease in digital points started compared to 2022. Basically there was no normal summer increase in 2023. So the question is what happened in June-August last year that set this downward spiral in motion. The explanation Circle offers is that "the growth of YouTube Music, lack of genre diversity in the music market, and issues excluding silent streaming counts appear to have had a combined effect on music usage." Still doesn't really explain to me though what happened in June-August. Let's see if we at least will see a similar increase in March-May as occured in the last 2 years.

20240115_F5CD31B25176FD259408A06F97D9332E.jpg

Ah nice, do you have a source link?

yea, this basically confirms what we talked about in this thread a couple of weeks ago.

"the growth of YouTube Music, lack of genre diversity in the music market, and issues excluding silent streaming counts appear to have had a combined effect on music usage."

interesting they also bring up the excluding of muted streams, even tho from what we know that wasnt implemented until october?

The youtube factor have been discussed but i dont really think that explains the sudden drop when youtube seemingly have lost streams as well, at least for the top songs on the chart.

The NJ’s strategy only works with NJ.

A lot of artists are trying with multiply singles and it rarely works if they’re lucky one song performs well but it kills the hype of the era.

Honestly IU can chart the whole album without any promo so I don’t know if it will help her in any way.

I mean, new jeans wasnt even thought of when IU began doing multiple singles or having odd release times. I think the only other act in korea that did it at the time and had any real success with it before that was bigbang in 2015?

The main difference this time is mainly the exclusivity given to youtube for some reason (i can understand the reasoning for LWA and it wasnt four days at least), the short window to main title track now on friday (but she did this with autumn morning back in 2017 as well), and having a mv released days after the album release.

even with New Jeans I still don't get the staggered MV/digital track release. I don't see how it's any more beneficial than simply releasing both at the same time as a proper pre-release separate from the album. Unless the MV is to create hype and then you consolidate digital downloads for album charting in the U.S.? but IU is releasing her album on a Tuesday so it's clearly not geared for the west.

I agree with this not really being to any benfit for IU when it comes to chart metrics (at least for the title track). But its been clear for a while now she doesnt really care too much about it these days (considering how she released strawberry moon and pieces)

IU's album promotion is really, really similar to NJ's Get up.

She had the prerelease weeks before the album release (Super shy), she's releasing one of the titles in Youtube before the album release (Cool with you was released 2 days earlier, New Jeans was also released the day before Super shy was out), she's going to have MVs for all the songs apart from the fandom song (basically same as NJ with all the songs having MVs, even though Get up was with CWY), and what might be the most uncommon thing she's even going to release the MV of a b side after the album is out (like NJ did with Asap, ironically the song with a NJ member).

I'm not sure if it's related somehow or if it's just a coincidence, IU has always promoted in a unique way and she never left the prereleases after all. Maybe it's just how companies feel is the best way to promote artists with strong digital power that can chart several songs separating them all in some way so they all will have some spot to shine, specially nowadays with the rise of Youtube, but the resemblance is obvious.

interesting, didnt know it was so similar to new jeans.

Im sure New jeans success and their promotions havent gone unnoticed by anyone in the business. Also onsidering the direct connections with NJ guesting on palette show, the upcoming collab and ircc IU even mentioned Min Heejin by name in the palette episode, it could probably be even more than that.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So shopper seems to be the "main" title track, as its confirmed to release with the album next tweek. She probably thinks she discovered a "hack" with being able to label/have two title tracks on an album with lilac, and now every album from her going forward will probably have it.

While coin didnt do as well as lilac, it still charted higher and longer than any of other tracks on lilac (celebrity excluded).

IU really giving preferential treatment to youtube this comeback over other digital charts :S

Four out of five songs with their own full blown music videos. It could have been three pre-releases. Instead theres one pre-release but delayed one day on music services, then theres Holssi on friday at 6pm kst with audio release 4 days later. Then Shh which will be released with the album but have a post release of the mv two days later at 0am kst.

From a pure chart perspective it doesnt really makes much sense at all, whetever its youtube, domestic or international, the dates and they way its done is not synced at all.

But its likely just how IU wants it and this time she's overruled any objections from her agency when it comes to weird release times.

So IU releasing the MV for one of the TTs on Friday. Will be interesting to see how that impacts the song's initial charting compared to the other TT.

Getting tired of this, this lack of respect for us chart enthusiasts who find our enjoyment in first day ul numbers =(

LYW's OST (love always runs away) has charted within top 20 on melon realtime chart every single hour since it release in october 2021. Last time it left top 10 was in october last year.

Its highest daily rank ever achived is #3.

It has accumulated 4,5m unique listeners and 664m unfiltered streams.

For reference, dynamite have 594m streams, EDEM is at 527m and spring day at 969m.