Weki Meki is the only remaining 3rd generation girl group which neither had success so far, nor disbanded (either officially or unofficially)

• Anyway, what do you guys think future holds for Weki Meki? 35

1. Will disband once member contracts come to an end in 2 years (28) 80%
    2. Will eventually succeed cause the discography is too damn good to go unnoticed (7) 20%

Source

The only girl group whom I totally pitty, they were really unlucky. Their pre debut hype got wasted with some really weird concept and song choices, then some weird stuff started happening in Fantagio, constant CEO and owner changes (5-6 in last 3 years), company being delisted from Korea Entertainment Management Association. All of these took a real toll on them, despite the fact that they've been putting out some real gems since 2019, like Picky Picky, Oopsy, Cool, Siesta.

Good debut is very important in Kpop, if Ive didn't do well with their debut they were risking to go the exact same path and I am glad they avoided it. Now there was a rescue path for them through Queendom and news were coming that they're in the lineup but whether it was hoax from beginning or Msnake wasn't so happy with Kep1er's sales and they made last moment changes remains unclear.

Now, as a 5 year old girl group they either need a Brave Girls viral moment or through some other survival show.

• Correct me if I am wrong because I don't follow this group, but they never won a music show, right? I've heard that's a requirement for Queendom.

Again though, correct me if I'm wrong.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• Correct me if I am wrong because I don't follow this group, but they never won a music show, right? I've heard that's a requirement for Queendom.

This has never been officially announced, it is just something fans spread around as "explanation".

I think you're right.

Don't know why Weki Meki was 4th gen in my mind by the way

Also, stream

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• No, it is not. What fans are referring to is the words of producer on Queendom who said that they looked through the catalogue of Mcountdown winners when choosing for the first season. But funny thing, Lovelyz never won on MCountdown, they only won on The Show. Neither did Park Bom

• You're right.

The only active 3rd gen groups are BlackTwiceVelvet, Mamamoo, Oh My Girl for the top tier, Momoland and Laboum for the 1 hit wonders, then WJSN, Dreamcatcher & Weki Meki.

WJSN have quiet popularity in Korea, they're like #10 on top 10 ggs of 3rd gen + Bona blowing up. Dreamcatcher have found a niche overseas that will sustain them for a long time.

Weki Meki is left...Yoojung is still doing really well on variety, she's everywhere with Aiki (from SWF) + on Amazing Saturday. She has a decent K-fanabse.

Doyeon has her $$ from brand endorsements (esp w/Bobbi Brown Korea + some minor drama work.

I really agree Fantagio fumbled the bag. Doyeon has the face to go high-fashion international, like Jung Hoyeon, Yoojung is a stellar idol, and the rest of the group isn't lacking either. They're very vocally talented, 3-4 of the group supports, [Suyeon, Elly, Yoojung + Lua], great songs + dances, and their concept is amazing.

They did WeMe even worse than Hello Venus.

Dreamer95 MNET said a first win was not a requirement for Queendom Season 1, but it was really with Kingdom + the selection disaster where MNET producers made the rule to only let groups with a win join a Kingdom/Queendom season, and the rest on Road to King/Queendom. With the press conference for Queendom 2, MNET confirmed that rule was being held for S2. It didn't exist for S1.

• If we are talking about active 3rd gen groups, I think this song should become viral! :pepe-dj:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• WJSN have quiet popularity in Korea, they're like #10 on top 10 ggs of 3rd gen + Bona blowing up. Dreamcatcher have found a niche overseas that will sustain them for a long time.

Weki Meki is left...Yoojung is still doing really well on variety, she's everywhere with Aiki (from SWF) + on Amazing Saturday. She has a decent K-fanabse.

Doyeon has her $$ from brand endorsements (esp w/Bobbi Brown Korea + some minor drama work.

Dreamcatcher is doing amazing. As a somnia myself I seriously don't understand some fans who still pity them. With their concept, they will always have food on the table. They are like Korea's Babymetal, holding a profitable niche.

Dreamer95 MNET said a first win was not a requirement for Queendom Season 1, but it was really with Kingdom + the selection disaster where MNET producers made the rule to only let groups with a win join a Kingdom/Queendom season, and the rest on Road to King/Queendom. With the press conference for Queendom 2, MNET confirmed that rule was being held for S2. It didn't exist for S1.

I wasn't aware of this press conference. So is it MCountdown win or a win in general? Ideally they could do a Road to Queendom first with lesser known ggs like Weki Meki, Rocket Punch, Everglow.

