Should idols be punished for things they did at school?

• Should idols be punished for things they did at school? 105

1. Yes, if they did something bad (21) 20%
    2. No, it was so long ago! (20) 19%
    3. Depends on the severity of their actions (64) 61%

I just want to see what the consensus is on this. Personally I think people being punished retrospectively for any bad deed they did when they were kids seems way too severe. It feels rather Orwellian! Who can say they have never said or done something they later regret?

That being said, if someone did something truly horrific then I think there should be repercussions. What do you guys think?

• There is a thing called statue of limitations. When something happens after X many years, a person cannot press charges. I don't think the person making the claim, if true, should be completely dismissed. The celebrity can issue an apology so both parties can move on with their lives.

In the western world, I don't think people would be as empathetic unless the celebrity physically harmed people or grew into a bigger and bigger abusive monster over the years.

• I just want to see what the consensus is on this. Personally I think people being punished retrospectively for any bad deed they did when they were kids seems way too severe. It feels rather Orwellian! Who can say they have never said or done something they later regret?

Orwellian is the word indeed.

I replied "it depends". I lean towards the no, but of course, if we talking murder, rape, torture, it's an entirely different matter. Those things are not schoolyard quarrels. For other situations, a line has to be drawn somewhere. Nobody's gonna (nor should) hunt a 80yo disabled man down to his retirement home because he was a bully in middle school.

• It depends, but the same way some are dismissing how severe bullying is and how affected the victims feels with traumas, I would lean to the yes, they should be punished even if they are adult. If you break something, you need to pay for it.

And please, don't quote me if some are gonna say that victims should move on and be happy :rolleyes: I'm not talking about your faves. I'm talking in general, but it depends of the actions.

And yes, I was a normal kid who didn't find it funny to humiliate others kids too :clown: it's not hard to be a decent human being since young.

• Depends how bad the thing was. You don’t need to be a 100 year old to know that u shouldn’t hit your classmates, spit on them, make fun of them, scare them. They knew what they did was wrong amd still did it. Just because it’s in the past doesn’t mean it’s ok, any decent human being knows that, your faves are no exception and they deserve to lose their career if they actually did those things. However if it was something like just calling someone names then they definitely don’t deserve to be punished, the "victims" are just childish and should move on.

• I mean, if it was something less severe, like drinking or smoking, definitely not

But in case its something more serious, like bullying, if its confirms to be real, and then the accused part refuses to apologize, they should be punished, like removed from their group or something

• I don't trust knetz and their hypocrisy. They'll even fabricate rumors that a celebrity didn't attend a certain college and obtain such-and-such diploma, totally blowing up a scandal, and even when given proof multiple times, they refuse to believe it and keep harassing and pushing the issue that the artist has to sue for criminal defamation.

protector of the gharqad tree

tumblr_lkl136Bxsg1qbvbvxo1_500.gif

• I don't trust knetz and their hypocrisy. They'll even fabricate rumors that a celebrity didn't attend a certain college and obtain such-and-such diploma, totally blowing up a scandal, and even when given proof multiple times, they refuse to believe it and keep harassing and pushing the issue that the artist has to sue for criminal defamation.

Keep blaming knetz like usual......

I mean the Jimin/T-ara scandal was also knetz doing?

This is what the idol did themselves.

• Why do idiots on here act like bullying is always “your ugly don’t sit by me”?

Bullying plays a huge role in Koreas high suicide rate. I’m not saying every allegation is serious but you must at with caution you damn fools. There’s a lot of severe physical and mental abuse from bullying in Korea. Talking about they’re a changed person, you know an average person’s personality is set for life at 7 years old? This is a proven study from many credible sources of which you can find online.

The possibility of fame and success doesn’t change a person inside but it changes their image outside. So cut the bullshit, and no I’m not saying every alleged bully is a severe case, most of these cases are probably false but even if there’s a 1% chance of a single one being a real criminal bully case then everyone should be cautious and stop saying “everyone changes” “I know they’re not like that now”. Don’t kill a possible victim twice.

• No fan knows the real idols, I can only judge them based on what is shown on camera and what their coworkers say about them.

If they apparently changed their previous bad behaviour and have apologized about it to the offended party, I have no issue.

Yet again how would you know that? I’m not saying any of these are true but your statement can be easily refuted. Hate to be the one that says this....but the company builds images for a reason....it’s part of the contract.

• Why do idiots on here act like bullying is always “your ugly don’t sit by me”?

Bullying plays a huge role in Koreas high suicide rate. I’m not saying every allegation is serious but you must at with caution you damn fools. There’s a lot of severe physical and mental abuse from bullying in Korea. Talking about they’re a changed person, you know an average person’s personality is set for life at 7 years old? This is a proven study from many credible sources of which you can find online.

