Do you think variety jobs and appearances take away from artistic image of idols?

• Do you think variety jobs and appearances take away from artistic image of idols?

Recently Key mentioned kids at supermarket calls him the ajusshi that leaves alone. Even on few instances before he mentioned since he got popular in variety, people are forgetting his musical career and he is not happy with it.

There have been other idols who left the variety scene so they can be taken more seriously on their acting careers like Hyeri.

The variety members solos are also often passed on by the fandoms.

Do you find this to be generally true?

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It does to the younger generation. Like I've seen people be surprised that Ice T, Ice Cube, and Queen Latifah were rappers and just thought they were actors.

• It does to the younger generation. Like I've seen people be surprised that Ice T, Ice Cube, and Queen Latifah were rappers and just thought they were actors.

I have no clue who those people are bless your heart

• That’s part of being an idol though, it’s more than just music. I guess it can affect different parts of their careers but tbh that happens with a lot of celebs particularly with younger generations. You’d be surprised how often these days many actors are simply known as their characters from Marvel with little to knowledge of their other works.

My cousin likes Star Lord a lot and I suggest he watch Parks and Recreation starring of course Chris Pratt. “What, Chris Pratt used to do TV not just films? That must have been aaaaaaages ago. I don’t want to watch old stuff”. He’s 14 and thinks something that’s almost the same age as him is ancient :pepefacepalm:

• Ah I think as we grow older we understand that people have multiple facets to both their personal and professional image so it's honestly alright if they have two contrasting image's one that's linked to their music.

The general public or younger fans might have a different take. Since an idol career is usally extremely short (not talking about key he's been in the industry for over a decade) if their musical persona overshadows their career then that'll be the image that's tied to them, if their variety show persona overshadows their career then that's the image the public will hold. Either way the image thats marketed or goes viral will be how they are remembered.

It must be a very frustrating thing to go through though.

Desbundar

• That’s part of being an idol though, it’s more than just music. I guess it can affect different parts of their careers but tbh that happens with a lot of celebs particularly with younger generations. You’d be surprised how often these days many actors are simply known as their characters from Marvel with little to knowledge of their other works.

My cousin likes Star Lord a lot and I suggest he watch Parks and Recreation starring of course Chris Pratt. “What, Chris Pratt used to do TV not just films? That must have been aaaaaaages ago. I don’t want to watch old stuff”. He’s 14 and thinks something that’s almost the same age as him is ancient :pepefacepalm:

It does to the younger generation. Like I've seen people be surprised that Ice T, Ice Cube, and Queen Latifah were rappers and just thought they were actors.

so its a universal problem not just an idol problem?

hmm

I guess I never noticed it in other industries bc I dont pay them as much attention

• Ah I think as we grow older we understand that people have multiple facets to both their personal and professional image so it's honestly alright if they have two contrasting image's one that's linked to their music.

The general public or younger fans might have a different take. Since an idol career is usally extremely short (not talking about key he's been in the industry for over a decade) if their musical persona overshadows their career then that'll be the image that's tied to them, if their variety show persona overshadows their career then that's the image the public will hold. Either way the image thats marketed or goes viral will be how they are remembered.

It must be a very frustrating thing to go through though.

"the ajusshi that lives alone" sounds insulting even if his music career wasnt on the line lmao ^^

• Probably but that's what you kind of sign up for when you get into this industry as said above.

At least the fans that see through that are the ones you really want to associate with anyways.

• I'm leaning towards no. Almost all korean celebrities, actors, singers, idols etc., go on variety shows. It doesn't seem to have a negative impact on them

I think going to varieties as guests to promote their other works is different than being a cast member and has different impacts.

• Probably but that's what you kind of sign up for when you get into this industry as said above.

At least the fans that see through that are the ones you really want to associate with anyways.

Kids pointing at him in supermarket is abit bitter sweet though

its like younger generation knows him but not for what he really does

• Kids pointing at him in supermarket is abit bitter sweet though

its like younger generation knows him but not for what he really does

sad but you know

they just little kiddies :pepe-pray:

• I think going to varieties as guests to promote their other works is different than being a cast member and has different impacts.

As someone else said as long as they're still more known for being singers than variety show personalities I don't think there's an issue. And it might differ from age group to age group. Like Daesung was one of the most well known Bigbang members with elder citizens because he went on so many variety shows and they just knew him from that. But in other age groups he was obviously more known as a singer

• It takes away from the mystique and larger-than-life aura idols often have, but that's not a bad thing. Keeping that image up can be exhausting and sometimes it could be perceived as overly manufactured. I think it's great when idols show their personal side.

interesting point

It is freeing in many other ways

• diversification in one's career as an idol is a good thing

since from that very quote

On Fridays, he’s an ahjussi who lives alone. On Saturdays, he’s an ahjussi who guesses song and dances well

it means he's appealed to a lot more people than fans within his fandom...even if just 1% of those I live Alone or AS viewers check out one of key's or shinee's songs then it's worth it no?

one could also say that but for I live Alone or AS those people would never have know key existed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!