• Somehow you listed every song of theirs but their best one and a SOTY contender. X(

And yes, they are criminally underrated. They deserve so much more, just like Everglow, Loona, Cherry Bullet.

• Regarding your list of 3rd gen groups, i think Blackpink, Twice, Red Velvet, Oh My Girl, Dreamcatcher, WJSN and Weki are the only ones that should be considered active. I cant remember the last Momoland or Laboum comeback and Mamamoo is a group in name only i think.

• Successful?

Like Oh My girl, a top group?

successful like WJSN?, no hits, but is not nugu.

successful like momoland, 2 hit wonders?

DIA is still not officially disbanded.

Elris is rebranding as Alice and they are coming back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_(South_Korean_girl_group)

BTW if each generation is 6 years, then the 5th Generation will start in 2024?

• i don't see them continuing at all unless they get massively viral like you said. siesta was a great song, but it had a 7 dollar budget i think fantagio has pretty much gave up on them and will let them run their course with the minimum effort required. what a waste, they honestly have it all.

Regarding your list of 3rd gen groups, i think Blackpink, Twice, Red Velvet, Oh My Girl, Dreamcatcher, WJSN and Weki are the only ones that should be considered active. I cant remember the last Momoland or Laboum comeback and Mamamoo is a group in name only i think.

mml came back this year and both laboum and mamamoo late last year, if we're basing that on last comeback bp's the odd one out :pepe-cop:

• Regarding your list of 3rd gen groups, i think Blackpink, Twice, Red Velvet, Oh My Girl, Dreamcatcher, WJSN and Weki are the only ones that should be considered active. I cant remember the last Momoland or Laboum comeback and Mamamoo is a group in name only i think.

• Somehow you listed every song of theirs but their best one and a SOTY contender. X(

I really loved the "Dazzle dazzle dazzle me" part but overall the song not so much.

And yes, they are criminally underrated. They deserve so much more, just like Everglow, Loona, Cherry Bullet.

I don't know about Cherry Bullet, something is wrong with that group. The way how 3 member just left without any explanation kinda gives me a bad image of them.

Ehm, yes? All of that is a success like it or not. If you dismiss it then we really shouldn't call anyone but Twice successful.

Also 2 hit wonders? lmfao That itself sounds ridiculous. Lets call Gfriend a 4 hit wonder and OMG 3 hit wonders while at it.

DIA is still not officially disbanded.

Well good to know, that's exactly why title says "either official or unofficially". Both Dia and CLC lost half of their member with other half doing their own thing and barely having any group activity in last 2 years. That's called unofficially disbanded.

Elris is rebranding as Alice and they are coming back.

Well, Dreamcatcher did it and now their debut year is always counted from 2017 and not from 2014 as MINX, so they even refer to Wendy with honorifics, they wouldn't have if MINX was counted. So what I am saying whoever this Elris/Alice is they are now a 2022 debut and 4th gen group.

• i don't see them continuing at all unless they get massively viral like you said. siesta was a great song, but it had a 7 dollar budget i think fantagio has pretty much gave up on them and will let them run their course with the minimum effort required. what a waste, they honestly have it all.

mml came back this year and both laboum and mamamoo late last year, if we're basing that on last comeback bp's the odd one out :pepe-cop:

Stop cluttering up my argument with facts, i'm tryna prep another "Third Age of Kpop is over" soliloquy X(

• Well, Dreamcatcher did it and now their debut year is always counted from 2017 and not from 2014 as MINX, so they even refer to Wendy with honorifics, they wouldn't have if MINX was counted. So what I am saying whoever this Elris/Alice is they are now a 2022 debut and 4th gen group.

Elris and Alice are basically the same name with a different spelling. In Korean the pronunciation is the same so it's nothing like Minx and Dreamcatcher.

• FNC isn't the best agency.

DIA will probably be disbanding, and CLC is as good as done too.

Weki Meki [ironically the one that fits 4th gen concepts most] is the only non-top gg besides arguably Laboum. And Laboum have a decently strong Kfanbase because of JTA.

Elris is actually more of a continuation - they moved to another company and changed names + stage names because of copyright issues. It's more like BEAST/Highlight except the group didn't break up.

• Only YG can compete when it comes to controversies.

I call that unofficial disbandment, they definitely ain't getting back together for a comeback.

