GAON needs to do something about its main Digital Chart.

• This Im Young Wooong destroyed the Gaon Digital Chart with 40 million Gaon points, easily taking 1st place from May 1-May 7 for his promoted single, Can We Meet Again.

According to Melon Weekly Chart rankings for May 2 - May 8, the same song ended up at 31.

This discrepancy is insane and shows how easily mass fandoms can manipulate and distort Gaon. They need to remove downloads and zombie streams from the rankings completely.

• Zombie Streams don't impact Gaon charts.

And if someone has enough downloads to top the Gaon chart, it's significantly more than what your average (and by that I mean top tier) group could pull off. TXT or Nct aint doing that.

• Yes stream Zombie

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Mass streaming has no effect on that chart since gaon already filtered mass streaming. Mass streamed acts don’t get gaon cetifications.

His fans are bulk buying downloads like daniel.

Nothing world breaking.

• Mass streaming has no effect on that chart since gaon already filtered mass streaming. Mass streamed acts don’t get gaon cetifications.

Nothing world breaking.

it's not that easy to bulk buy downloads.....

BG's dont really all have download certifications... so he really has THAT big a fandom way more than any BG.

• Melon only accounts for 30% of the streaming marketshare in Korea, and it's shrinking every year.

Most Kpop fans probably don't even realize Melon has only 5 million users.

It's no longer an accurate gauge of what's popular in Korea.

Melon is dying and is not coming back.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

• Melon is a streaming service. They are making these charts to enhance their user's experiences. Not for tracking. So it is actually better if people stopped giving a damn about Melon charts and complain about their methodology. Because they are not a chart but a streaming service.

I like it when fans support their favourite artists and do extra bit so I'm never complaining about "chart manipulation" by fans.

Nothing world breaking.

gaon directly measures how much money the idol is making.....soooo.

And zombie streams have no effect on gaon.. it filters streams by a very large margin even more than melon etc.

Zombie Streams don't impact Gaon charts.

And if someone has enough downloads to top the Gaon chart, it's significantly more than what your average (and by that I mean top tier) group could pull off. TXT or Nct aint doing that.

Then Gaon should rename the chart as the Official Song Revenue Chart so we know exactly what's being measured here. Not true popularity based on ULs, but how much money the song earns based on fandom downloads. Same with Melon as well, i remember they still include downloads but their charts are somehow a lot more resistant to fandom manipulations.

For chart watchers, it's time we all just band together and use only Melon 24 Hits, Melon Daily and Melon Weekly Charts when comparing a song's true popularity.

• Then Gaon should rename the chart as the Official Song Revenue Chart so we know exactly what's being measured here. Not true popularity based on ULs, but how much money the song earns based on fandom downloads. Same with Melon as well, i remember they still include downloads but their charts are somehow a lot more resistant to fandom manipulations.

For chart watchers, it's time we all just band together and use only Melon 24 Hits, Melon Daily and Melon Weekly Charts when comparing a song's true popularity.

Nope he’s just more popular than your favs/idols.

I can fully believe his fanbase is an older fanbase that downloaded music instead of streaming. BGs are not getting these numbers. Making Gaon still an extremely accurate measure of true popularity.

Your favs and idols are just not making as much money nor are as popular as him nothing more.

• Then Gaon should rename the chart as the Official Song Revenue Chart so we know exactly what's being measured here. Not true popularity based on ULs, but how much money the song earns based on fandom downloads. Same with Melon as well, i remember they still include downloads but their charts are somehow a lot more resistant to fandom manipulations.

You know you can still use the Gaon Streaming Chart if all you want is streaming, right?

• Bugs gross, it's an irrelevant chart. I already do that with YT Premium, i get it when my faves comeback to boost their local charting. X(

then stream harder! don't let those ladies out stream you!

• It's the same debate as with the Hot 100. Should downloads count or not for the chart? Downloads only have a big impact in the first weeks, that's why most people don't bother.

