Let's talk about idols getting military service exemption!

• I love it.

Idols are disrespected and not taken seriously by most of the GP. They are undermined for being successful because of their visuals, wearing makeup all the time, living in fantasy worlds and not making much.

And those who turn out rich are downplayed for earning much when they don't do anything important.

I think that this can get the idols exempted some serious respect for their hard work and achievements especially their contribution to Korea in different ways.

What do you think?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by sonemariam ().

• we should rather talk about spreading good influence bout Korean culture, cities, food etc.

I've already seen Korean posts debunking whole 'economy' impact (as album sales) because they've said that big conglomerates like Samsung, LG, Hyundai, Kakao, NCsoft are also bringing tons of money to country so major people working there should also get exemptions :wink:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• i dont think getting exemptions will get them any respect

those who respect them will continue respecting them, others will only have resentment

but if the media doesn't bring it up every 2 days, the gp will move to the next big news

Thing is, I don't think the GP understands the important role that idols play for Korea. Exemption will draw attention to that so many will take it seriously.

• i think we should consume kpop as fans and not get involved in military exemption politics because frankly speaking most of us here are not koreans. this is a topic only koreans can speak on since it involves their people and their country:thumbup:

• I prefer idols to do their service like Super Junior and SHINee did. They felt so proud for it and none of them regretted doing it. I think it's good for an idol and can be character building and life changing.

I agree and I think it should be optional for those who qualify because idols do a lot or even much more than some of the non idols who get exempted.

Enlisting is a cool experience especially for those who are healthy and happy.

• Why not, make military service not mandatory instead?

:pepe-big-brain::pepe-big-brain:

Imagine if there really is a full fledge war, realistically the country will just be nuked all those years of military training ain't gonna save yourself from a nuclear bomb

As long SK have a strong army north Korea won't attack. With mandatory service the army will loose numbers and nk may feel invited to attack.

If there will be war SK gets nuked and kpop is done. So it's better to just send the bg for some month to the army than instead risking loosing all of kpop.

Edit: of course SK could build a foreign Legion. If 100k kpop fangirls would be willing to serve instead of their faves. This could also be a solution.

• Why not, make military service not mandatory instead?

:pepe-big-brain::pepe-big-brain:

Imagine if there really is a full fledge war, realistically the country will just be nuked all those years of military training ain't gonna save yourself from a nuclear bomb

Yes, but what happens if there is a full-fledged war and nukes aren't used and there's need for groud or actual soldiers?

With a neighbor like North Korea, they should be ready, however enlistment should be optional for high achievers contributing to the growth of Korea in different ways.

• the military exemption will happen if the top of the goverment is kpop stan, but right now it isnt.. so...

• As long SK have a strong army north Korea won't attack. With mandatory service the army will loose numbers and nk may feel invited to attack.

If there will be war SK gets nuked and kpop is done. So it's better to just send the bg for some month to the army than instead risking loosing all of kpop.

Edit: of course SK could build a foreign Legion. If 100k kpop fangirls would be willing to serve instead of their faves. This could also be a solution.

:pepe-high-five:

• I prefer idols to do their service like Super Junior and SHINee did. They felt so proud for it and none of them regretted doing it. I think it's good for an idol and can be character building and life changing.

Not at you mentioning SHINee when Taemin's mental health worsened during his service...

Granted, I can see what you mean, but it really isn't a one size fits all kind deal. It really isn't.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• the military exemption will happen if the top of the goverment is kpop stan, but right now it isnt.. so...

That's just what I'm talking about, Kpop lacks fans in top government positions because it's not taken seriously.

There's need to emphasize the importance of Kpop to such people and the GP at large.

And IMO, that can start with exemptions.

• As long SK have a strong army north Korea won't attack. With mandatory service the army will loose numbers and nk may feel invited to attack.

I think a problem is that most I-fans are unaware that Korea is still officially at war (most/all countries officially at war have mandatory military service) with constant micro-attacks not reported in western media since it’s not big enough news.

• we should rather talk about spreading good influence bout Korean culture, cities, food etc.

I've already seen Korean posts debunking whole 'economy' impact (as album sales) because they've said that big conglomerates like Samsung, LG, Hyundai, Kakao, NCsoft are also bringing tons of money to country so major people working there should also get exemptions :wink:

Then there's need to revise the law on who should be exempted.

why are most men on akp like this? why?

• That's just what I'm talking about, Kpop lacks fans in top government positions because it's not taken seriously.

There's need to emphasize the importance of Kpop to such people and the GP at large.