The only positive think for Weki Meki right now is that if Mnet or any other broadcast decides to have a pity play in their next girl group survival show, like they did with Nuest, then Weki Meki is their only option.

Another option is through individual promotions, like how Btob, Oh My Girl managed to climb. Fantagio has a good acting department from what I know. And they even released member profiles for that recently

Weki Meki members reveal sophisticated new profile photos for their individual promotions in 2022 | allkpop

I am really curious to watch this group's fate in next few years.

• Oh, do I have a rant over this.

Weki Meki debut one day after WannaOne,

Oh, do I have a rant over this.

The hype was real over Yoojung and Doyeon after I.O.I disbanded.

Even tho I'm used to it now and I love the group name, I remember thinking how weird it sounded when I first heard "Weki Meki". Most people hear the name and disreguard them as "too childish", so they never give them a chance. People don't even know how to say it. Same goes for the fandom "Ki-Ling", it literally sounds like killing.

Weki Meki debuted one day after WANNA ONE, on Blackpink's first anniversary.

Also, after their debut didn't go as planned and people didn't really like the song, instead of giving them a great comeback as soon as possible, their company actually announced that the comeback is indefinitely delayed, then they released Butterfly as a promotional single that nobody asked for, and fans were extremely confused because it wasn't a K-pop sounding song. Then they released "Lucky" teaser track instead of La La La music video teaser, which made zero sense to me. They basically lost all the hype after these things.

A new generation of K-pop started in 2018 with Itzy's debut, a new Produce series started and after IZ*ONE debut, the I.O.I girls became irrelevant to general public.

• It's really unfortunate. MNET has Road to MAX, maybe they can send Weki Meki there. I just voted for them to go.

Yoojung and Doyeon fanbases want Weki Meki to disband fast, as Gugudan disbanding did well for Sejeong and even Mina's careers. Nayoung got left behind..:(. But while Weki Meki are unsuccessful they’re not flopping like Gugudan was. Ignoring their first two mini albums , Weki Meki sell 16-20k a release, thats 200k-280k in revenue. Dia sells 7-12k with Chaeyeon's hiatus [peaked at like 30k in 2017 with Love Generation]. Also Weki Meki doesn't get any photocards and stuff like the other groups, since Fantiago cheapens out on them.

It's very likely that it + Yoojung's various variety schedules, Doyeon's $$ endorsements, that they've broken even in costs. It's not like Weki Meki have really expensive sets + costumes, so production costs aren't as high. Also they only have like 1 comeback a year for that reason.

Fantiago has good acting connections for sure, acting training is pretty decent. Poor Eunwoo is probably the worst actor in his group as he had the least training.

The thing that confuses me is that Weki Meki have some extremely talented and artistic people in their group. Why not let Suyeon produce for comebacks? She's good at it + has the sound down pat but they don't let her. It'll cut down costs they can send towards photocards. K-photocard collectors would build up sales.

• It's really unfortunate. MNET has Road to MAX, maybe they can send Weki Meki there. I just voted for them to go.

I still have 0 idea what that show actually is about. And if it is all about voting and there is no gender segregation then they'll just get eaten by mid tier boy group fandoms.

Well I might get hate for this but I'll say it nevertheless, they seriously lack in visuals. Like if we compare with Ive and Lesserafim, people checked them out because of WoonyoungxYujin, SakuraxChaewon but then noticed other members and multiple of them got trending for their visuals.

With Weki Meki Doyeon and Yoojung are their main visuals, other members don't come close. Well, maybe Lucy a bit and that's it. That of course is not problem, not everyone has to have visuals to succeed but if it is not the visuals then it is the talent that you push and in this regards company did nothing, absolute 0.

• Since May 2022, the only activity has been Yoojung with her single Sunflower.

I have not heard any news of concerts or activity in music shows, even everglow went to an awards show and performed.

Their last comeback was “NEW RULES” on October 8, 2020.

Not much hope for this group.

They debuted August of 2017. So they still have about 1.5 years left in their contract.

9 releases in their first 3+ years, nothing since then (as a group).

• You missed Siesta/Album "I am me" in Nov 2021 but it's ok I forgot about that too.

• If we are talking about active 3rd gen groups, I think this song should become viral! :pepe-dj:

External Content youtu.be

The first time I heard of this song was on allkpop forums where someone said "This is way more fresh than Itzy" and linked this. (It was about two months after Itzy - Icy)

Recently the group officially disbanded

• This thread contains 5 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!