These are the numbers for the 2021 Gaon Chart SOTM

Artist Song Digital Points # Streams # Downloads Stream Points
    (lin. reg.)
    Download Points
    (lin. reg.)
    % Download
    (lin. reg.)
    TAEYEON What Do I Call You 45,087,582 6,245,068 47,445 32,901,095 17,711,294 35%
    IU Celebrity 183,600,173 24,884,970 149,983 131,102,297 55,988,893 30%
    SHINee Don't Call Me 76,317,074 5,917,945 119,487 31,177,702 44,604,688 59%
    IU LILAC 187,001,087 25,658,308 146,607 135,176,499 54,728,627 29%
    Kang Daniel Antidote 72,397,455 420,149 187,626 2,213,485 70,041,085 97%
    BTS Butter 172,321,992 21,662,034 151,248 114,122,798 56,461,120 33%
    Brave Girls Chi Mat Ba Ram 118,466,171 16,097,206 81,677 84,805,434 30,490,155 26%
    BTS Permission to Dance 134,615,369 16,172,221 126,851 85,200,638 47,353,681 36%
    Red Velvet Queendom 91,863,512 12,879,726 62,709 67,854,679 23,409,370 26%
    Coldplay, BTS My Universe 98,124,234 12,452,506 85,619 65,603,942 31,961,709 33%
    IU strawberry moon 136,603,080 19,301,782 86,062 101,688,206 32,127,082 24%
    TWICE SCIENTIST 34,387,065 4,603,793 25,887 24,254,312 9,663,658 28%
  • i kinda lost interest in tracking charts after seeing all the manipulation and stuff. the tea is gaon isn't really an accurate thing to measure popularity as much as it once was. downloads are still weighted heavily in their formula which gives way to fandom manipulation, youtube music is the 2nd biggest streaming service in korea yet isn't accounted for on the chart, really weird

• Good BlackpinkHouse that you created a separate thread than bother me with your worn out theory.

But no, I won't join your proposed band. I still think Gaon Digital is the least flawed and best available aggregated representation of the popularity of a song in S.Korea.

I don't share your wild theories about fandoms nor your disparaging attitude towards them either.

• Tbh Korea music charting system has been a huge pile of shit for years. It's easily manipulated both by fans and bots. Also having so many stores means there's you never going to get an overarching result because 1 site could be download heavy, one could be have better offers, one could allow ifans to stream and so on.

• Tbh Korea music charting system has been a huge pile of shit for years. It's easily manipulated both by fans and bots. Also having so many stores means there's you never going to get an overarching result because 1 site could be download heavy, one could be have better offers, one could allow ifans to stream and so on.

But then what is the 'profit' in providing accurate measurements? Who is that going to benefit?

Fans are the only people who are emotionally invested and it profits all companies to keep the charts ambiguous, inaccurate etc., so that fans are kept emotionally involved.

At best the government can and that is KOMCA and Gaon.

I recollect the story how the US Congress rejected Edison's vote counting machine, because it made 'vote challenge' procedure impossible. Like that..

• i kinda lost interest in tracking charts after seeing all the manipulation and stuff. the tea is gaon isn't really an accurate thing to measure popularity as much as it once was. downloads are still weighted heavily in their formula which gives way to fandom manipulation, youtube music is the 2nd biggest streaming service in korea yet isn't accounted for on the chart, really weird

Tied for 2nd, with Melon still far ahead, for now.

Maybe with younger people YT may be close or even ahead of Melon.

How is YouTube performing as a music service in South Korea itself, though? New data suggests that it is growing fast, and challenging the established DSPs there.

The Korea Times has the story, reporting on new data from research firm Mobile Index. It suggests that YouTube Music has grown from a 1.7% share of the South Korean music streaming market in 2019 to 19.22% by the end of 2021.

That means YouTube Music has overtaken services like Flo (with its 13.31% share according to the research) and Vibe (4.08%) and is pretty much neck-and-neck with the second biggest service, Genie (19.24%).