And IMO, that can start with exemptions.

yeah and thats really hard to do, how can this old fart like kpop

worst case scenario is they hate it..

• i think we should consume kpop as fans and not get involved in military exemption politics because frankly speaking most of us here are not koreans. this is a topic only koreans can speak on since it involves their people and their country.

Korea's politicians have publicly discussed this and international fans play a big role in the idol's success so it's a thing.

And it's just a discussion on what people think.

• elvis-presley-drafted-newspaper-army-st-louis_1_7a6b9414ea1af02224ccaf41e52d928a.jpg

• Yes, but what happens if there is a full-fledged war and nukes aren't used and there's need for groud or actual soldiers?

With a neighbor like North Korea, they should be ready, however enlistment should be optional for high achievers contributing to the growth of Korea in different ways.

Oh if it's a full fledge war it will be used

• Not at you mentioning SHINee when Taemin's mental health worsened during his service...

Granted, I can see what you mean, but it really isn't a one size fits all kind deal. It really isn't.

I was mainly talking about Super Junior as I was a fan when they went in the Army. They all did a good job and I was proud of them especially Donghae. I think it should stay compulsory and as my late father served in Korea also although he volunteered and I was so proud of him serving for his country. I think it can be a great thing for an idol and an experience they all seem proud of and it's only 2 years out of their life.

• I agree and I think it should be optional for those who qualify because idols do a lot or even much more than some of the non idols who get exempted.

Enlisting is a cool experience especially for those who are healthy and happy.

As I said, I agree with the idea and think it should stay the way it is. I haven't heard of too many idols complaining about their time in the Army or Military Police. My late father also served in Korea.

• If korea was smart they would make military a career with livable wage and benefits... and well as making it desirable for women.

Yeah, they should have such offers.

• As I said, I agree with the idea and think it should stay the way it is. I haven't heard of too many idols complaining about their time in the Army or Military Police. My late father also served in Korea.

Nice, he must be proud.

I don't think all Korean men who serve do it willingly. I've heard of celebrities who tried to forge their way out of it but were caught and forced to enlist. I think Psy also had a enlistment scandal.

• I think that this can get the idols exempted some serious respect for their hard work and achievements especially their contribution to Korea in different ways.

LMAO... so kids that sing and dance deserve exemptions for doing such hard, unrespected work when there are people barely scrapping by, making minimum wage upholding society doing sanitation, construction, service jobs, how about they get exemptions first?

• yeah and thats really hard to do, how can this old fart like kpop

worst case scenario is they hate it..

They need to start living and thinking young like Kpop! 8o

• If korea was smart they would make military a career with livable wage and benefits... and well as making it desirable for women.

They allready doing this.

While men get drafted and not well paid. They also have professional, well paid soldiers. But it's more expensive.

Women also can go. Unlike the male conscripts they get proper payments and also start with a rank higher than the men. But the women are in general very hesitant to join the army.

• why are most men on akp like this? why?

Can you only whining or can you argue? What is the problem?

Every few weeks there is a thread about military exemption where people that have no clue about SK or how serious the situation for SK is. talking about stuff that they don't know anything about.

So how can you take these threads and comments seriously?

My girls allready finished their time, serving the military. So I can watch these threads with ease. Lol.

• Not at you mentioning SHINee when Taemin's mental health worsened during his service...

I was going to quote her/him for the same thing, Taemin really went through hard times during his military service so using SHINee is not a good example.

Despite of it, doing the service is still the right thing for him and his mental health. Remember what Key said ILA, service is like a boogy man that will chase him until he is done with it. There are really two options on the table:

1. Finish an exemplary service
    2. Be ostracized by your society for the rest of time

Anything less than an exemplary service would have became a stick they will beat him with it over and over and over again.

Koreans wont have a social revolution and change their mind over night, heck they wont even change for the next 10 years.

External Content www.youtube.com

• Despite of it, doing the service is still the right thing for him and his mental health. Remember what Key said ILA, service is like a boogy man that will chase him until he is done with it. There are really two options on the table:

1. Finish an exemplary service
    2. Be ostracized by your society for the rest of time

Anything less than an exemplary service would have became a stick they will beat him with it over and over and over again.

Koreans wont have a social revolution and change their mind over night, heck they wont even change for the next 10 years.

It's not even that I think he shouldn't have went to service but idk acting like it's something great or beneficial for every person who went to it rubs me the wrong way.

Ideally, if Korea keeps their mandatory service, they should somehow reform it to make it easier to manage mental health and more.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• Their country, their rules. But forcing even people with mental problems to do this is not right. Period.

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• This thread contains 47 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!