Generalization in kpop makes no sense..

• something i don't understand, especially recently.

Is generalizing whole fandoms due to the actions of a few here or a few there.

The reason why this makes no sense.... is.... fandoms is a fictional concept, there is no 'offical' stamp.. the whole basis of being in a fandom Is a self choice.. it's a strange concept.

With that being said, why create narritives of fandoms based on others who identify as 'fandommer' ??

Even if you meet 100 of fandom A and every last one of them was in your opinion unpleasant, the idea of generalizing every person also identifying as this fandom does not make sense, and quite frankly shows your simple minded thinking.

There is no such thing as a general behavior of certain fandoms.. we are all just... random people who have 1 common interest we like a group, it does not connect humans and their morals together....

You can be a toxic horrible person but still go to a concert and support a group, does this mean you ate a true fandommer? If you anti other groups? If you want to be well then you are!!! There's no such thing as a 'official fan' we are just common humans who each should be judged individually on our traits and personality...

Being part of a fandom does not mean anything in regards to your personality.... its a fictional concept that we take too far sometimes..stop generalising.

Dont do so negatively, or positively.. neither make sense.. we are just humans.

• Go to Best Answer
  • I guess there is a clique like behavior that's seen among some people in the fandom.

Also all generalization and stereotypes aren't always wrong. They do come from an observed set of behavior from a group/fandom.

*•.¸♡ 𝔸𝐫In ♡¸.•*

2d6c54bfd7e864b92a5f1704b161d7abf83b3216.jpg 64410b66a48c9a4172c4236594e45105cd3506eb.jpg 8e7e55161c99117ffd0493d1284b95069e9d40ba.jpg

• Ok but side note, statistically speaking if you met 100 of them and it's all shitty chance it is shitty due to the Law of Large Numbers

• Even if you meet 100 of fandom A and every last one of them was in your opinion unpleasant, the idea of generalizing every person also identifying as this fandom does not make sense, and quite frankly shows your simple minded thinking.

There is no such thing as a general behavior of certain fandoms.. we are all just... random people who have 1 common interest we like a group, it does not connect humans and their morals together....

Yes and no. It's the basic human learning process. You pick a funny looking mushroom in the woods; you eat it and vomit your guts out. Next time you probably not gonna pick the same looking mushroom. You not gonna say "oh maybe it was just the first one that was bad". So yes, humans function this way, even unconsciously.

Now of course, people are not mushrooms. But if you interact with, lets say, one blink. They're annoying af. Another blink: annoying af. A third blink: annoying af. You gonna start seeing a pattern and connecting the dots. Whatever the reason, maybe this group draws to it a particular demographic that you don't resonate with at all. It's possible. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, only that it's very human to proceed this way. It's not that problematic as long as you don't become very zealous about it.

• Generalizations in general makes no sense

I think it can be applied to in certain situations...

like, for example... you could generalize that all doctors like helping people, or that.. all army officers dont have a problem gunning someone, where this an actualy common interest that holds some sort of value to the discussion i can see where generalizing makes things easier..

'New zealand likes rugby' I dont mind that.. cause most here do... we have stats to back that up... but 'Most Fandom B is toxic' that is not something you can back up at all....

• There are some repetitive patterns in cerain fandoms.There is also toxic behavior in any fandom,some you can tolerate because not everyone in the fandom is like that,but fandom do get affected by this clique/cult like behavior and start to behave the same...

There is a reason why fandoms are viewed a certain way,I wish they weren’t...but it is what it is... :-(

• Best Answer

Exactly!

That's what i'm always trying to tell people. You can not generalize fandoms like that. I don't want to be seen as part of some imaginative unity and judged upon what one random person from the other part of the world said or did. Of course, we like the same artist, we maybe have some things in common, but it doesn't mean we think anything alike.

I want to be judged based on my actions and my words. Also no one else needs to be judged based on them or based on me.

• I think it can be applied to in certain situations...

like, for example... you could generalize that all doctors like helping people, or that.. all army officers dont have a problem gunning someone, where this an actualy common interest that holds some sort of value to the discussion i can see where generalizing makes things easier..

'New zealand likes rugby' I dont mind that.. cause most here do... we have stats to back that up... but 'Most Fandom B is toxic' that is not something you can back up at all....

I said it because making a statement about something, and encompassing all kind of people/things as having certain trait/behavior/characteristic is just unfair, because not everyone/thing is equal and some situations that could've occurred, don't really make a point to be taken as 100% valid about that thing/people.

But I also understand those generalization that are used as "common knowledge" by most people, but I was talking about the "bad" ones.

• Yes and no. It's the basic human learning process. You pick a funny looking mushroom in the woods; you eat it and vomit your guts out. Next time you probably not gonna pick the same looking mushroom. You not gonna say "oh maybe it was just the first one that was bad". So yes, humans function this way, even unconsciously.

Now of course, people are not mushrooms. But if you interact with, lets say, one blink. They're annoying af. Another blink: annoying af. A third blink: annoying af. You gonna start seeing a pattern and connecting the dots. Whatever the reason, maybe this group draws to it a particular demographic that you don't resonate with at all. It's possible. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, only that it's very human to proceed this way. It's not that problematic as long as you don't become very zealous about it.

Your text was so good, but them you aimed it to blinks...

• I don't think you are wrong, but I remembered you made a thread generalizing the blink fandom about "our" obsession towards fashion so you do have a point here, but...... Anyways, everybody generalizesScreenshot_20210222-211256.png something unfortunately.

Screenshot_20210222-211256.png

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!