The biggest DSP, Melon, is still some way ahead with a 37.28% market share. However, that has fallen from nearly 50% in 2018 according to the story, which adds that YouTube Music’s monthly active users grew from around 630,000 at the start of 2021 to 1.26m by the start of December.

https://musically.com/2022/01/…%20Genie%20%2819.24%25%29.

• There doesn't need to a profit to tracking stats does there? Having the company's name part of the chart is already a form of advertising (Gaon), it's not like counting numbers is worth something on it's own. Tracking numbers should just bea thing that is done as a formality or integrity.

Here the UK has The top 40 chart as . it's just a generic organisation that keeps track of sales. No one gives a shit about the organisation or even its brand, I mean iTunes and Spotify are much much bigger names than Top 40. The real prestige comes from the importance everyone from fans to music labels and artists put into hitting number 1.

That's how it should be in Korea and to an extent it is. But the way everything works/is calculated is jankey af.

• There doesn't need to a profit to tracking stats does there? Having the company's name part of the chart is already a form of advertising (Gaon), it's not like counting numbers is worth something on it's own. Tracking numbers should just bea thing that is done as a formality or integrity.

Here the UK has The top 40 chart as . it's just a generic organisation that keeps track of sales. No one gives a shit about the organisation or even its brand, I mean iTunes and Spotify are much much bigger names than Top 40. The real prestige comes from the importance everyone from fans to music labels and artists put into hitting number 1.

That's how it should be in Korea and to an extent it is. But the way everything works/is calculated is jankey af.

Gaon is that Non-profit generic organization in Korea.

Aren't you aware?

• I still think Gaon Digital is the least flawed and best available aggregated representation of the popularity of a song in S.Korea.

Not really, the least flawed way is ULs. Population that have heard the song is a better representation of popularity than sales, since you can't inflate people, but you can inflate sales.

But is youtube music 100% paid similar to spotify in korea? cause if it has a bunch of free users I can see why they not adding it

• Not really, the least flawed way is ULs. Population that have heard the song is a better representation of popularity than sales, since you can't inflate people, but you can inflate sales.

Yes, but ULs are n't provided by non-profit platform like Gaon.

So between ULs provided by the likes of distribution business like Melon and points provided by non-profit aggregator like Gaon, ..

Wish Gaon could provide ULs.

• Yes, but ULs are n't provided by non-profit platform like Gaon.

So between ULs provided by the likes of distribution business like Melon and points provided by non-profit aggregator like Gaon, ..

Wish Gaon could provide ULs.

But what would be the problem with a profit platform? do you think they could change the numbers on purpose or what?

• Zombie Streams don't impact Gaon charts.

NCT Dream did top the chart with Hot Sauce last year, and Favorite by 127 ended at #2.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

fat chance

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• But what would be the problem with a profit platform? do you think they could change the numbers on purpose or what?

The chances of them doing so to benefit their business is higher.

The best example is Arthur Andersen, who acted both as Auditors and Consultants to companies like Enron.

Auditors should have revealed the truth, but that would have affected their consulting business, so they hid the malpractices.

Similarly Melon is both a distribution company, was well as Chart managers, they might skew charts against those who don't distribute via them,

Not that I am aware of anything specific. But higher possibility is there

Hence the separation of duties, the regulator ideally shouldn't be anyone who would make profits from the business.

Gaon was established for that purpose, sure it relies on data from others, but at least with multiple sources, there is a better chance of accuracy than relying only on one.

• Tbh Korean charts are just messy. The way Gaon calculates its data is weird the fact they have to filter that much to show an accurate representation of what’s popular. Because it would be filled with mass streaming...

Also melon with their million charts reforms .

The site which is in charge of PAK...always removes a streaming platform and adds new one.

And the certifications is a mess Korea is definitely not the biggest market to gaon to be that severe with the streaming certifications

• This thread contains 3 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!