The possibility of fame and success doesn’t change a person inside but it changes their image outside. So cut the bullshit, and no I’m not saying every alleged bully is a severe case, most of these cases are probably false but even if there’s a 1% chance of a single one being a real criminal bully case then everyone should be cautious and stop saying “everyone changes” “I know they’re not like that now”. Don’t kill a possible victim twice.

isn't there anti-bullying campaign in SK schools :?:

• I’m not saying every allegation is serious

That's the point. Every case has to be evaluated based on its own characteristics. There's no need talking about physical and emotional scars, suicide rate and such IF the case at hand revolves around schoolyard quarrels. It's even fallacious to always bring up in the conversation the worst case scenarios; it inevitably throws a darker shade on the current case and instill a bias in the public's mind.

So yes, bullying and suicide rate is a serious issue in Korea. But it shouldn't be brought up every single time when we discuss AN INDIVIDUAL CASE. Micro =/= macro.

• Saying past is past is like saying that someone who killed someone 10 years ago and wasnt caught should just be living on like normal.

Ofc it depends on how bad it was and I would just disregard stupid shit a lot of teenagers do sometimes which is not severe. Also things people did under 11/12 because most of them dont fully understand yet.

But if you bullied someone severely for them to develop major problems during the bullying and years after, maybe even considering suicide or wishing to transfer? All while you where old enough to know way better? Then I dont even care if it was 25 years ago, you have to pay for that shit.

Someone who tortures someone to the point where they develop mental problems and might even kill themselves doesnt deserve to live a happy bubbly life. Why do you all care for the career of such people? They are trash. Most people like that dont actually change, they just learn to be more discreet. And even the few who do, they are still trash. Good that they changed, but at some point of their life they seriously scared another person for years to come, killing them slowly every day. What kind of sane person would do that? And why would such a person actually deserve forgiveness if they didnt go out of their way in some way to earn it?

• Yet again how would you know that? I’m not saying any of these are true but your statement can be easily refuted. Hate to be the one that says this....but the company builds images for a reason....it’s part of the contract.

that's why the decision to forgive or punish should firstly belong to the real victim, the one who had a personal interaction with the idol, not fans and antis who know nothing about their real lives

• They should have been punished in school. It is more of school's failure to provide victims help and encourage them to come forward to have at least mediate and punished the bully. But here we are, years passed and let them bear it as they grow old. The school guidance counselor should have known by now that bullying in school exists and should have at least provided measures to prevent this from happening!

• that's why the decision to forgive or punish should firstly belong to the real victim, the one who had a personal interaction with the idol, not fans and antis who know nothing about their real lives

No sensible justice system puts the responsibilty of punishment in the hands of the victim. True justice is unbiased; that's why jurys are composed of people who are total strangers to both the accuser and the defender. Otherwise it's just arbitrary.

• They should have been punished in school. It is more of school's failure to provide victims help and encourage them to come forward to have at least mediate and punished the bully. But here we are, years passed and let them bear it as they grow old. The school guidance counselor should have known by now that bullying in school exists and should have at least provided measures to prevent this from happening!

So it’s the school’s fault that someone decided to be a shitty person. Of course school should have done something about it, but the bully is still the number one person at fault

• No sensible justice system puts the responsibilty of punishment in the hands of the victim. True justice is unbiased; that's why jurys are composed of people who are total strangers to both the accuser and the defender. Otherwise it's just arbitrary.

Well yes in the case of crimes we have jurys, but what do we have when the idol is accused of let's say bad attitude?

• I mean... like, if they were torturing kittens or something, then they’re probably a sociopath and shouldn’t be in the public eye.

But, honestly, I think if you can look into your past and say you’ve never done anything stupid or malicious either accidentally or otherwise, then you’re either a saint or deluded. It is pretty terrifying to me that as a society we might be moving towards always penalising people for what they were like as an actual child. I am totally different to how I was as 25, let alone 14 or 15. I don’t know anyone I knew then who hasn’t changed dramatically. The process of growing up, by its very nature, is making mistakes and doing stupid things and learning from them how to be a better human.

• So it’s the school’s fault that someone decided to be a shitty person. Of course school should have done something about it, but the bully is still the number one person at fault

It's on the society for sure. In an ideal world, kids shouldn't have to protect themselves, whether from adults or other kids. It's the adults' responsibility to protect their children ie. parents, school administration, government. If you let kids run themselves and deal with their own shit, you end up with Lord of the Flies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_the_Flies

So definitely yes, it's the adults' job to take care of their kids, both in terms of protection and punishment.

• So it’s the school’s fault that someone decided to be a shitty person. Of course school should have done something about it, but the bully is still the number one person at fault

Yes, they are somehow at fault! They are the institution where this children are... and they have the power over this shitty person to punished at! These also are children in their formative years... so who's gonna say to this shitty person that what he/she done is wrong? What I'm saying here is that the school could have provided this victims an assurance to come forward (I know its not easy) so that this bullies could have been punished right there and then... not like this that after years have passed!

• This thread contains 73 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!